Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of guys who never visit the gym? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Disco)
    You have, rather crudely, changed the nature of the arguments. There are very few sports that require obsessive amounts of time lifting weights. Of course footballers lift weights occasionally, but there is no correlation between the quality of the footballer and capacity to lift bits of metal. The same is true of all sports that have any kind of cerebral requirements.

Define obsessive. Sure you dont need to, but if two players are equally skilled then the stronger of the two will come out on top.

And no. I meant that you will probably only be intellectually fit for manual labour. It is perhaps an unfair assumption, but the quality of your arguments has done little to dissuade such a notion.

Oh I'm sorry, I didnt relaise that a person such as yourself could determine where one's future lies based on their posts on a student forum. Personally, I would have though a person with such intellectual prowess, which you keep harping on about, would have came to a similar conclusion

You seem to be suggesting that only by going to the gym can one maintain a healthy lifestyle. Shall I explain for you why this is incorrect? Or were you being disingenuous? I never said such a thing and you are just pulling stuff out of your ass. You just seem to think that going to the gym is like a big gay orgy, now would you like me to explain to you why that is incorrect?
    See bold hunny.

ReputationRep:
    Weak argument.

Clearly I was making reference to the thread as a whole. And we are not talking about people that go to the gym for 3-4 hours a week.

You can't just type OWNED and consider yourself to have achieved some kind of victory. We'd all like to be our own critics.

You have done nothing to dispel the increasingly convincing suggestion that there is a negative correlation between time spent at gym and intelligence.
    find me a person who goes for longer than 3-4 hours a week? you probably can but i guarantee the majority dont go any longer than that.

lol.... you avoided all of my points and the only come back you had was 'oh i didnt mean them' and ' i meant this thread'

THATS weak.

then cue the final comment to make yourself sound witty.

listen, just walk away now. you are losing......badly.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't give a damn, being outside is better anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i honestly couldnt care less. Brains are sexier
    as long as there are no moobs

I find people who go to the gym very often a little bit pathetic really.
    Yes because looking after your health is pathetic. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMorgan26)
    You may find this article and the linked studies interesting http://www.marksdailyapple.com/monda...mb-jocks-myth/

I still fail to see how wanting to increase self-confidence is a bad thing? If bodybuilding does it for them and makes them feel better about themselves then good for them.
    That's a credible looking source.

I'm done with this thread.

No gym-goer (I don't know the correct term; ****-sucker perhaps?) has said anything recently that wasn't said, and responded to, earlier in the thread.

BYE

ReputationRep:
    That's a credible looking source.
    The New York Times, reporting on Society for Neuroscience, one of the most respected conferences in medical science? Please don't tell me you're so stupid that you look at a blog's title and ignore where the information actually comes from... actually, based on your rampant homophobia and obvious insecurity about your own sexuality, you almost certainly are fairly dim since bigotry does tend to be associated with limited intelligence. That, and truly intelligent people don't tend to feel the need to **** themselves off about it on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    What's a gym?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care if he doesn't go to the gym all of the time, but it is attractive for a guy to be healthy and take care of themselves.

Give me someone sporty over someone lazy who lives off of pizza and sits in front of the PS3 all day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    The New York Times, reporting on Society for Neuroscience, one of the most respected conferences in medical science? Please don't tell me you're so stupid that you look at a blog's title and ignore where the information actually comes from... actually, based on your rampant homophobia and obvious insecurity about your own sexuality, you almost certainly are fairly dim since bigotry does tend to be associated with limited intelligence. That, and truly intelligent people don't tend to feel the need to **** themselves off about it on the internet.
    Strangely, if I am going to do some research, my starting point is not TSR.

Clearly, I was being disingenuous when describing gyms as gay. It was done to expose the insecurity of the sorts of people who use phrases like "beta male" and "hench". Frankly, being mistaken for gay is a compliment, given that gay men tend (note that this is a generalisation) to be more intelligent (objectively) and better dressed (subjectively).

Also, I did glance at the article. It points out that physical exertion improves the mental capacity of rats. I thought this was fitting.

ReputationRep:
    "Hey man, wanna go play some video games?"

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking I go for guys who go to the gym regularly because it makes it easier for them to understand why/how i'm in the gym 5 days a week looking after my own body. I do like the well defined, muscular physique - the bigger the better.

I find guys who dont go to the gym themselves a bit of a turn off - gym shows that you make the effort to look and feel good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)
    Generally speaking I go for guys who go to the gym regularly because it makes it easier for them to understand why/how i'm in the gym 5 days a week looking after my own body. I do like the well defined, muscular physique - the bigger the better.

I find guys who dont go to the gym themselves a bit of a turn off - gym shows that you make the effort to look and feel good.
    Can you not make the effort to look good without having to go to the Gym? I mean, I exercise fairly regularly by running and playing sport! It's quite easy to respect the amount of work you would do. You then have the possibility of your partner actually joining in with you. I don't think it can be made so black and white!

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between "going to TSR to do research" and "being too stupid to understand an article once it has been linked to you". You fall into the second category.

Clearly, I was being disingenuous when describing gyms as gay. It was done to expose the insecurity of the sorts of people who use phrases like "beta male" and "hench".
    Nothing clear about it. You were fixated on it even when absolutely nobody rose to the bait. You sexualised the idea of men exercising in a gym and talked about how much the mental image disturbs you. despite it allegedly disturbing you so much, you returned to the same phrase and imagery repeatedly. and finally started calling people who go to the gym "****-suckers". Think you need to sort out your own fixation, kid.

It's also fairly ironic that you accuse people who work out of being stupid, when you're the one linking a constant stream of immature homophobic slurs to your real name, university and degree course. Not what most people would consider wise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Just wondering. Does it put you off that a guy never goes to the gym and pulls weights/works out? The guy is not fat or anything, he just doesn't have the typically buffed up gym body and would rather spend his time doing other things.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest x

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between "going to TSR to do research" and "being too stupid to understand an article once it has been linked to you". You fall into the second category.

Nothing clear about it. You were fixated on it even when absolutely nobody rose to the bait. You sexualised the idea of men exercising in a gym and talked about how much the mental image disturbs you. despite it allegedly disturbing you so much, you returned to the same phrase and imagery repeatedly. and finally started calling people who go to the gym "****-suckers". Think you need to sort out your own fixation, kid.

It's also fairly ironic that you accuse people who work out of being stupid, when you're the one linking a constant stream of immature homophobic slurs to your real name, university and degree course. Not what most people would consider wise!
    I have made no interpretation of the article, so your claim that I do not understand it is vacuous.

It was clear.

That you failed to recognise that fact reflects poorly on your comprehensive skills, kid.

Indicators of such include the repetition to which you made reference and the immature language (which, more observant readers will have noticed was not in keeping with the general, formal tone of my posts).

I have also been validated in the baiting by the sheer volume of antagonised "responses" from the unintelligent and insecure.

But like I said, unless you have anything to say on the matter that no-one else has, I'm done with this.

ReputationRep:
    I have made no interpretation of the article, so your claim that I do not understand it is vacuous.
    You didn't seem to understand that blogs link to other sources, which was my point. but hey, you seemed surprised that someone would claim exercise aids cognitive functioning hence you clearly know jack **** about medical science, so i'd be willing to bet you didn't understand the content either. arts students :rolleyes:

That you failed to recognise that fact reflects poorly on your comprehensive skills, kid.
    no, for real, because you were stupid enough to link your trolling account to your real life identity i know for a fact i'm a lot older than you. doesn't work junior

Indicators of such include the repetition to which you made reference and the immature language (which, more observant readers will have noticed was not in keeping with the general, formal tone of my posts).
    Epic backpedalling fail. It was entirely in keeping with the juvenile and sophomoric intellectual content, if not the pompous misused verbiage you insist on using to try and make yourself seem intelligent.

I have also been validated in the baiting by the sheer volume of antagonised "responses" from the unintelligent and insecure.
    Yeah, you said something stupid and homophobic... and people called you stupid and homophobic. That makes them the stupid ones?

But like I said, unless you have anything to say on the matter that no-one else has, I'm done with this.
    You said that before, I'll believe it when I see it frankly. You're too insecure to let anyone else get the last word in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    Can you not make the effort to look good without having to go to the Gym? I mean, I exercise fairly regularly by running and playing sport! It's quite easy to respect the amount of work you would do. You then have the possibility of your partner actually joining in with you. I don't think it can be made so black and white!
    Yes, there are other ways to excercise but there is something about going to the gym that shows a drive. Anyone can turn up and play a quick game of footy or pound a few pavements for an hour but going to the gym shows a desire to want to be better at whatever it is you do, or a drive to achieve a target. And that's pretty hot.

(Original post by dnumberwang)
    I would have thought actually looking good shows that you make the effort to look good much more than going to gym does
    Well obviously that comes into it too, but i'd rather date a physically fit lad who wasn't facially the most attractive than an unhealthy lad with the "perfect" face

ReputationRep:
    You didn't seem to understand that blogs link to other sources, which was my point. but hey, you seemed surprised that someone would claim exercise aids cognitive functioning hence you clearly know jack **** about medical science, so i'd be willing to bet you didn't understand the content either. arts students :rolleyes:
    That site is going to be selective in the findings it presents and comments upon, given that it is a website about going to the gym.

Again, you have misrepresented me. I found it to be uninformative in so far as it failed to tell me anything I was unaware of before. Far from expressing surprise, I was disappointed by the lack of new information being presented to me. But clearly you know jack **** about how language works.

no, for real, because you were stupid enough to link your trolling account to your real life identity i know for a fact i'm a lot older than you. doesn't work junior
    No, for real, because your posts read as if they were written by someone a lot younger than me. Doesn't work kiddo.

Epic backpedalling fail. It was entirely in keeping with the juvenile and sophomoric intellectual content, if not the pompous misused verbiage you insist on using to try and make yourself seem intelligent.
    Your arbitrary use of adjectives aside, you have essentially conceded that you failed to notice that I was being disingenuous.

Also, you accuse me of having employed "misused verbiage", but do not provide a single instance of it.

Yeah, you said something stupid and homophobic... and people called you stupid and homophobic. That makes them the stupid ones?
    Didn't happen. Only you have accused me of being homophobic and, as mentioned, this can be explained by your poor skills of comprehension. The general reaction was defensive.

You said that before, I'll believe it when I see it frankly. You're too insecure to let anyone else get the last word in.

Your whole post is characterised by dishonesty.

ReputationRep:
    Again, you have misrepresented me. I found it to be uninformative in so far as it failed to tell me anything I was unaware of before. Far from expressing surprise, I was disappointed by the lack of new information being presented to me. But clearly you know jack **** about how language works.
    Clearly. I was under the impression that someone disappointed by the lack of new information would, you know, say that. Or similar. Not just "that's a credible source" and nothing else, implying the information is not reliable, not that it was unoriginal. I guess I don't understand "lying moron" as well as I thought after all. Give me a refresher class after you return from your trip up your own ********, will you?

Your arbitrary use of adjectives aside, you have essentially conceded that you failed to notice that I was being disingenuous.
    No, see, I don't think you were. I think you genuinely meant it, and now you're pretending you didn't. There was nothing in your tone to imply you didn't genuinely believe what you said. The tone was juvenile because you and the sentiments contained in those posts are juvenile. Even a professional pompous ass would realise they sounded like a tit looking up "grunting sweaty men" in the thesaurus for another childish over-embellished post, and you're just a gifted amateur.

Also, you accuse me of having employed "misused verbiage", but do not provide a single instance of it.
    well, for a start, "comprehensive skills" refers to skills that are widely encompassing, not skills of comprehension.

Your whole post is characterised by dishonesty.
    Don't know about that, I was spot on about you being too insecure to actually go, wasn't I?

Now you're boring me, so I'm not going to bother replying anymore. And I, unlike you, mean it. So, to sum up:

1. You're a dickless homophobe who doesn't even have the courage to stand by your own bigotry.
    2. Using words you don't understand doesn't make you sound clever to anyone who actually has a degree.
    3. Don't link your ****ty blog if you don't want people to be able to see you really have no grounds questioning anyone's exercise routines, when your personal appearance indicates posting on TSR is the extent of yours. An unkind person would share that personal embarassment of yours with the thread. An alternative would be not linking your ****ty blog to your real life identity; I'd probably go for both, as I really wouldn't want to be associated with either.

Before replying, please see 1 and 2 above again if there's any confusion. I think any answer I give beyond that would be superfluous and pandering to your pathetic attempts to backpedal. Toodles, Sir Twinkalot. Be careful not to catch the gay, I know it's scary being around sweating and grunting men but I'm sure you can control yourself if you try.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2011
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.