I'm going to be in The Times on Friday! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Today two guys came to our school from the Times Education Supplement, to ask a group of the sixth formers about their thoughts on top-up fees. Our head of sixth form Ms Julian said it was open to volunteers but virtually made me go, seeing as I'm doing A-Level Politics and am known to be quite intelligent (lies!). I was happy to go because I'd miss a Politics lesson .
So three Year 13s and three Year 12s went. First the photographer took mugshots of us. Then the journalist took each of us aside and asked us questions, and our views on the top-up fees. Then we had a group chat about it and they took more photos.
Me and my mate expressed support for the fees and the other four were against. My mate argued that the ordinary taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for a student to go to university. Whereas I argued that too many people are going to university anyway and the fees may eliminate stupid courses like Meat Studies. I said they would also turn a degree into an investment that the student has to consider the risk of, therefore putting some off rubbish courses and revaluing the academic courses.
The journalist was impressed with us because we offered more than one point of view and reasoned them well. So not a bad day.
I'm receiving a copy of the Times Education Supplement on Friday so I can see how my photos came out. But I know I'll be buff so look out for yours truly!
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Today two guys came to our school from the Times Education Supplement, to ask a group of the sixth formers about their thoughts on top-up fees. Our head of sixth form Ms Julian said it was open to volunteers but virtually made me go, seeing as I'm doing A-Level Politics and am known to be quite intelligent (lies!). I was happy to go because I'd miss a Politics lesson .
So three Year 13s and three Year 12s went. First the photographer took mugshots of us. Then the journalist took each of us aside and asked us questions, and our views on the top-up fees. Then we had a group chat about it and they took more photos.
Me and my mate expressed support for the fees and the other four were against. My mate argued that the ordinary taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for a student to go to university. Whereas I argued that too many people are going to university anyway and the fees may eliminate stupid courses like Meat Studies. I said they would also turn a degree into an investment that the student has to consider the risk of, therefore putting some off rubbish courses and revaluing the academic courses.
The journalist was impressed with us because we offered more than one point of view and reasoned them well. So not a bad day.
I'm receiving a copy of the Times Education Supplement on Friday so I can see how my photos came out. But I know I'll be buff so look out for yours truly!
how can we recognise u mr truly? wot were u wearing etc?
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by ]{ingnik)
how can we recognise u mr truly? wot were u wearing etc?
I'm the Asian guy.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm the Asian guy.
typical, ensuring a miniority group was represented
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
do you have a problem with that?
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by corey)
Three of the group was black. Representative of the school! Though by no means representative of the mainly Asian area, unless you include the neighbouring Hackney. Probably a part of the country dead against fees.
pedy1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Three of the group was black. Representative of the school! Though by no means representative of the mainly Asian area, unless you include the neighbouring Hackney. Probably a part of the country dead against fees.
lol, i was just making a joke about political correctness...i didnt mean it completely personally about your school!
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the back of my head was in the guardian education section when i was in year 11.
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by corey)
lol, i was just making a joke about political correctness...i didnt mean it completely personally about your school!
I got the joke, I just thought I'd explain some more.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got the joke, I just thought I'd explain some more.
are u a man of your word jewel?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by corey)
Sad thing is, my school actually did that. Being a private school in a fairly rural area, we did't have many ethnic minorities; almost all the school was white, with one black girl (my roommate in the year of the story) about 3 Asian kids and quite a few Chinese/Taiwanese people in the 6th form. So in one particular publicity shot (advertising our "diverse community" or something, they put all of them in, with a few white faces scattered in.

Fair enough, I'm not saying that they shouldn't have been in the photos, but it kinda gives a misleading idea of what the place was really like!
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you're referring to The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES), that's a separate publication of the same company, not in The Times newspaper. Otherwise you mean the Education section of T2.
DanMushMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Sad thing is, my school actually did that. Being a private school in a fairly rural area, we did't have many ethnic minorities; almost all the school was white, with one black girl (my roommate in the year of the story) about 3 Asian kids and quite a few Chinese/Taiwanese people in the 6th form. So in one particular publicity shot (advertising our "diverse community" or something, they put all of them in, with a few white faces scattered in.

Fair enough, I'm not saying that they shouldn't have been in the photos, but it kinda gives a misleading idea of what the place was really like!
its a bit like the cambridge prospectus for my year, which had a black student on the front and quite a lot inside - not exactly representitve
Kalypso
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
If you're referring to The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES), that's a separate publication of the same company, not in The Times newspaper. Otherwise you mean the Education section of T2.
There is also a publication called The Times Educational Supplement (TES).

http://www.tes.co.uk/

Since he said TES, it is likely that the TES is precisely what he meant.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Congrats. Interesting view that you've put forward. Made me look at the British idea of top up fees in a new light. However, I hope to God that Mr John Howard doesn't get his way here. He has chosen a slightly different approach that will only allow the rich kids to get a degree *sighs* I like the idea of top up fees more already.
sarahwhatevver
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jools)

Aww come on, let him have his moment of glory...at least he can have a good time anticipating his great pictures...
Just kidding ZJuwelH!! (: (:
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
There is also a publication called The Times Educational Supplement (TES).

http://www.tes.co.uk/

Since he said TES, it is likely that the TES is precisely what he meant.
Ah. Shame to break it to him then that he's not actually going to be in The Times !
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Ah. Shame to break it to him then that he's not actually going to be in The Times !
Unless he were to do a decent armed holdup, perhaps even a siege of sorts. Then The Times would be quite pleased to exhibit him as a once time 'good widdle boy'
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
woah **** stop the presses....I've been on TV a few times so there
get over yourself, it was meant to be mildly funny.

and yes i've been on the tv (news interview at my school)
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Do I detect a note of resentment there Jools? Have you ever been interviewed for The Times or Times Educational Supplement?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads