I'm going to be in The Times on Friday! Watch

This discussion is closed.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
We were all sixth formers. And we will be paying them for one or two years.
why will you be paying them? are you taking gap years?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
why will you be paying them? are you taking gap years?
Because they come into effect in 2006. Doesn't that mean I will be paying them for my third year?

Anyone know how the fees affect postgraduates?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Because they come into effect in 2006. Doesn't that mean I will be paying them for my third year?

it only comes into effect for dirst year students. you pay the same fees that you do when you first start. e.g. if i stayed in uni on a 25 year course (or something stupid like that) i would still only pay £1125 a year
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

They only affect people who start in 2006.

I don't think they have any effect on postgrads.... fees for them are already way more expensive anyway aren't they?
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
it only comes into effect for dirst year students. you pay the same fees that you do when you first start. e.g. if i stayed in uni on a 25 year course (or something stupid like that) i would still only pay £1125 a year
Aren't those just the tuition fees as they are? What about the top-ups?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Aren't those just the tuition fees as they are? What about the top-ups?
i will never have to pay topups in my life, because i started in 2003 and i will always go by the 2003 system
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
i will never have to pay topups in my life, because i started in 2003 and i will always go by the 2003 system
Jammy cad...

So does that mean I'm not liable even though they come into effect in my third year?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Jammy cad...

So does that mean I'm not liable even though they come into effect in my third year?
correct.

about postgrads: they pay 100% full fees (something like £10000 a year) anyways
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
correct.

Dude, if you're right, KERCHING!!!

But I'll check anyway.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Dude, if you're right, KERCHING!!!
I am right. hence the reason why people wont want to go on a gap year in 2005.
jammyd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
correct.

£10000, thats a lot. My brother wanted to study post grad at LSE and he found out it was £8000 for 10 months.
prince_capri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)

gdgd
Juwel
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
Suppose I'll take your word for it mate, in which case <does a little bhangra jig>

Wait until my sixth form finds out...
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Suppose I'll take your word for it mate, in which case <does a little bhangra jig>

Wait until my sixth form finds out...
elpaw is right....
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
So why then after the vote on Tuesday were all these students quoted saying "I won't be able to afford them", "This will mean poor students won't get the opportunity to go to university" etc?
Under £15k is a very low threshold - this will seriously affect a lot of people, some poor, some working class, many neither, but no less deserving. The principle of variable fees...is going to create a market...in a market the rich flourish and the poor founder. Yes, the concessions will help. BUT you would be foolish to think that even with the concessions many are not going to go for the cheapest courses. Furthermore, this principle will affect the choices of people right up the income ladder - by any measure, someone who has two parents earning, say £11k each, is poor.

The one lasting thing in this bill is the principle of variable fees. The rest is window dressing, and can be taken away at a future date. But the variable fees will still be here, increasing yet further. That is what is most dangerous about this bill.

Besides, my reaction was largely a result, not of the specifics, but of the blasé generalisation that most of those who oppose top-up fees must be less well-informed than yourself.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
correct.

we pay full fees but they vary depending on your course. Mine is £1500 per year but my flatmate is paying £6000 per year. The only people paying as much as £10000 are internationals one of the girls in my flat is international and doing an engineering postgrad her fees are £12000.

I think postgrad fees will go up tho in future.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I don't understand why journalists persist in asking "how top-up fees will affect you" to students over the age of 16 as they will not be paying them! The only one on the piece that LH copied whose opinion has any validity is the 16 year old girl - the rest don't count!

Why did your school ask 6th formers to opine Zjuwel?
The reason I posted this is because I knew that the only undergrads to be affected by top-ups fees would be those starting their degree courses in 2006, i.e. current Year 11 and those in 6th form who decide to take gap years and then starting in 2006 (they would be foolish to do this!)

I'm surprised that your school, ZjewelH, didn't appreciate that either when asked to supply student representatives. Why ask people unaffected by the proposals what effect it will have on them - it won't have any effect

I shall repeat the fact that NO student starting their course before 2006 will, at any stage pay top-ups fees, regardless of the length of their course. Also, the tuition fee which is currently paid up-front each year will be paid after graduation (from 2006) for those commencing degrees prior to 2006. So someone starting their course in 2005 pays £1,175 upfront for that first year and then relevant tuition fees for following 2 or 3 years AFTER they graduate.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads