Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin6767)
    If you check the actual wording of the pledge he signed it states "to pressure the government to introduce a fair alternative."

You forgot to mention the bit where he promised to vote against any increase.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how long it will be until he breaks publicly? I'll be relishing that day.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh i'm glad he pointed it out, I'm not entirely familiar with what a human being looks like, I could easily have mistaken him for an inanimate object.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lesbionic)
    His son calls him 'papa' rofl lolwut?
    His wife is Spanish so what exactly is the problem with a boy who is half Spanish calling his dad papa ?

Nick Clegg committed career suicide when the tuition fee scandal went down.

The future people of Britain will always remember that they are in considerably more debt because of him and they wont forget it.

He made the mistake himself by being so adamant that he could help students.

The problem isn't his son asking questions, the problem is he doesn't have the balls to tell his son exactly why they all hate him.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why everyone hates Clegg.

If he didn't join the coalition, he would never have got ANY power under our system (and no referendum to get any power in the future) - therefore having no chance to do anything about uni fees. Conservatives still would have raised them. He joined a coalition to get the party actually involved in something that might change the country...and of course he had to change some of his "promises" because when you join a Coalition, that's what you DO. Considering it was vast majority Tory, of course he couldn't disagree with their stance on that. Besides, all politicians break promises, at least this one didn't involve starting a war or building a 3rd runway. Grow up and get over it. At the next election I'm still voting LibDem. And of course he wants "power"; that's the WHOLE POINT of becoming a politician, so you might get some. Sure he might have been "representative" of students before, but with no power that would mean bugger all anyway.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12987846

Nick Clegg fears how attacks on him are affecting his children. His 9 year old asked him "why are the students angry with you Papa?", he also reveils how he cries to music. Am I the only one that finds this a bit stomach turning? In answer to little 9 year old Clegg Junior's question he should have responded with something like; I sold my principles for a nice shiny chauffeur driven car, a snifter of power and a higher pay packet. I sort of promised the students they wouldn't leave university in tens of thousands of pounds worth of debt to start their careers with, but don't worry you wont have to know that horror thanks again to Papa's higher wage packet and the vast sums of money we already sit on. Plus we also have the millions Grandpapa is leaving us which we can use to support you while you do a prolonged internship in the city for no pay whatsoever.

Nick if you are feeling bullied in the work place that may result in depression or defamation of character then call Lawyers 4 you and they will make the mean people stop bullying you for selling principle for profit.

Seriously how can he expect anyone to feel sorry for him? "I cry regularly to music", You're a politician, grow the **** up and take responsibility for your actions. If you think students will be forgiving you anytime soon by going on a "pity me" whine you are very much mistaken.

Dear Nick, I know you were the one that neg repped. Trust me it wont help you, now get off TSR and go back to work. No better still sit there and do nothing.
    I think the man's a bit of an arse but he doesn't deserve to be hounded by abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    The pledge was signed on the basis that it was a Liberal Democrat government. As one can see, it isn't.
    No it was not.

'in the next parliament'

ReputationRep:
    I'm more irritated about the blind pack-mentality abuse that goes on around things like this, I bet half the people in those comments don't even know what they're angry about.

Anyway, he made a mistake but I don't think he's that bad, although this was a silly thing to say in an interview I suppose whatever he says he's going to get flak for it, he should just give up and go and live in Spain if you ask me, it's pointless for anybody to try and appease the British general public these days because apparently everybody in power is useless, go and bloody do it yourself then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dirtyoldriver)
    I'm more irritated about the blind pack-mentality abuse that goes on around things like this, I bet half the people in those comments don't even know what they're angry about.
    That's certainly true, I agree.

Politicians that form the government after the election always do a u-turn on some of their policies, probably because they tend to advocate unworkable or unrealistic policies (viz. no tuition fees in this economic climate). If they don't do that, then they won't get any votes, because of the superficial nature of most our media. The very same superficial media is now inciting this anger against Clegg...

Of course Nick Clegg is not a punchbag......punchbags don't complain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I think the man's a bit of an arse but he doesn't deserve to be hounded by abuse.
    He really does deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    I meant NUS are minor in respect to the relative power of the union comparative to working unions. The student vote maybe a fair size but students and young people are the least likely to vote in elections, thus making them less attractive to heavily canvass.
    You may contest the point but Labour was ready to negotiate with the Lib Dem's, even offering them the AV referedum before the Conservatives. Of course the Lib Dem party hierarchy would deny it, it makes their decision appear more reasonable. The numbers didn't add up for a "rainbow coalition" to for majority government but it would have been enough to form a minority government over the tories. The main stopping point was that Gordon Brown would have remained PM. I go agree with Nick Clegg's refusal to form a coalition with him as PM, that would have backfired. A documentary I found interesting that explained these points was " The 10 days that changed Britain" on the BBC, it may still be up on iplayer. If you want an impartial review of the events I suggest you watch it.
    Every time Nick Clegg speaks he ends up tripping over his own tongue, what could he possibly have thought he would achieve by giving this interview about not being a punchbag? Bring his children into the argument and talking about how he cries to music will do him no favours. It just seems like a desperate plea for clemency.
    Minor in comparison to other unions perhaps, but the NUS carries a lot of young voters behind it, a lot of whom are much more politically engaged and vocal than older and more apathetic voters.

When a respected politician like Shirley Williams admits that there was no hope of a coalition with Labour, I would tend to believe her, she has no need to play politics. I haven't seen the documentary, thanks for pointing it out to me.

A minority LabLib would've still needed agreements and concessions with other parties to pass motions of confidence. If Labour had been willing to coalesce, I still think its clutching at straws to see LibLab as a practical solution.

On your last point, I agree. Self-presentation is not Clegg's strong point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    He really does deserve it.
    Not really. A polititian *shock horror* went back on his word! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    I don't get why everyone hates Clegg.

If he didn't join the coalition, he would never have got ANY power under our system (and no referendum to get any power in the future) - therefore having no chance to do anything about uni fees. Conservatives still would have raised them. He joined a coalition to get the party actually involved in something that might change the country...and of course he had to change some of his "promises" because when you join a Coalition, that's what you DO. Considering it was vast majority Tory, of course he couldn't disagree with their stance on that. Besides, all politicians break promises, at least this one didn't involve starting a war or building a 3rd runway. Grow up and get over it. At the next election I'm still voting LibDem. And of course he wants "power"; that's the WHOLE POINT of becoming a politician, so you might get some. Sure he might have been "representative" of students before, but with no power that would mean bugger all anyway.
    Finally some sense.

I really don't see why the liberal democrats get there own special circle of hell for "breaking" their promise, labour and tory etc do it all the time...

In my opinion the best test to decide if a political party or leader has betrayed you is to look at the circumstances of an issue and whether they have acted in accordance with their core principles. Nick Clegg may have made some unpopular decisions but the idea that has betrayed anyone is crazy. Anyone here who thinks tuition fees wouldn't have been raised if either labour or the tories had a majority is kidding themselves, and at least this way the lib dems have fought for fairer ways to pay them back etc.

You can't have it all. That's a fundamental consequence of democracy

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.