Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    he didn't slave through med school....or get a PHd....

I call him "dentist".....although we are on a first name basis....so its coolio
    no they slaved through dentistry school which previously addressed in this thread is just as long also requires the same grades...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insomnia)
    Dentists hold the right to call themselves Dr .... Do you agree that they should use this title before their name?
    I think you need to get out more if you have an issue with some dentists calling themselves Dr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xEndeavors)
    I always call my dentist Doctor. What else would I call him? :confused:
    By his/her name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renlok)
    By his/her name?
    :no:

I have this weird thing about calling adults by their first names. Addressing my dentist by his name would be like calling one of my parents or teachers by his/her name. Too weird for me

ReputationRep:
    This should really be up to the dentists preference...at the moment the honorary doctor title is available to dentists to signify a high level of academic education in a similar way to medics.

A lot of dentists don't use it as they like to be on 1st name basis. Whilst others, especially hospital dentists, find it easier to be called 'doctor'.

So, in my opinion, when a dentist introduces themself pay attention to what they say and respect it...I'm sure it should be obvious that he's a dentist not a gp/history phd.

I don't think the general public should be in any position to seriously comment on the use of dr. by dentists as there are severe misconceptions about the difficulty of both the training and work of dentists.

Please excuse the slightly aggressive tone of this post.

ReputationRep:
    I just think it's a little misleading to the general public. Imagine if there was a cardiac arrest on a plane and someone shouted "Is there a doctor on board?" Admittedly it's not as bad as if a history PhD graduate were to respond, but most dentists aren't competent to perform advanced or even intermediate life support and so I think the title lends itself to dangerous situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electricjon)
    I just think it's a little misleading to the general public. Imagine if there was a cardiac arrest on a plane and someone shouted "Is there a doctor on board?" Admittedly it's not as bad as if a history PhD graduate were to respond, but most dentists aren't competent to perform advanced or even intermediate life support and so I think the title lends itself to dangerous situations.
    You said it yourself there. The only true (not honorary) doctors are phd's, who mostly have nothing to do with healthcare, so why does noone find their title misleading as well? If there's a cardiac arrest and there's no medic around, it would be a disgrace if a dentist didn't do his best in the situation, dentists are trained in competencies beyond basic life support (which would be good enough if there's no medic around), particularly if they've worked in a hospital setting.

If the dentist purposefully misleads people into believing they are medically qualified then that's an issue. A dentist in your example situation shouting out 'IM A DOCTOR!' would get into serious trouble!

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't like mine very much, and even if I did they can bugger off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insomnia)
    Dentists hold the right to call themselves Dr .... Do you agree that they should use this title before their name?
    Well seeing as my Dentist is my Mum, no I don't.

But quite a few dentists will be Dental surgeons so they will have the title Mr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by splitstriker)
    The only true (not honorary) doctors are phd's.
    I disagree. I think most people, when they think of the word doctor, imagine a medically trained person who is able to help the unwell. Nothing more, nothing less.

ReputationRep:
    If that's how they want to be addressed then yes I would, as it's their entitlement. It's mainly the younger ones that do though, the older generation still go by Mr/Mrs/Ms

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. I think most people, when they think of the word doctor, imagine a medically trained person who is able to help the unwell. Nothing more, nothing less.
    What I said there was a statement not an opinion. But I agree that the majority of the public imagine a medic upon hearing the title doctor. Let me rephrase my point from before - 'would you therefore think that phd doctors should not have their title as it can be misleading?'

ReputationRep:
    Something to think about from Call Me a Doctor- Nilesh Patel

'The GDC appeared to give much greater weighting to findings from other research it commissioned. However, I believe the questions to the public reflect a particular bias, such as the following question: 'Some dentists use the title of doctor. Which of the statements below do you think are true?' Among the answers available were: they have a PhD in dentistry, they have a medical degree, they have medical training, it is a courtesy title, they began their career as a doctor.

Unsurprisingly, the public gave a mixed response. I believe that if the organisation who carried out the survey had included the following statement as an option: They use the doctor title as they have a dental degree to this question - it could have provided a different result. Without that question, the other options/answers could be considered misleading.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by splitstriker)
    What I said there was a statement not an opinion. But I agree that the majority of the public imagine a medic upon hearing the title doctor. Let me rephrase my point from before - 'would you therefore think that phd doctors should not have their title as it can be misleading?'
    Yes. Many a time at a drunken house party I have had many heated arguments with PhD students about the validity of calling themselves Doctor. Then again, the word doctor comes from the Latin docere, meaning "to teach". So, medical doctors, who spend their lives teaching patients, juniors and colleagues, I think are afforded this title. If a PhD graduate teaches, then fair enough.

However, I look quite young. When I tell people I am a doctor, then often ask me "a doctor of what?" - that gets me REALLY annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xEndeavors)
    :no:

I have this weird thing about calling adults by their first names. Addressing my dentist by his name would be like calling one of my parents or teachers by his/her name. Too weird for me
    I feel wired doing it in some cases but my dentist atm looks like hes no older then me so it would feel more wired calling him dr

ReputationRep:

That's quite a silly example don't you think?

I think any PhD holder would be intelligent enough to not come forward as a Doctor in a health emergency.

*someone collapses*
    Person: Oh god! Is there a Doctor on board?
    PhD: YES I'M A DOCTOR!
    Person: This person needs medical help!
    PhD: Oh we should find a Doctor!
    Person: :confused: But.. You just said...
    PhD: No dear man, I am a PhD Dr!
    Person: :facepalm:

Seriously?

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Many a time at a drunken house party I have had many heated arguments with PhD students about the validity of calling themselves Doctor. Then again, the word doctor comes from the Latin docere, meaning "to teach". So, medical doctors, who spend their lives teaching patients, juniors and colleagues, I think are afforded this title. If a PhD graduate teaches, then fair enough.

However, I look quite young. When I tell people I am a doctor, then often ask me "a doctor of what?" - that gets me REALLY annoyed.
    Okay, your logic is starting to throw me now...what are your opinions on the german system of being called physician or dentist, with the doctor title being solely reserved for phd's?

If you are using the latin derivation of doctor, then you should also look at the definition for receiving an honorary doctor title being an education to an equivalent level as that of a doctorate. (e.g medicine and dentistry)

ReputationRep:
    "Alright Paul."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    he didn't slave through med school....or get a PHd....

I call him "dentist".....although we are on a first name basis....so its coolio
    You're right, he slaved through DENTAL school!

ReputationRep:
    I believe dentists should be Mr as they are dental surgeons and surgeons are traditionally called Mr.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.