Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Came across this one while working out electronic configs...

Transition metals have unfilled d-orbitals, yes? So the progression goes (through Period 4):
    Scandium (Sc)- 2,8,9,2
    Titanium: (Ti)- 2,8,10,2
    Vanadium (V)- 2,8,11,2
    etc etc ad nauseam UNTIL:
    Nickel (Ni)- 2,8,16,2
    Copper (Cu)- 2,8,18,1
    Zinc (Zn) 2,8,18,2

Now, given the above electron configs, one can assume the most stable ion by referring to the fully or half filled orbital rules. Therefore, logically, the most stable ion of copper would be 1+ (giving 2,8,18,0- a fully filled (and stable) d-orbital).

SO WHY THEN... does copper most commonly form the MORE stable Cu2+ ion?
    Cu2+ has a config of 2,8,17- the d-orbital requires another electron to be filled, making it more reactive.

This is annoying me, if any ideas please reply!

Ta

UDLM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UpsidedownLandMan)

Transition metals have unfilled d-orbitals, yes? So the progression goes (through Period 4):
    Scandium (Sc)- 2,8,9,2
    Vanadium (V)- 2,8,11,2
    Nickel (Ni)- 2,8,16,2
    Copper (Cu)- 2,8,18,1
    Zinc (Zn) 2,8,18,2

Now, given the above electron configs, one can assume the most stable ion by referring to the fully or half filled orbital rules. Therefore, logically, the most stable ion of copper would be 1+ (giving 2,8,18,0- a fully filled (and stable) d-orbital).

Cu2+ has a config of 2,8,17- the d-orbital requires another electron to be filled, making it more reactive.

Ta

UDLM
    This is an answer I found:
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...5123158AAQFjcO

ReputationRep:
    Chromium does a similar thing

It says in the textbook that 'it is suggested that electron repulsions between the outer electrons are minimised, resulting in an increased stability of the chromium and copper atoms'

So my idea is that if you have the same number of electrons in each orbital in the 3d subshell, it's more stable. So copper upgrades a 4s electron (because it has less energy) to fill in the last orbital. Same goes for chromium I guess.

Hope this vaguely helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UpsidedownLandMan)

Scandium (Sc)- 2,8,9,2
    Vanadium (V)- 2,8,11,2
    Nickel (Ni)- 2,8,16,2
    Copper (Cu)- 2,8,18,1
    Zinc (Zn) 2,8,18,2

Ta

UDLM
    You are quite right that on the basis of electronic configuration alone, you would expect Cu (I) to be the most stable.

However, in aqueous media Cu (II) is more stable as it has a much higher hydration enthaply (Cu (I) has a very low hydration enthalpy meaning it is only really found in the solid state).

(Original post by student777)
    Chromium does a similar thing

It says in the textbook that 'it is suggested that electron repulsions between the outer electrons are minimised, resulting in an increased stability of the chromium and copper atoms'

So my idea is that if you have the same number of electrons in each orbital in the 3d subshell, it's more stable. So copper upgrades a 4s electron (because it has less energy) to fill in the last orbital. Same goes for chromium I guess.

Hope this vaguely helped
    You are talking about the copper atom which promotes an s-electron to gain the extra stability of a full d-orbital. But the question was about the stability of Cu(I) vs Cu(II)

ReputationRep:
    Jahn Teller distortion? ie the d9 configuration has larger LFSE for the octahedral complexes or a +2 ion just gives the best lattice energy/ coulombic interactions in the compounds/complexes in compensation for the ionisation energy needed to remove electrons

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 7, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.