Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying at Kent, Nottingham and Southampton, for MA in archaeology programs. Does anyone have opinions or thoughts on these, positives or negatives I should consider?

And cheap restaurants nearby any of them as well!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, im also applying to Southampton for MA archaeology - do you have any specific questions? Im a student there now so can probably help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The university websites are a bit like a commercial to advertise themselves, I guess I'd like to know what students think.

How are the lab facilities, is there alot of volunteer time for students to get experience?

How does the module to study at the British School at Rome work, like applying for a scholarship?

How is living off campus, what areas of Southampton (or outside of the city) do grad students prefer to live in?

I was impressed by Southampton's labs, facilities, etc. Its like Christmas trying to decide.

Thanks,

Anita

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fohmar7887)
    Hi,

The university websites are a bit like a commercial to advertise themselves, I guess I'd like to know what students think.

How are the lab facilities, is there alot of volunteer time for students to get experience?

How does the module to study at the British School at Rome work, like applying for a scholarship?

How is living off campus, what areas of Southampton (or outside of the city) do grad students prefer to live in?

I was impressed by Southampton's labs, facilities, etc. Its like Christmas trying to decide.

Thanks,

Anita
    In terms of southampton;

The lab facilities as far as I am aware are excellent. The amount of opportunities you will get to use them depends on the MA - if you are doing the osteo/ceramics/human origins programmes there would be loads, the others im not sure as to how much lab work there is.

In terms of gaining experience, there are loads of excavation projects going on, which supervisors are more than happy for MA students to join (both in England and Abroad) especially if it is an area related to your MA or dissertation. The supervisors are really approachable for stuff like this. In terms of scholarships for the British School in Rome, i don't know much about it. But the Archaeology department has strong links with it because of its work at the Portus Project, which is ongoing, and again the supervisors are really keen for people to be involved so i think it should be the same case as the fieldwork experience in other areas.

Southampton - well it is ok. Its not a huge city, but the city centre has everything that all other big cities have in terms of shops and facilities. The university is located in a really student-y area, and most graduate students either live in houses close to the university, or in halls (which this year look to be really expensive).

I am biased because i already study at Southampton, but i think the department is great. I cant wait to do my MA there as well. Theres loads of things on for post-grads too, weekly seminars, conferences ect.

hope this has helped, any more questions id be happy to help with! which MA course are you applying for?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.