Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i got a B grade in AQA AS ICT. I want to try and get an A*.

From what i always heard, you need an A grade overall for AS then get an A* in EVERY A2 module you take... however my teachers will not allow me to resit any exams for this.

Looking over the specification, the requirements are slightly different. You seem to need an A grade overall for your A level, (the difference i think is, i mentioned AS before while this probably accounts for AS and A2) then get an A* in every A2 module.

If this is correct, does that mean its possible for me to still get an A* without redoing any of the AS exams to get an A (i dont have my A2 results yet)?
    Both AS and A2 are weighted at 50% each. (so a B overall for AS which represents 35% of the total 50, plus 45% of the total 50 for A2, should make an A, 80%)

Here is the specification.
    page 29 (section 5.7)
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2520-W-SP.PDF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    i got a B grade in AQA AS ICT. I want to try and get an A*.

From what i always heard, you need an A grade overall for AS then get an A* in EVERY A2 module you take... however my teachers will not allow me to resit any exams for this.

Looking over the specification, the requirements are slightly different. You seem to need an A grade overall for your A level, (the difference i think is, i mentioned AS before while this probably accounts for AS and A2) then get an A* in every A2 module.

If this is correct, does that mean its possible for me to still get an A* without redoing any of the AS exams to get an A (i dont have my A2 results yet)?
    Both AS and A2 are weighted at 50% each. (so a B overall for AS which represents 35% of the total 50, plus 45% of the total 50 for A2, should make an A, 80%)

Here is the specification.
    page 29 (section 5.7)
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2520-W-SP.PDF
    I'm doing the same as you. Yes, it is definitely possible to get an A* with a B at AS. You can get the lowest B possible and still get an A* so long as you get at least 90% in your A2 modules. So that means 90% for coursework and 90% for info3.

Out of interest, have you done the coursework yet? :P I'm major struggling here!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Just so you know, it's 90% as an average of your A2 modules: you could get 100% and 80% (if they were weighted equally).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaskade)
    I'm doing the same as you. Yes, it is definitely possible to get an A* with a B at AS. You can get the lowest B possible and still get an A* so long as you get at least 90% in your A2 modules. So that means 90% for coursework and 90% for info3.

Out of interest, have you done the coursework yet? :P I'm major struggling here!
    Ive done the coursework, have you?

ive pretty much ignored the deadlines to give it in because i had so much work to do, gave in a final copy to my teacher last friday... i kind of feel bad, not only is it in late but its 222 pages long lol (im not good at condensing points so i just type out everything that comes into my head). Hopefully ill be able to get atleast 63/70.

what do you think youll get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Just so you know, it's 90% as an average of your A2 modules: you could get 100% and 80% (if they were weighted equally).
    I must have misread the spec. Makes life better, since if i get a very high score for the coursework, the lower the mark i can get in the exam and still get 90% overall.

ReputationRep:
    You need an A overall in your a levels(a2 modules count towards that) , then in your A2 modules you need 90% overall.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I must have misread the spec. Makes life better, since if i get a very high score for the coursework, the lower the mark i can get in the exam and still get 90% overall.
    That's exactly what's motivating me to get top marks at AS-Level. Anything above 80% will make getting the A so much easier next year! I only really need an A* in Maths, but I guess I should aim for A* in my other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Ive done the coursework, have you?

ive pretty much ignored the deadlines to give it in because i had so much work to do, gave in a final copy to my teacher last friday... i kind of feel bad, not only is it in late but its 222 pages long lol (im not good at condensing points so i just type out everything that comes into my head). Hopefully ill be able to get atleast 63/70.

what do you think youll get?
    I'm not finisheeeeed I've still gotta do the last 2 sections.

****. 222 PAGES. YOU PUT MY 65 TO SHAME. I will probably finish with 100 max!!!!

Yeah I need at least 63/70 because i'm failing with the exam side... I just can't get an A... gonna have to revise tons when this is finished.

How long did it take to do the last 2 sections?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not finisheeeeed I've still gotta do the last 2 sections.

****. 222 PAGES. YOU PUT MY 65 TO SHAME. I will probably finish with 100 max!!!!

Yeah I need at least 63/70 because i'm failing with the exam side... I just can't get an A... gonna have to revise tons when this is finished.

How long did it take to do the last 2 sections?
    lool quality over quantity, im not good at summarising and stuff :P

by last two sections, you mean testing and evaluation right since the actual last section is the project report (you dont actually do much for it)

testing took ages, think half my coursework is testing alone. Have you done gcse ict, you know those LOOOONG implementation sections? its kind of like that, need to show lots of tests and show screenshots as evidence. ive been on and off with testing so im not too sure about how long in total, but id like to say maybe a week. evaluation was very simple, and the quickest to do. Couple of hours and youll have it done to a good standard. last draft mark i got for eval was 6/7.

same, actual exam i really dislike. doing good in info 4 means youve won the battle, but if you want to win the war, you need to smash info 3 exam since its 60% of A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    That's exactly what's motivating me to get top marks at AS-Level. Anything above 80% will make getting the A so much easier next year! I only really need an A* in Maths, but I guess I should aim for A* in my other subjects.
    lol, what A levels are you planning on doing next year (carrying on) ?

im doing a2 maths, physics, ict and technology right now
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    lol, what A levels are you planning on doing next year (carrying on) ?

im doing a2 maths, physics, ict and technology right now
    Given that my AS results are good: Biology, Economics, English Literature, Further Maths, Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Given that my AS results are good: Biology, Economics, English Literature, Further Maths, Maths.
    Wow, you must be gifted if you want to do all that.. since average is three A levels
    Remember, all those need to fit on your time table, even four can give a lot of clashes. Good luck with it!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Wow, you must be gifted if you want to do all that.. since average is three A levels
    Remember, all those need to fit on your time table, even four can give a lot of clashes. Good luck with it!
    I'm not so sure about gifted, just motivated and focused on goals!

My school managed to timetable the above subjects this year, so I expect I'll be fine carrying on with five.

Good luck with your A2 modules!

ReputationRep:
    lool quality over quantity, im not good at summarising and stuff :P

by last two sections, you mean testing and evaluation right since the actual last section is the project report (you dont actually do much for it)

testing took ages, think half my coursework is testing alone. Have you done gcse ict, you know those LOOOONG implementation sections? its kind of like that, need to show lots of tests and show screenshots as evidence. ive been on and off with testing so im not too sure about how long in total, but id like to say maybe a week. evaluation was very simple, and the quickest to do. Couple of hours and youll have it done to a good standard. last draft mark i got for eval was 6/7.

same, actual exam i really dislike. doing good in info 4 means youve won the battle, but if you want to win the war, you need to smash info 3 exam since its 60% of A2.
    Haha, I HAVE to know how to summarise when doing History and Philos :P

Yeah testing and eval, F*CK doing a week on testing! I'm just gonna spend a whole two days just on testing!! Alright, evaluation shouldn't be too bad...

Yeah, i'm just gonna have to knuckl down when it gets to the exam... I got 87 in unit 2 so it's not too bad

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I HAVE to know how to summarise when doing History and Philos :P

Yeah testing and eval, F*CK doing a week on testing! I'm just gonna spend a whole two days just on testing!! Alright, evaluation shouldn't be too bad...

Yeah, i'm just gonna have to knuckl down when it gets to the exam... I got 87 in unit 2 so it's not too bad
    for some reason, i cant do the ict exams... both the exams in AS i got a B in (info 2, i was one mark off an A)... resat info 1 like 3 times, kept getting a B.. i dont understand how thats possible....>:O

for the info 3 mock i did in jan, i got a C as well though to be fair i missed out the last question which was 20 marks... i prob could have got a high mark if i did it since i got full marks in the second last question (18 marks) that was alot harder.
    1 days worth of revision haha xD

ReputationRep:
    its 222 pages long lol
    Thank god I don't do ICT, that's about 111 times more than any one piece of work I can remember doing :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    for some reason, i cant do the ict exams... both the exams in AS i got a B in (info 2, i was one mark off an A)... resat info 1 like 3 times, kept getting a B.. i dont understand how thats possible....>:O

for the info 3 mock i did in jan, i got a C as well though to be fair i missed out the last question which was 20 marks... i prob could have got a high mark if i did it since i got full marks in the second last question (18 marks) that was alot harder.
    1 days worth of revision haha xD
    Ahh well I get a C in unit 1 so it did level me out to a high B! Yeah sometimes resits don't help... But for any help on the pre-release stuff/general revision tips for INFO3 my friend has started a forum. here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=30789863

It hasn't got going yet but once we've done the coursework it will be in full flow :P

I did a mock earlier this month and I got a C with one days revision before too xD I was okay with that as I knew i would revise a lot more! I'm dreading after easter

ReputationRep:
    Ahh well I get a C in unit 1 so it did level me out to a high B! Yeah sometimes resits don't help... But for any help on the pre-release stuff/general revision tips for INFO3 my friend has started a forum. here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=30789863

It hasn't got going yet but once we've done the coursework it will be in full flow :P

I did a mock earlier this month and I got a C with one days revision before too xD I was okay with that as I knew i would revise a lot more! I'm dreading after easter
    Thanks for the link
    ah, cant under estimate this exam, no chance for a resit either. time to get psyched up for monday, and revise 'ARD till the exam......ROARRRR >:O

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link
    ah, cant under estimate this exam, no chance for a resit either. time to get psyched up for monday, and revise 'ARD till the exam......ROARRRR >:O
    Ahhhh i know, imma start revising after easter... my bet's that environment will come up at least once :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    My cws at 170 pages and my teachers marked it at 64/70. Iv got a low B at AS Level..

Resitting Info2, and doing Info3.

If i get 90% in the cw, what UMS will i need to get an A for my A2 Level.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.