Calculating pKa Watch

smoozth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,
I'm trying to calculate pH on a Casio fx-85 and I'm not getting the right answer. I'm doing pKa = -log(10)*(2.3x10(-1)) (for example)
and I'm getting -0.23

What am I doing wrong
Dynasty
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_dissociation_constant
JK471993
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is the answer 0.638...?
You aren't putting the 10 in are you? Just do -log(conc. H+)
Pew-Pew
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That asterisk implies you're putting a multiplication sign in there? That's where you're going wrong.
Vinchenko
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by smoozth)
Hi,
I'm trying to calculate pH on a Casio fx-85 and I'm not getting the right answer. I'm doing pKa = -log(10)*(2.3x10(-1)) (for example)
and I'm getting -0.23

What am I doing wrong
I really have absolutely no idea why you're putting that sum in, it makes very little sense! What you might be doing wrong is that the log button on a casio calculator automatically makes it log to the base 10, so the 10 is unnecessary, so long as you just use the button with 'log' written on it, NOT the one with log and two strange bars diagonally right and up. So if you were trying to get pKa from a Ka, then it's just -log(2.3x10^-1) to use your numbers, I'm not sure why you're multiplying. If you're trying to get pH from a pKa....

pKa= -log(Ka)

To find the pH from a pKa, you need to do 10^-pKa, which gives you the Ka.

Then, bearing in mind that Ka=[H+]x[A-] all over [HA], and that [H+] = [A-] under most circumstances, we get Ka=([H+]^2) / [HA] , where [HA] is the intial conc. of the acid.

Just rearrange this to get [H+]^2 = Ka x [HA]

Then, find the square root of that to give you [H+] and then put it into the pH=-log[H+] to get the pH.
Vinchenko
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JK471993)
Is the answer 0.638...?
You aren't putting the 10 in are you? Just do -log(conc. H+)
That gives pH, they're trying to find pKa! Which is -log(Ka). I think she's doing log to the base 10 of 10 and then multiplying it by the Ka...
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (611)
91.19%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (59)
8.81%

Watched Threads