Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm trying to calculate pH on a Casio fx-85 and I'm not getting the right answer. I'm doing pKa = -log(10)*(2.3x10(-1)) (for example)
    and I'm getting -0.23

What am I doing wrong

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_dissociation_constant

ReputationRep:
    Is the answer 0.638...?
    You aren't putting the 10 in are you? Just do -log(conc. H+)

ReputationRep:
    That asterisk implies you're putting a multiplication sign in there? That's where you're going wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smoozth)
    Hi,
    I'm trying to calculate pH on a Casio fx-85 and I'm not getting the right answer. I'm doing pKa = -log(10)*(2.3x10(-1)) (for example)
    and I'm getting -0.23

What am I doing wrong
    I really have absolutely no idea why you're putting that sum in, it makes very little sense! What you might be doing wrong is that the log button on a casio calculator automatically makes it log to the base 10, so the 10 is unnecessary, so long as you just use the button with 'log' written on it, NOT the one with log and two strange bars diagonally right and up. So if you were trying to get pKa from a Ka, then it's just -log(2.3x10^-1) to use your numbers, I'm not sure why you're multiplying. If you're trying to get pH from a pKa....

pKa= -log(Ka)

To find the pH from a pKa, you need to do 10^-pKa, which gives you the Ka.

Then, bearing in mind that Ka=[H+]x[A-] all over [HA], and that [H+] = [A-] under most circumstances, we get Ka=([H+]^2) / [HA] , where [HA] is the intial conc. of the acid.

Just rearrange this to get [H+]^2 = Ka x [HA]

Then, find the square root of that to give you [H+] and then put it into the pH=-log[H+] to get the pH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK471993)
    Is the answer 0.638...?
    You aren't putting the 10 in are you? Just do -log(conc. H+)
    That gives pH, they're trying to find pKa! Which is -log(Ka). I think she's doing log to the base 10 of 10 and then multiplying it by the Ka...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.