Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I have both AS and A2 exams in May/June. Can anyone remember the questions they got this January (our thereabouts) so I can practice them? I guess that these exact topics wont come up this time around so it should narrow the field as well.

AS: I’m aiming for:
    Hardy’s poetry in Section A
    Gatsby, Kite Runner and Ancient Mariner in Section B

A2: I’m studying:
    Dracula
    Macbeth
    Frankenstein

Thanks.

I also posted this advice if it helps. Maybe others could contribute, expecially to the A2!

AS Exam.
    Section A Question A is only AO2.
    This means you do not have to worry about it looking like an essay with an intro, conclusion, or making an argument. Just talk about how the author/poet creates what you see on the page. Make sure to mention the form, structure and language as you answer. Do not talk about their lives (contexts of production) or what you think of it (reception). It’s easy to just talk about the methods the guy is using.

Section A Question B
    Is the inverse of this. Just talk about what the poet/author was trying to do, how critics have commented on it and what you think of it in the modern day. This one is AO1, which means it should look like an essay. Intro, para 1, para 2, para 3, conclusion etc.

I would aim for about 1 page per question (above). Just don’t waste time by talking about stuff that would earn you points in the other question. You might see it as easier that they have separated out a 1-hour exam question into two separate ones. Though the fact that a lot of students are not taught about AO's means they can do dreadfully on the exam, crap.

Section B
    This is much harder to revise as the question can be so varied. What you can be sure of is it picking out a specific aspect of storytelling (like places, key events) and asks you to explain how this happens in each of your three texts.
    This uses AO1 AO2 AO3 (NOT PRODUCTION/RECEPTION) so I think it is best to have an essay template in mind. Something like:

Intro (one sentence that briefly sets out what links your three texts)

P1: This happens, quote, this happens, quote, which leads me to conclude...
    P2: This happens, quote, this happens, quote, this supports/detracts from...
    P3: This happens, quote, this happens, quote, what we think now fem/marx/relig/psycho, my own interpretation.

For each of your texts.

Conclusion. Tie all three texts together in a sentence or two. Consider particular strengths you have spotted.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by dark night)
    Hey,
    I have both AS and A2 exams in May/June. Can anyone remember the questions they got this January (our thereabouts) so I can practice them? I guess that these exact topics wont come up this time around so it should narrow the field as well.

AS: I’m aiming for:
    Hardy’s poetry in Section A
    Gatsby, Kite Runner and Ancient Mariner in Section B

Dracula
    Macbeth
    Frankenstein

Thanks.

I also posted this advice if it helps. Maybe others could contribute, expecially to the A2!

AS Exam.
    Section A Question A is only AO2.
    This means you do not have to worry about it looking like an essay with an intro, conclusion, or making an argument. Just talk about how the author/poet creates what you see on the page. Make sure to mention the form, structure and language as you answer. Do not talk about their lives (contexts of production) or what you think of it (reception). It’s easy to just talk about the methods the guy is using.

Section A Question B
    Is the inverse of this. Just talk about what the poet/author was trying to do, how critics have commented on it and what you think of it in the modern day. This one is AO1, which means it should look like an essay. Intro, para 1, para 2, para 3, conclusion etc.

I would aim for about 1 page per question (above). Just don’t waste time by talking about stuff that would earn you points in the other question. You might see it as easier that they have separated out a 1-hour exam question into two separate ones. Though the fact that a lot of students are not taught about AO's means they can do dreadfully on the exam, crap.

Section B
    This is much harder to revise as the question can be so varied. What you can be sure of is it picking out a specific aspect of storytelling (like places, key events) and asks you to explain how this happens in each of your three texts.
    This uses all the AO’s so I think it is best to have an essay template in mind. Something like:

Intro (one sentence that briefly sets out what links your three texts)

P1: This happens, quote, this happens, quote, what the author wanted to do/contexts of production, interpretation.
    P2: This happens, quote, this happens, quote, what a critic said, interpretation.
    P3: This happens, quote, this happens, quote, what we think now fem/marx/relig/psyhco, interpretation.

For each of your texts.

Conclusion. Tie all three texts together in a sentence or two. Consider particular strengths you have spotted.
    Thanks for the tips for Section A, however you've got your information slightly wrong for Section B.

Section B does not require any contextual elements (only AO1, AO2 and AO3 are tested).

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Dracula
    Macbeth
    Frankenstein
    I didn't do any of the same texts as you, but the Section B questions in January were, roughly:
    To what extent is gothic literature always shocking?
    Are gothic characters always haunted by their past mistakes?
    To what extent is the gothic genre a melodramatic genre?

The last two I can't quite remember exactly but they were along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    are you sure this is for the as exam? are you doing travel, transport and locomotion?
    I really need help too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Thanks for the tips for Section A, however you've got your information slightly wrong for Section B.

Section B does not require any contextual elements (only AO1, AO2 and AO3 are tested).
    WOW. i have checked this and i believe you are right!

SAQA - AO2
    SAQB - AO1 AO3 AO4
    SB - AO1 AO2 AO3

Thanks for this, major uturn in my practice essays! I have amended the original post. Any further tips?
    Why the king bell do they not make this AO stuff more visible. Its not like the exam question tells you this.

Is it not a little bit of a grey area, if you talk about, for example, Coleridge's 'willing suspension of disbelief' theory affecting how you INTERPRET the text. Though that is historical, you are talking about how we interpret the text, so AO3 again?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    i will check this but im 99% certain that Section B (three texts bit) really does use all AO's.
    It covers AO1, AO2 and AO3. Check AQA's mark schemes if you don't believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    It covers AO1, AO2 and AO3. Check AQA's mark schemes if you don't believe me.
    you are correct, see post above yours. thanks for the clarification.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.