Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Organ/Blood/Bone marrow donation Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you
    A registered organ donor, registered bone marrow donor, and a regular blood donor?
    15.94%
    A registered organ donor and a regular blood donor but not a registered bone marrow donor?
    19.32%
    A registered organ donor only?
    26.57%
    A regular blood donor only?
    7.73%
    Some other combination of the above?
    6.28%
    None of the above; but I would be at least some of these if I could
    11.59%
    None of the above; I would but I'm scared
    5.31%
    None of the above; as I can't be arsed.
    7.25%

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious about how people here compare to the national average. (Currently, around the UK, 28% of the population are on the organ donor register, 4% are regular blood donors, and 1% are on one of the three bone marrow registers.)

ReputationRep:
    Probably compare a general figure between the ratio of number of people who actually donate, relative to the number of people who are eligible to donate.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I meant to make a point about not everyone being eligible to donate (although I've no idea how many are eligible on each of the three). Also, I should have stuck an option in along the lines of "None, other reason", just to be comprehensive.

ReputationRep:
    I am an organ donor, signed up years ago. Have not thought about being a blood donor really. I will have to consider it.

ReputationRep:
    I donate blood and I'll donate bone marrow when I'm eighteen.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Have not got round to becoming an organ donor. Something I have been meaning to do though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Have not got round to becoming an organ donor. Something I have been meaning to do though
    It's actually a very simple process - you just have to fill in an online form on the NHS blood and transplant site. It's also worthwhile to tell your family about your decision, just so they're aware of your wishes in the event of your passing.

ReputationRep:
    On the organ donor register since I was 14, as soon as I'm 17 (July) I'll start giving blood too. Never read about the bone marrow donor registry, I thought it was just that they ask family members to donate bone marrow if they turn out to be a match? But I will definitely look at it

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the organ donor register and I'm also a blood and platelet donor.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the organ donor register, donate blood/platelets as often as I'm able to, and am considering joining the bone marrow register (I've done it before, but wasn't registered at the time because it was for a relative).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    On the organ donor register since I was 14, as soon as I'm 17 (July) I'll start giving blood too. Never read about the bone marrow donor registry, I thought it was just that they ask family members to donate bone marrow if they turn out to be a match? But I will definitely look at it
    About 30% of people who need a haematopoietic stem cell transplant (which can be from bone marrow, peripheral blood stem cells, or umbilical cord blood) find a match among their close relatives. The other 70% depend on donors from bone marrow registers, or from frozen cord blood donations. (More here). As you're planning to be a blood donor, it's probably easiest to just ask about it before giving your regularly scheduled pint at some stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deebles)
    About 30% of people who need a haematopoietic stem cell transplant (which can be from bone marrow, peripheral blood stem cells, or umbilical cord blood) find a match among their close relatives. The other 70% depend on donors from bone marrow registers, or from frozen cord blood donations. (More here). As you're planning to be a blood donor, it's probably easiest to just ask about it before giving your regularly scheduled pint at some stage.
    Ahh cool Thanks for the info, I definitely will ask about it the people who'd receive it would need it more than me. That's the whole thing about organ and blood donation - there are people out there who need it far more, so why not?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree more, and I'm glad you found it helpful . Once you turn 18 (sadly, it's that rather than the 17 it is for blood donation) I'm sure they'll be very glad to have you on the register.

ReputationRep:
    Registered organ donor and on the Anthony Nolan bone marrow/stem cell registry.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't given blood yet!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a registered organ donor and I plan to give blood as soon as I can (I got a piercing last September so I have to wait ).

ReputationRep:
    I'm a registered organ donor but not blood or bone marrow. I would give blood but I don't weigh enough and I've never thought about bone marrow donation as it isn't something I've heard much about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emi_sarb)
    I'm a registered organ donor but not blood or bone marrow. I would give blood but I don't weigh enough and I've never thought about bone marrow donation as it isn't something I've heard much about.
    Unfortunately, bone marrow donation uses the same lower weight limit as blood donation for eligibility, so if you're too light for one, you're too light for both.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I can't give blood because of the drugs I am on, but I am a registered organ donor.

I didn't know you could donate bone marrow :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Registered organ donor, and because I am under 17, pre-registered bone marrow and blood donor.
    Too many people in my family would have died without the help they have received from these donations. I don't think it would be right for me not to pass on the gift.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm an organ donor. Are you supposed to get a card or something?

Once I'm out of uni (and y'know healthy) I'll give blood. Never thought about bone marrow, probably join up at some point.

I'd feel guilty taking an organ if I wasn't willing to give mine in return after my death.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.