Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Organ/Blood/Bone marrow donation watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Are you
    A registered organ donor, registered bone marrow donor, and a regular blood donor?
    15.94%
    A registered organ donor and a regular blood donor but not a registered bone marrow donor?
    19.32%
    A registered organ donor only?
    26.57%
    A regular blood donor only?
    7.73%
    Some other combination of the above?
    6.28%
    None of the above; but I would be at least some of these if I could
    11.59%
    None of the above; I would but I'm scared
    5.31%
    None of the above; as I can't be arsed.
    7.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laughylolly)
    Really? hmm...

When my mum had bone marrow biopsies (I guess they use the same method as they would for taking out bone marrow for transplants) and she said it wasn't so much painful but it was this weird sucking sensation

As far as I know, in most cases now what they do is they give the donor a drug with increases the amount of stem cells and lets some flow into the blood stream. They then take blood out (like a blood transfusion) and they separate the stem cells from the red blood cells/platelets etc. Then then harvest the stem cells etc. before putting them into patient. I think it is only for younger children or siblings that they use the method where they actually take the bone marrow out of the donor.
    Well hopefully they will never call me, but if it hurts, it hurts, c'est la vie. The sly *******s came to the union bar and signed me up when I was drunk.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it does hurt to donate bone marrow ( and apparently you can donate in the same way you donate blood these days) its still an honor to know that you have saved a life.I might never get called to donate my BM but I'm still proud to be on the list.

ReputationRep:
    Registered organ and bone marrow donor (haven't given either yet), and I've given blood a couple of times. I need to get round to going again, but my last time was a bit horrible so I want someone to come with me and hold my hand :colondollar:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Even if it does hurt to donate bone marrow ( and apparently you can donate in the same way you donate blood these days) its still an honor to know that you have saved a life.I might never get called to donate my BM but I'm still proud to be on the list.
    It definitely is worth it. When I'm old enough I'm going apply to be put on the list (although I'm not totally sure if I can if my mum had Leukemia... will have to find that out.)

I'm so grateful for the person who donated for her. It was a anonymous donation. All we knew was that they were american and male... I wish I could make another person and family happy for doing the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    I clicked a combination of the above. I'm registerd on the bone marrow and organ register but I've never given blood before. I would love to but everytime they come to college I've either been ill, underage or I just wasn't there. Planning on going to a local blood donation place near me though.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone if there will be a possible clash of interest if i sign up for both registers (bone marrow and Anthony Nolan)? Will I be eligable to donate twice or are they in someway linked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T'archer)
    Does anyone if there will be a possible clash of interest if i sign up for both registers (bone marrow and Anthony Nolan)? Will I be eligable to donate twice or are they in someway linked?

Or if you do sign up to both it might increase your chance of being called up as a donor.I dont think there is a link between Anthony Nolan and there bone marrow list.

ReputationRep:
    Giving blood for the first time in September this year :awesome: my birthday is in July but the donation van isnt in the area until September

ReputationRep:
    When a search is carried out it covers all national registries, so joining up to more than one is completely pointless. The British and Welsh BMRs are there for political reasons rather than practical reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I've been giving blood frequently for years, but I haven't got round to organ donation. I'm not sure why, the idea creeps me out slightly (even though I'll be dead, I know) yet needles inserted into my blood vessels for around 15 minutes I don't think twice about. Probably will man-up in the future though.

I quite like the idea of my body being used for some biology class to study :P "and here we can see the result of years of alcohol abuse".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    When a search is carried out it covers all national registries, so joining up to more than one is completely pointless. The British and Welsh BMRs are there for political reasons rather than practical reasons.
    Okidoke, so i'm just as likely if I sign up for the nolan charity to be selected to go to a hospital elsewhere?

Cheers btw

ReputationRep:
    Haven't gotten around to signing up to donate my marrow yet! I guess I'll enquire about it next time I'm giving blood

ReputationRep:
    organ donor. Also, give blood. Have only done it once though as started on a bunch of vaccines soon after.

ReputationRep:
    Okidoke, so i'm just as likely if I sign up for the nolan charity to be selected to go to a hospital elsewhere?

Cheers btw
    How do you mean? Bone marrow can be frozen for transport, I've seen it delivered from Germany previously for a patient.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I've given blood once, and now want to move to give platelets. I've done the platlet test, and having the test for some antibodies females might have, its taking them AGES to get back

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I've ticked the Organ Donor box (on my form for a provisional driving license, I think) Given blood 4 times now and signed up to the Bone Marrow Register when I last gave blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweety0471)
    Hey,
    I've given blood once, and now want to move to give platelets. I've done the platlet test, and having the test for some antibodies females might have, its taking them AGES to get back
    You donate whole blood anyway, you don't choose to donate red cells, plasma etc, whole blood is taken then seperated into red cells, platelets, plasma etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    You donate whole blood anyway, you don't choose to donate red cells, plasma etc, whole blood is taken then seperated into red cells, platelets, plasma etc.
    I'm switching to just platlets, as they want it more and I can donate more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweety0471)
    I'm switching to just platlets, as they want it more and I can donate more
    You can't give just platelets. They take whole blood, and use what they can from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    You can't give just platelets. They take whole blood, and use what they can from it.
    http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/
    The link to some information,

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.