Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Organ/Blood/Bone marrow donation watch

• View Poll Results: Are you
    A registered organ donor, registered bone marrow donor, and a regular blood donor?
    15.94%
    A registered organ donor and a regular blood donor but not a registered bone marrow donor?
    19.32%
    A registered organ donor only?
    26.57%
    A regular blood donor only?
    7.73%
    Some other combination of the above?
    6.28%
    None of the above; but I would be at least some of these if I could
    11.59%
    None of the above; I would but I'm scared
    5.31%
    None of the above; as I can't be arsed.
    7.25%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweety0471)
    http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/
    The link to some information,
    ok, thats a new one on me. Sounds similar to how they take peripheral stem cells.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I don't think it's that common, as in there isn't many clinics.
    you can only give if you have enough platelets and they take small amounts of blood at a time, centrifuge it and then return the blood. It takes longer (2 hours) but you can do it monthly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T'archer)
    Okidoke, so i'm just as likely if I sign up for the nolan charity to be selected to go to a hospital elsewhere?

Cheers btw
    Yep, that's right. And all the registries would much rather you signed up to just one, since otherwise it risks wasting their time and money processing your spit sample etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the organ donor register and haven't been eligible to give blood since I was old enough all for temporary reasons; firstly because I weighed to little (yes I am aware of how it looks to say this while having a weight loss ticker in my signature but I never TRIED to be that small I was ill ) then I got my ears pierced a few times and then got a tattoo. I don't plan on getting any more non NHS needles stuck in my body though! and once I can I will donate blood and sign up for the bone marrow register.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an organ donor, was a blood donor until I had a transfusion and anyone who's had one can never give blood again (unless they find a test for CJD)

ReputationRep:
    Turned 17 and gave blood two days later I plan to sign myself up as soon I get my driver's license (seems a fair deal: my organs for a driver's license XD)

ReputationRep:
    I'm an organ donor, and i'll sign up to be a bone marrow donor when i'm 18. I've not donated blood yet though. Yet.

ReputationRep:
    I feel obliged to point out (ie, whinge) that as someone who has ever had sex with another man, I'm ineligible to ever donate blood or bone marrow, because of the associated risk of infection.

NHS policy

This doesn't sit well with me at all, but hey - discrimination, whatever the justification, comes with the territory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    TBF, when I signed up to be a bone marrow donor, they did warn me it would be by far the most painful and debilitating fortnight of my life.

My god, what have I done :facepalm2:

(Original post by laughylolly)
    Really? hmm...

When my mum had bone marrow biopsies (I guess they use the same method as they would for taking out bone marrow for transplants) and she said it wasn't so much painful but it was this weird sucking sensation

As far as I know, in most cases now what they do is they give the donor a drug with increases the amount of stem cells and lets some flow into the blood stream. They then take blood out (like a blood transfusion) and they separate the stem cells from the red blood cells/platelets etc. Then then harvest the stem cells etc. before putting them into patient. I think it is only for younger children or siblings that they use the method where they actually take the bone marrow out of the donor.
    I think theres two types of ways of donating it and the most common is the less painful one where they take it out with blood and then theres the less common one where you are put to sleep and they actually take marrow out of your bone which is meant to be quite painful for a while afterwards.

as I understand it the second way is a lot less common but I don't think you get to decide I think it depends on exactly what the patient needs.

I plan on signing up as soon as I'm eligible and I really hope if I'm ever contacted its for the first type! not that I would actually say no if it was the second but I would prefer it not to be

ReputationRep:
    My blood is pretty much useless, and i'm not gonna give up any of my organs, people can die for all I care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    I think theres two types of ways of donating it and the most common is the less painful one where they take it out with blood and then theres the less common one where you are put to sleep and they actually take marrow out of your bone which is meant to be quite painful for a while afterwards.

as I understand it the second way is a lot less common but I don't think you get to decide I think it depends on exactly what the patient needs.

I plan on signing up as soon as I'm eligible and I really hope if I'm ever contacted its for the first type! not that I would actually say no if it was the second but I would prefer it not to be
    Most donations are peripheral blood, but bone marrow is still substantial (don't have the exact figures to hand, but pretty sure PB is about 1.5 times more common than BM). Donors do have the choice in what they want to donate: they can either say they want to only donate peripheral blood full stop, or they can say they'd rather donate peripheral blood unless there's a good reason why bone marrow is preferred. I don't think that is part of the registration process though, but something that is asked when a donor is contacted by a registry after a match has been found.

ReputationRep:
    I am signed up to donate everything after I die, except my eyes which are ineligible. I'm also ineligible to donate blood due to a genetic disorder. I have been looking into joining the bone marrow registry, but I won't until after I give birth (I'm 5 months pregnant).

But... stem cells, I had never thought of that - I wonder if there is a way I can donate my cord blood after birth? Something I will look into but if anyone has some information on hand it would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Most donations are peripheral blood, but bone marrow is still substantial (don't have the exact figures to hand, but pretty sure PB is about 1.5 times more common than BM). Donors do have the choice in what they want to donate: they can either say they want to only donate peripheral blood full stop, or they can say they'd rather donate peripheral blood unless there's a good reason why bone marrow is preferred. I don't think that is part of the registration process though, but something that is asked when a donor is contacted by a registry when a match has been found.
    I see thank you for giving me more information. I think I'd probably say that tbh I'd give someone it if it would actually benefit them more, I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I knew there was someone I was a match with and could help and didn't because I was to much of a wuss, but I don't want the extra pain for no reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellim)
    I am signed up to donate everything after I die, except my eyes which are ineligible. I'm also ineligible to donate blood due to a genetic disorder. I have been looking into joining the bone marrow registry, but I won't until after I give birth (I'm 5 months pregnant).

But... stem cells, I had never thought of that - I wonder if there is a way I can donate my cord blood after birth? Something I will look into but if anyone has some information on hand it would be greatly appreciated.
    Here you go

ReputationRep:
    All but bone marrow. Just never got round to enquiring about it really.

ReputationRep:
    when i was in hospital six years ago, i lost a fair amount of blood and had to have some, so i'm appreciative of people who give it
    i tried to give blood after that experience, but i was too thin at the time, they didn't want it. i keep meaning to try again - i just never get round to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becks__)
    when i was in hospital six years ago, i lost a fair amount of blood and had to have some, so i'm appreciative of people who give it
    i tried to give blood after that experience, but i was too thin at the time, they didn't want it. i keep meaning to try again - i just never get round to it.
    If you've received a blood transfusion since 1980 you can't donate. I'm in the same boat, it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    If you've received a blood transfusion since 1980 you can't donate. I'm in the same boat, it sucks.
    seriously? no one told me that. they said it was because i was too thin. well that sucks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I ticked all in the poll, but I'm not allowed to donate bone marrow - although I did look into it. I'm also not currently allowed to give blood due to medication but that may change in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was before 1980?

EDIT: my bad, just googled it. Wow, now I'm all confused about where the blood goes, how long it's stored etc. I see a late night of wiki research :ahee:

At least you still have the intention of giving blood!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.