Turn on thread page Beta

Where to study for a GDL leading to a career at bar? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I have offers of place for studying GDL at City, COL and Kaplan. I am quite confused as to which place is the best to study for a GDL when one intends to pursue a career at the bar. As far as I can comprehend, City offers maximum face to face tuition experience, COL offers excellent virtual study support, while Kaplan is a mix of both extremes and the staff has a welcoming attitude.
    Please help me in making an informed decision.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think it matters at all. It's a pretty standardised course. Pick the one you like best.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say City. There will be more people there who also intend to go to the Bar.

ReputationRep:
    City is the traditional one but it really doesn't matter at all to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring_barrister)
    Hi all,
    I have offers of place for studying GDL at City, COL and Kaplan. I am quite confused as to which place is the best to study for a GDL when one intends to pursue a career at the bar. As far as I can comprehend, City offers maximum face to face tuition experience, COL offers excellent virtual study support, while Kaplan is a mix of both extremes and the staff has a welcoming attitude.
    Please help me in making an informed decision.
    I'm probably reading too much into your choice of language, but be careful about thinking about the GDL "leading to a career at the bar". There are enormously more BPTC graduates than there are available pupillages - at least 4,000 graduates, according to the Bar Council, routinely compete for the less than 500 total pupillages that are available; most pupillages will have 70 applications for each place, and 200 is not unheard of. The unfortunate truth at the moment is that the majority of candidates who would make good barristers will not ever gain a pupillage; Simon Myerson QC goes as far as to say that the number one factor determining whether or not a good candidate gains a pupillage or not is "serendipity".

This isn't meant to needlessly discourage you, and I don't mean to impugn your ability to make your own decisions - it's simply important to understand the odds of obtaining a pupillage before embarking on the GDL.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I want to do GDL in 2 years when I finish my 4 year UG degree and basically I all I want to do after that is the Barrister course. I really don't want to be a sollicitor.
    What do they look for for pupillage and would it be possible to take a year out and apply again if you fail first time round?
    Atm I'm doing a language course and have noooo kind of expeience whatsoever in the legal sector.
    Any more extra random info about becoming a barrister after a GDL would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowsubmarine)
    Hi
    I want to do GDL in 2 years when I finish my 4 year UG degree and basically I all I want to do after that is the Barrister course. I really don't want to be a sollicitor.
    What do they look for for pupillage and would it be possible to take a year out and apply again if you fail first time round?
    Atm I'm doing a language course and have noooo kind of expeience whatsoever in the legal sector.
    Any more extra random info about becoming a barrister after a GDL would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks!
    Take a look round the forum, and at the following links:
    http://pupillageandhowtogetit.wordpress.com/
    http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/Careers...omeaBarrister/
    http://thepupillagepages.com/index.php
    http://www.lawcareers.net/Barristers/CareerPath.aspx

It is possible to apply for pupillage multiple times, and most candidates do. Most candidates are not successful in any given year (and I expect a majority of candidates are not successful ever, though I'm less sure on the statistics for this).

In the meantime, the best thing you can do for your odds is to get the best possible degree result--preferably a first. Seek some work experience or law-related volunteering to get a sense of the profession and what kind of work different barristers/solicitors do. This will also act as evidence of your motivation.

The Bar is an exceptionally competitive profession to enter, and one would be unwise to enter without considering carefully one's odds of success. It is also advisable to look into what solicitors do and consider that side of the profession. If you do apply for pupillage, you will inevitably be asked why you do not wish to be a solicitor. It's crucial that you have a cogent answer to that question. Given that you have no experience at all of the legal sector, and aren't sure yet how barristers train and qualify, I'd be uncertain about how well you understand the distinction. (I'm interested in the bar, but am also doing a vac scheme to see what it's actually like to work in a solicitors' firm--my director of studies *strongly* recommends this approach.)

Edit: Also, read Fysidiko's post above.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any information on the rough percentage of city's llb students that manage to get a training contract. I've been looking for this infrmation for a while now but have been unsuccessful. I know that City is highly regarded regarding graduate empoyment, but what about training contracts specifically? And typical salaries?

PLEASE QUOTE

ReputationRep:
    75% of people who take the BPTC will not go on to be a barrister. You need to be basically utterly amazing.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.