Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your take on open relationships? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Journeyzap)
    Hello TSR! The question is quite simple, what is your opinion / take on open relationships?

Yesterday my longterm 'boyfriend' and I changed the format of our relationship to an 'open' one, something I never thought I would ever do, though for our current situation I do believe it may well be the best solution.

Either way, I just wondered what your opinion on them are, and in the event of being in one in the past, what are your conclusions from it?
    Presumably if you're the one calling the open relationship then you will definitely benefit from it more than if you're the one who doesn't want the open relationship. I shouldn't imagine that any relationship would undergo circumstances that would force an you and your partner to hook up with other people though. Love should surely beat that.

My boyfriend had a girlfriend when we first started seeing each other and the consequences of that were a lot of tears and drama. Avoid at all costs.

EDIT:

Exactly why does this post have a negative rating? I'm sorry. Let me change my answer to the question: **** MONOGAMY GO HOOK UP WITH 20 OTHER PEOPLE WHISLT YOU'RE IN A RELATIONSHIP.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm fair enough then, I can understand but it does sound like the beinning of the end. If you do go back to a monogamous relationship though there might be a jealousy issue, what each of you did during that time/if only one of you became involved with someone else. It sounds like he's clinging on but you do both sound sensible so hopefully it will work out for the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reisen)
    Hmm fair enough then, I can understand but it does sound like the beinning of the end. If you do go back to a monogamous relationship though there might be a jealousy issue, what each of you did during that time/if only one of you became involved with someone else. It sounds like he's clinging on but you do both sound sensible so hopefully it will work out for the best!
    I see what you mean by jealousy, though I am quite sure if I did get involved with someone else I would tell him. Vice versa too. (Plus the involvement would probably lead to a relationship with the other person and cutting off this one, we aren't the kind of people to have a onenight stand or completely meaningless flings).
    Even though the situation is quite strange, he is not the sort of person to withold info, and neither am I : )

I think we both know it is as you say, the beginning of an end - but he was very intent on trying one last thing as opposed to just giving up. I have told him everything I've disclosed on this thread, so I think he is aware of the probable outcome.

Thank you though!

ReputationRep:
    OP post made me visualise changing the "in a relationship" setting to "in an open relationship" setting on Facebook. I need to get out more.

As for the actual question, hell naw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    OP post made me visualise changing the "in a relationship" setting to "in an open relationship" setting on Facebook. I need to get out more.

As for the actual question, hell naw.
    Hahaha
    I visualised the "it's complicated" setting. But no, it has nothing to do with Facebook. In fact, I believe my settings in regards to personal interests and relationships are set to be only viewed by me as I think 'private life' to be 'private', and those who know me well enough will know my situation without resorting to Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DumpOrStay?)
    I can only become emotionally attached to one person, tbh :dontknow:

And when I am, nobody can share her :rant:
    LOL that sounds so animalistic.

I guess we're still stuck in our primitive animal behaviours.

ReputationRep:
    No i don't like them, personally there not for me. I would be emotionally attached to the person, I am a preety jealous person so it won't work for me.

ReputationRep:
    My opinion is that they work for some but not for others.

If people are still able to maintain a happy and trusting relationship with someone whilst not being monogamous then yippee for them.

I personally wouldn't ever want to be in an open relationship, when I'm with a guy I want him all to myself. I don't even like thinking of dating a guy who is also dating someone else at the same time as me, as if me and the other girl are competing for affection/attention, trying to make ourselves the better person to date.

I'm not against open relationships, if I had a friend who was in one I wouldn't care, I just don't see how they could ever work long term and I'd never get into one myself because like I said before I wouldn't want my bf seeing/sleeping with anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I'm up for it as long as my girlfriend isnt doing the same.

ReputationRep:
    I say yes as long as I propose the idea first. If he does then no sayonara!

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in open relationships?
    I think they're pointless. You may as well be single. But hey, each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by open relationship? Most of my "relationships" from sixteen to nineteen consisted of having close friends who I'd also sleep with, and who were fine with me sleeping with others. Does that count?

Anyway, in my (experienced) opinion they're fine as long as they suit the people who are in them. Having nothing but fun for three years was great for me, but I realised as I got a little older that I was after something more. Now I'm in a long-term relationship and living with my girlfriend, as it's just as good as messing around with all comers was when I was a kid.

Do whatever makes you happy

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.