Turn on thread page Beta

Women: Exposing your breasts in public, Is it empowering or exploitating? watch

(Original post by Cicerao)
    I don't understand this modern idea that being a cheap skank is "empowering." And I'm not even just talking about flashing for strangers, but on a wider scale.
    What do you mean by a wider scale?
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    It's funny how if a woman exposes herself it's deemed to be 'female empowerment' yet if a man got his penis out in public and waggled it around infront of some girls he'd be called a pervert/creep/insert derogatory word.
    Tbf, men as a gender have never been oppressed in the way that women have, If a random women did expose herself to a random group of people in the street it would also be viewed as perverted but, if a drunk man did at a festival because a group of people told him to, it would probably be seen as "banter"

ReputationRep:
    Neither. It's just tacky behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do you mean by a wider scale?
    Just the whole attitude thesedays. "Yeahhhh I am gonna get so drunk I throw up in the street, how empowering!" "Woo, let's sleep around town, I'm so empowered!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    I'd rather stick red hot forks in my eyes than expose my breasts in public.
    Insecure?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't want pervy random men leering at my breasts.

ReputationRep:
    Never done it but even if I'm wearing a slightly lower cut top I get stares, beeping horns and wolf whistles and it just makes me want to cover up immediately (which I usually will do using a cardigan or something). I hate that men will stare at me like that, makes me feel violated. This is without cleavage as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Insecure?
    No, I just don't want people staring at my tits, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well I burn easily so 'tanning' would be a risk and I don't what a random bloke tells me to do coz I'm frigid.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I don't find it to be empowering, or exploitative, or sexy, or funny, or demeaning

... just feel a bit empty, like.. "Well what was the point of that?" and then start wondering what on earth is going through their puny little brains.

ReputationRep:
    How exactly could exposing your breasts in public be "exploitating"? Who are you "exploiting"? How does one "exploit" themselves. That makes no sense.

I can certainly see how it could be empowering, many people are fed up of being constantly constrained by clothes, especially when it's hot weather and they have to conform to some odd obsession about breasts.

(Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    It's funny how if a woman exposes herself it's deemed to be 'female empowerment' yet if a man got his penis out in public and waggled it around infront of some girls he'd be called a pervert/creep/insert derogatory word.
    Yet when a man exposes his nipples it's fine, the only part which has to be censored on a woman is the nipple. For some reason that part is deemed evil. It's ridiculous :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deema)
    Never done it but even if I'm wearing a slightly lower cut top I get stares, beeping horns and wolf whistles and it just makes me want to cover up immediately (which I usually will do using a cardigan or something). I hate that men will stare at me like that, makes me feel violated. This is without cleavage as well!
    I get that at work, I have to choose tops appropriately otherwise men stare down my top all day. Y'know out of sight out of mind and all that!

ReputationRep:
    Women are vile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey everyone, I was recently staying with some mates in America for Spring Break and whilst I was there partying there were dozens, if not hundreds of times when women (both and sober) exposed their breasts just because some guys wanted them to, or because they wanted to feel the sun on it or for some other reason. I've also noticed this happening at festivals and gigs and other places.

I was wondering: Have you ever exposed your breasts in public? Do you feel empowered by doing it (considering that in other countries that level of freedom doesn't exist for women)? What do you think of others who do it? Is it empowering or exploitative? And really why do you do it (or think others do it), I doubt anyone primarily does it to feel empowered, but if so it'd be interesting to hear why.

Cheers
    I don't expose my breasts in public, but I live by the saying: I'm not going to get my boobs out to make anyone happy but myself, and I'm not going to cover my boobs up to make anyone happy but myself.

So if I were to do it (I wouldn't, but anyway) it would be to feel empowered. I don't think it's exploitation as no one is physically forcing the women to get their boobs out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    No, I just don't want people staring at my tits, thanks.
    Because you're insecure about them? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deema)
    Why does it make you feel violated? I get guys doing this too (even in the winter when I'm wearing jumpers!) as I have big boobs but it just makes me laugh more than anything. I certainly wouldn't want to cover them up - they're my breasts, I shouldn't have to do anything because of silly juvenile men.

The only time I get irritated is when people try to touch my boobs. in my opinion that's going too far. But I really don't see the harm in people looking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Because you're insecure about them? :lol:
    Maybe she sees her tits as private and doesn't want them to be completely on show? It's not to do with insecurity. I personally don't care (I don't walk around with them hanging out, but I don't wear ridiculously high necked tops either) but some girls see breasts as something very personal. I can understand not wanting to expose your breasts.

ReputationRep:
    tits or gtfo

ReputationRep:
    Shall I go into Oxford street, get the girls out and then follow up with a survey? Maybe throw in a but of lesbian action...

?

OP needs to mature abit! Some people are comfortable with their bodies and being partially or completely nude when on a beach has nothing to do with sex! and wats the difference between your nipples being covered with wat is a slight bit of material or not! next thing your going to be saying is breast feeding should be illegal as its exploitation or people only do it to empower themselves..... na its to feed the baby. Ive been to many naturist beaches and it has nothing to do with exploitation or empowerment. Just comfort and being yourself in your own body!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Why does it make you feel violated? I get guys doing this too (even in the winter when I'm wearing jumpers!) as I have big boobs but it just makes me laugh more than anything. I certainly wouldn't want to cover them up - they're my breasts, I shouldn't have to do anything because of silly juvenile men.

The only time I get irritated is when people try to touch my boobs. in my opinion that's going too far. But I really don't see the harm in people looking.
    Because I can feel them mentally undressing me, sometimes they say really disgusting things. Same, my boobs are big so they're pretty obvious. But the way I see it, they're my boobs, why does every man and his dog have to enjoy the look of them? They're what I consider to be my private parts and to be honest I'd like to reserve them for whoever I'm with, not randomers who will potentially add them to their **** bank and fap over them. I'd like to go just one day without being harassed

Edit: Also, my body is not public property, I don't want to walk around knowing that I'm being used as a decorative object.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.