Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Women: Exposing your breasts in public, Is it empowering or exploitating? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    I get that at work, I have to choose tops appropriately otherwise men stare down my top all day. Y'know out of sight out of mind and all that!
    Exactly! Which is why I'm not as liberal with what I wear. It's my body, not public property.

^^^That, OP, makes me more empowered than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Because you're insecure about them? :lol:
    No, really, I'm not insecure about them. But I just don't see why I need to flaunt them. I mean, I don't like guys who go around with no shirts on, let alone women. I'd have no problem with a guy I was with etc seeing them. But the whole world, like a slapper on pg 3? No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deema)
    Because I can feel them mentally undressing me, sometimes they say really disgusting things. Same, my boobs are big so they're pretty obvious. But the way I see it, they're my boobs, why does every man and his dog have to enjoy the look of them? They're what I consider to be my private parts and to be honest I'd like to reserve them for whoever I'm with, not randomers who will potentially add them to their **** bank and fap over them. I'd like to go just one day without being harassed
    I understand that tbh, it can get really annoying, especially if you're on your own and it's night and there's a large group of loud bulders or something. The reason I just laugh is that I've kind of learned to live with it haha...my boobs are out there on my chest, so some smart alec is always going to comment, getting upset over it won't help. The guys who matter will see you for more than just a pair of tits.

Edit: Also, my body is not public property, I don't want to walk around knowing that I'm being used as a decorative object.
    This! I hate hate hate guys that talk to my boobs. The one thing I find really difficult is not being taken seriously because of them. Some guys just try to 'humour' me and act as if I'm automatically going to be an airhead because of my boobs, and I find that really annoying. Like I said though, the ones who matter won't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deema)
    Exactly! Which is why I'm not as liberal with what I wear. It's my body, not public property.

^^^That, OP, makes me more empowered than anything else.
    Yeah exactly...yknow if I wear tight jeans I can feel their eyes staring at my rear. Yknow sometimes it can be an ego boost if you're having a bad ugly day but sometimes it's just annoying!

I don't mind a compliment but when you're blatantly undressing me with your eyes it's a bit much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Yeah exactly...yknow if I wear tight jeans I can feel their eyes staring at my rear. Yknow sometimes it can be an ego boost if you're having a bad ugly day but sometimes it's just annoying!

I don't mind a compliment but when you're blatantly undressing me with your eyes it's a bit much
    Exactly, a compliment from a friend or acquaintance is nice. From the man as old as my dad on the street or passing me in his car? NO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I understand that tbh, it can get really annoying, especially if you're on your own and it's night and there's a large group of loud bulders or something. The reason I just laugh is that I've kind of learned to live with it haha...my boobs are out there on my chest, so some smart alec is always going to comment, getting upset over it won't help. The guys who matter will see you for more than just a pair of tits.

This! I hate hate hate guys that talk to my boobs. The one thing I find really difficult is not being taken seriously because of them. Some guys just try to 'humour' me and act as if I'm automatically going to be an airhead because of my boobs, and I find that really annoying. Like I said though, the ones who matter won't do it.
    Haha I know I know, I don't get upset about it most of the time I just ignore them and walk straight past. I made the mistake of laughing once on a train when an indian man called me beautiful and he ended up spending the rest of the journey trying to convince me to marry him. I was all alone and the train was empty, scariest 45 mins of my life! So yeah, now I just ignore them and walk away.

When it's coming from friends or people I know I don't mind But that's why I don't like putting my boobs on show, because it doesn't empower me. I'm empowered by the fact that I can show my boobs to whoever I want whenever I want, and that doesn't include the randomers Whoever gets to see them has to work for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deema)
    Haha I know I know, I don't get upset about it most of the time I just ignore them and walk straight past. I made the mistake of laughing once on a train when an indian man called me beautiful and he ended up spending the rest of the journey trying to convince me to marry him. I was all alone and the train was empty, scariest 45 mins of my life! So yeah, now I just ignore them and walk away.
    Bloody hell! Poor man, bet you broke his heart.

When it's coming from friends or people I know I don't mind But that's why I don't like putting my boobs on show, because it doesn't empower me. I'm empowered by the fact that I can show my boobs to whoever I want whenever I want, and that doesn't include the randomers Whoever gets to see them has to work for it
    Haha yeah, different people feel differently about things. I look at is as I'll wear whatever the hell I want, whether that means boobs out or not, because I dress that way for me. I usually don't have my boobs on show though.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to get leered at regardless of what you're wearing, and whether the social norm is for female breasts to be exposed or not.
    That's simply to ensure that we continue to reproduce, as a species.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    Would you say a guy wapping his **** out all the time is empowering for him?
    This. There’s a difference between being comfortable with your body and simply being distasteful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    It's funny how if a woman exposes herself it's deemed to be 'female empowerment' yet if a man got his penis out in public and waggled it around infront of some girls he'd be called a pervert/creep/insert derogatory word.
    It's hardly the same thing. A woman would be arrested for walking around with her vagina on show the same as any man would. But with the chest area the rules are different - in summer you often see men walking around topless. If a woman does it we hear words like 'skank' etc being thrown around. Breasts are really not that big a deal (to most other women, at least).

(Original post by righteous)
    It's just plain decency not to. Girls who don't have the restraint and decency not to rip their breasts out every opportunity they get disgust me. The same goes for women who wear very provocative clothing publicly.
    Some may claim it's liberating and an expression of emancipation or empowerment for many women, but to me it's quite simply indecent and sickening, fuelling lust and deviance.
    You are pathetic. How can you have so much disgust for the female body? I hope you know how much damage your hate - and the hate that comes from some other men like you - can and does cause. Women should not be made to feel that their bodies are disgusting or ashamed for having a sexuality (that was in regards to your comment about being 'provocative').

(Original post by Sorani)
    I think it's quite sad that breasts are so sexualised, and in turn sexuality is so demonised by certain people, that women would feel 'cheap' or 'disgusted' for exposing them.
    Exactly! Thank you.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I've breastfed in public but that's about it, and even then I've tried to be discreet. I've never just whipped my breasts out for no apparent reason or anything, nor do I have any desire to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    No, really, I'm not insecure about them. But I just don't see why I need to flaunt them. I mean, I don't like guys who go around with no shirts on, let alone women. I'd have no problem with a guy I was with etc seeing them. But the whole world, like a slapper on pg 3? No.
    Why does the body we were all born with offend you so much?

(Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    This. There’s a difference between being comfortable with your body and simply being distasteful.
    Why is someone's penis "distasteful"? Would you like it if I called your body "distasteful"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Why does the body we were all born with offend you so much?

I find naked bodies... unnerving. There are far nicer things in the world to look at. Although I find men attractive, I don't find naked men attractive (or women, for that matter). Like at my friends' house (shared uni house) in their living room they have a wall of hot men cut from magazines. They often pick their favourite etc and when I'm asked, I genuinly don't know which to pick- I just find all their naked bodies weird and they make me uncomfortable to look at.

ReputationRep:
    Certain body parts are deemed distasteful in various scenarios due to entrenched social issues, largely created and/or upheld by religion.

I for one have no problem with seeing anyone else's body's or having mine seen, however I also would like to keep a low profile and participate in a society of people who broadly speaking have a string of issues on the topic. So I fit in, as necessary.

It wasn't that long ago that in the UK seeing a woman's ankles was a bit risqué, so it'd be interesting to see how things fare in a century or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizzayBT)
    i have flashed people a couple of times (on request of course) and i find it empowering. i have generally low self-esteem and poor body image, so i find that getting out of my comfort zone really helps me out. especially since i dont get the reactions i expect to get (i had rather small breasts and i expect negative comments but i always get positive comments).
    You are so cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QI Elf)
    I find naked bodies... unnerving. There are far nicer things in the world to look at. Although I find men attractive, I don't find naked men attractive (or women, for that matter). Like at my friends' house (shared uni house) in their living room they have a wall of hot men cut from magazines. They often pick their favourite etc and when I'm asked, I genuinly don't know which to pick- I just find all their naked bodies weird and they make me uncomfortable to look at.
    Is it because you are ashamed of your own body?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd have much problem with cracking mine out. I'm confortable with them and it would be nice to not have tan lines.

To be honest, I've never understood why men can walk around topless and women can't. We both have nipples, the only difference is the fatty tissue surrounding it!

ReputationRep:
    My wife got them out in Bloomingdales, NY on our honeymoon.

ReputationRep:
    I love how someone mentioned sexually liberated. Like showing breasts makes you more of a modern day woman.

Why don't we all just start having sex in public ? That'll really liberate us.

I think it's a pathetic attempt to get attention. If I saw a girl do it I would instantly lose respect for her.

My gf's breasts are amazing and I know she would never do it. People tend to think that being nude and having sex with loads of people is liberating somehow but I'm not a chauvanist. The reason I'm glad my gf doesn't strip naked/flash/have lots of sexual partners is because I want parts of her to be only mine. My gf's had sex with one other guy and he's the only other person to see her naked and I'm happy about that. I know saying I want parts of her to be "mine" sounds weird and possessive but as far as I'm concerned she is mine and I'm hers.

ReputationRep:
    The fear of sunburnt nipples is enough to put me off exposing any boobage, ever.

Have no moral objecshuns tho'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.