Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello online peoples,

I'm currently on a gap year before going to study Medicine at Leeds in September. Looking for some advice on what subjects to brush up on and what might be helpful to have a look at before I start my course. Having taken a gap year I'm worried I may have forgotten some alevel stuff/ be out of the habit of learning. Also are there any books worth buying or should I just raid the library at uni? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're up to speed with your A-level stuff and you should be fine. Don't buy any books at least until they've sent you a reading list and preferably until you get to uni and can a)buy them cheaply from students in the years above and b)work out which ones you actually need your own copies of.

Then enjoy your summer
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Get straight in your head a note taking system/filing system so you can go in full rev without having to worry about any little 'administrative' things and just start learning/studying from day 1. That's what I'm doing.

e:

(Original post by Helenia)
    Make sure you're up to speed with your A-level stuff
    How important would you say this is?

ReputationRep:
    just look over your A level stuff if you have it, make sure you know the basics and topics (well, not the plant stuff obviously) well and can apply them....

its what I intend to do (will probably end up taking the A2 books with me )

ReputationRep:
    Great advice guys yeahh just not sure how relevant my alevel stuff is. Chem/bio will probably be revisted? As not everyone on the course will have done biology at alevel and a lot of chemistry won't be needed. Ah I dunor.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Do **** all and enjoy pre-medicine life.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's necessary to revise A-level stuff.

I don't think you'll be able to come up with a work style that suits you until you're a bit further into the course. Hardly anyone here works/takes notes in the same way that they did at the begining of the year.

Making sure you're organised is probably the best thing you can do. Anything that you can do now, before you get to uni, will save you a lot of hassle when you get here. That will allow you to settle in a lot better (and enjoy being a fresher!).

ReputationRep:
    I did jack.

I also did jack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    How important would you say this is?
    personally i would say that it isn't very important at all. i think A level material and its emphasis puts you in bad habits and can sometimes make it harder for you to get your head around how things actually work. that said the gist is worthwhile recalling but i wouldn't worry about the 'details'.

i'll give you an example because i don't think that's described very well haha!

so consider glucose metabolism in the last unit of the A2;

it would be worth remembering the gist (glycolysis --> pyruvate --> TCA --> ETC) but not to worry to much about details ('its first phosphoylated then there are many reactions catalysed by enzymes' - don't worry, you'll learn all about the steps and their regulation) because the A level doesnt considered other aspects (unless you have in your free time) such as entry of other sugars, disorders, points of regulation, effects of hormones, what about fats and proteins? [sugar is not the only important metabolite! - although others are not in glycolysis ] etc.

do you see what i mean? Helenia may have a different POV

it's the gist at most that's worth recalling, spend your time having fun is muuuuuuuuuuuuch more important! have a beer and sit in the sun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardd)
    get bent and suck a lemon
    I didn't know Nelson Muntz had a TSR account.

ReputationRep:
    So to summarise opinions so far...

Alevel stuff is revisited/taught again in more detail but knowing the basics form alevel will probably help.

Organisation = very important.

I should spend less time worrying about medicine and more time drinking beer in the sun outside thus making the most of my gap year'
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by John Locke)
    personally i would say that it isn't very important at all. i think A level material and its emphasis puts you in bad habits and can sometimes make it harder for you to get your head around how things actually work. that said the gist is worthwhile recalling but i wouldn't worry about the 'details'.

i'll give you an example because i don't think that's described very well haha!

so consider glucose metabolism in the last unit of the A2;

it would be worth remembering the gist (glycolysis --> pyruvate --> TCA --> ETC) but not to worry to much about details ('its first phosphoylated then there are many reactions catalysed by enzymes' - don't worry, you'll learn all about the steps and their regulation) because the A level doesnt considered other aspects (unless you have in your free time) such as entry of other sugars, disorders, points of regulation, effects of hormones, what about fats and proteins? [sugar is not the only important metabolite! - although others are not in glycolysis ] etc.

do you see what i mean? Helenia may have a different POV

it's the gist at most that's worth recalling, spend your time having fun is muuuuuuuuuuuuch more important! have a beer and sit in the sun
    No I see what you mean!

I think I'd prefer to be sat outside with a beer than re-revising some that stuff, haha. I think I must have just crammed all that metabolism stuff because I barely remember any of it now, but evidently knew enough in the exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medpotter)
    So to summarise opinions so far...

Alevel stuff is revisited/taught again in more detail but knowing the basics form alevel will probably help.

Organisation = very important.

I should spend less time worrying about medicine and more time drinking beer in the sun outside thus making the most of my gap year'
    I would say this for any degree course to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    - Spend time with your friends/family
    - If you're into drinking, drink
    - Sunshine and avoid libraries
    - Earn money for uni
    - Enjoy life and have fun
    - Learn to drive if you can't already
    - Your brain doesn't melt because you took a gap year
    - Don't get your hopes up that med school will be full of wild orgies, it will be less disappointing in the long run
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    To be fair, the best memories/studying occurs when new ideas are 'latched' onto older ideas - so you having learnt about (using John Locke's example) the Krebs Cycle for A2 will mean that when it's revisited early on in med school, you will have some "oh yeh! I remember!" moments so it'll be easier (theoretically) to study it. I don't think I'm gonna bother doing any of this 'studying' beforehand, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    prepare....your liver for some serious abuse.

And OFCOURSE brush up on your 'Banter'

ReputationRep:
    Hello online peoples,

I'm currently on a gap year before going to study Medicine at Leeds in September. Looking for some advice on what subjects to brush up on and what might be helpful to have a look at before I start my course. Having taken a gap year I'm worried I may have forgotten some alevel stuff/ be out of the habit of learning. Also are there any books worth buying or should I just raid the library at uni? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
    If I could go back I would have done more A level chemistry. I had a year between finishing it and starting med school and I get the feeling that biochem lectures might have been more than mindless drivel if I didn't have to keep reminding myself what reduction and oxidation were. You may not be quite so much of an idiot as me, though. You probably don't have to do everything - optimal isomers, organic chem, genetics, make sure you can down a pint in under twenty seconds and you'll be done.

ReputationRep:
    Listen in.

There is no point doing any work before medical school. You learnt a lot of over simplified, irrelevant bull**** that you spent weeks trying to understand that will be covered in an hour in a lecture. If graduates in theology can do medicine without 'brushing up' A level bio and chemistry just fine, you certainly don't need to.

The medical students are not being blasé about doing nothing and enjoying your time, we are being serious!

Some productive tips to prepare for first year would be:

1.) Get a bank account and square that all away. Make sure you know how to set up direct debits and arrange overdrafts.
    2.) Start a shopping list for stuff you will need living away from home.
    3.) LEARN FROM WHOEVER COOKS IN YOUR HOUSE how to make food that you enjoy. Go watch your mum in the kitchen, learn and spend some time with her.
    4.) Collect some fancy dress.
    5.) Enjoy the nice weather and being absolutely free of any responsibilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosettastoned)
    If I could go back I would have done more A level chemistry. I had a year between finishing it and starting med school and I get the feeling that biochem lectures might have been more than mindless drivel if I didn't have to keep reminding myself what reduction and oxidation were. You may not be quite so much of an idiot as me, though. You probably don't have to do everything - optimal isomers, organic chem, genetics, make sure you can down a pint in under twenty seconds and you'll be done.
    Medics meet?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys don't worry so far gap year has been spent working part time to save moneys for rounds at uni, going out, relaxing and then just voluntary work + sport etc. Felt like my mind was beginning to melt though and felt bad for not doing anything overly productive which lead to this thread. I might buy an anatomy book which I can read just for fun/slight prep for uni. Any suggestions on what books you have all found useful? I'm not about to rush off and buy them all but thought it would be good to have an idea of whats useful.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.