Turn on thread page Beta

If you were Chancellor? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So If you were the Chancellor what would your economic policy be?
    What departments would you cut?
    What about the miliatary and defence budgets? Would you cut them?
    Let the games begin......

ReputationRep:
    is this osbourne/brooooon trying to get public opinion on the sly????

ReputationRep:
    I'd let the NHS be subject to cuts like everything else to either ease the burden for every other department or to make income tax cuts/raise the personal allowance further to ease the strain on regular households. Other than that he seems to be doing a solid job considering the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    is this osbourne/brooooon trying to get public opinion on the sly????
    My surname actually is Browne - but with an E at the end .
    Unfortunatly im not pm or anything just a 16 year old politics student.

ReputationRep:
    I would've not cut the armed forces as much and passed some of the costs onto the NHS....

otherwise agree in general with whats happening (although perhaps thought the raid on north sea oilies was a bit rash)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Look into reforming the NHS. They seem to make a lot of simple mistakes. Individual hospitals all buying supplies ect.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from Defence and Home office, nothing would be spared.

ReputationRep:
    Shut down the corrupt Bank of England and reform the monetary system so that the pounds sterling is brought back to the Crown and invest in more gold reserves so that it can be backed by it, but of course there isn't enough gold so would also bring in free banks for co-existence. This would encourage people to invest into this country because the currency would be more stable.

Simplify business tax and massively reduce tax and regulation.
    Raise personal tax allowance to 15k.
    Replace VAT and council tax with a national and local sales, but should also be reduced.
    Government should keep all of its commitments to its benefits and pension claimants but also encourage new pension savers to save into a private pension scheme rather than the ponzi NIC one.

Make sure the people on lowest income are getting the necessary benefits they absolutely need as we start to make a transition to a low tax economy; a nation of savers rather than a nation of consumers.

Leave the EU and join the EFTA. Of course you would have to, if we're allowed to make any of the changes above.

I would reform the NHS completely so that it's like the Singapore healthcare system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Singapore
    Almost all quango's would go, especially the subsidies to museums and private corporations such as Channel 4.
    Abolish local education authorities and switch to a voucher system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Er-El)
    Shut down the corrupt Bank of England and reform the monetary system so that the pounds sterling is brought back to the Crown and invest in more gold reserves so that it can be backed by it, but of course there isn't enough gold so would also bring in free banks for co-existence. This would encourage people to invest into this country because the currency would be more stable.

Simplify business tax and massively reduce tax and regulation.
    Raise personal tax allowance to 15k.
    Replace VAT with a national and local sales, but should also be reduced.
    Government should keep all of its commitments to its benefits and pension claimants but also encourage new pension savers to save into a private pension scheme rather than the ponzi NIC one.

Make sure the people on lowest income are getting the necessary benefits they absolutely need as we start to make a transition to a low tax economy; a nation of savers rather than a nation of consumers.

Leave the EU and join the EFTA. Of course you would have to, if we're allowed to make any of the changes above.
    And the reduced amount of money the government takes in would be balanced out where?

ReputationRep:
    Slash VAT to about 10%. Combine NI with Income Tax as a base scale, increase the middle and top rates of tax and increase the tax-free threshold. Increase duties on alcohol, cigarettes and fuel. Follow the coalition plan on corporation tax.
    Not cut too heavily, try to streamline without causing much unemployment - growth > cutting in beating a deficit in the long run. Protect NHS spending but not in line with inflation.

ReputationRep:
    The Universities budget would be spared from any cuts.
    The Defence budget would be spared from any cuts; although would undergo a severe efficiency drive - the amount of waste in the Ministry of Defence is unacceptable.
    The budgets for research would be spared in most cases although each project would undergo a scrutiny review to see whether it is value for money.
    The Home Office budget would be spared from cuts although as above, would be subject to efficiency drives.
    I wouldn't have increased ANY taxation - I would have cut corporation tax. I would abolish the 50% tax rate also.
    I would seek to go further than the coalition in the reduction of public expenditure with a target of a 3% surplus at the end of the parliament.
    I put a pay freeze in place across the public sector whilst reducing ministerial pay by 15%.
    The NHS would receive some fairly large and substantive cuts.
    The International development budget would be halved with all funds going to foreign governments being ceased.
    Abolish the state pension
    Simplify most state benefits resulting in the abolition of many benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vandub)
    And the reduced amount of money the government takes in would be balanced out where?
    As the private sector grows over time and more jobs are created, naturally tax revenues would increase. Tax simplification and reduction would help stimulate private sector growth.

ReputationRep:
    leave the EU and put the money saved into NHS and the armed forces
    cut benefits and kick EU migrants out and give British jobs to the British

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownie94)
    So If you were the Chancellor what would your economic policy be?
    What departments would you cut?
    What about the miliatary and defence budgets? Would you cut them?
    Let the games begin......
    If I were Chancellor I would cut things that truly didn't matter.

All religious funding would be abolished.
    All festive decoration funding would be abolished.
    Any form of 'fun' event would have all funding abolished.

Lets fix the country by actually spending money on the three most important things: healthcare, education and policing. All non-essential events, decorations, marketing, PR would be halted. If people wanted to have fun they would have to pay for it themselves (not an unreasonable requirement).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Er-El)
    As the private sector grows over time and more jobs are created, naturally tax revenues would increase. Tax simplification and reduction would help stimulate private sector growth.
    And what of the structural defecit? The part of the defecit that doesn't disappear with growth?

ReputationRep:
    Priorities:
    - Defence spending to increase
    - Environmental protection and conservation; recycling
    - Nuclear, wind and tidal power to see government subsidies
    - Renationalise railways
    - Privatise NHS
    - Increase science funding and slash most arts funding bar that used to support museums and core activities like the national theatre, British library, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Priorities:
    - Defence spending to increase
    - Environmental protection and conservation; recycling
    - Nuclear, wind and tidal power to see government subsidies
    - Renationalise railways
    - Privatise NHS
    - Increase science funding and slash most arts funding bar that used to support museums and core activities like the national theatre, British library, etc.
    See now isn't this better than the Green party?

You are absolutely right on defence - our target should be getting defence spending to four percent of gross domestic product from the current two point five percent.

I absolutely agree that we should be protecting the environment and encouraging recycling. On subsidy I disagree. The nuclear industry doesn't want subsidies, they want planning permission. Wind power is awful in general and I would like to see more alternatives like waste incineration.

I have sympathy with the idea of nationalising transport and I fully agree that the abolition of the national health service is a necessary step. I would also like to see the abolition of the state pension as well and most benefits.

I think we should be supporting science and I think we should support the arts such as theatres and orchestras.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.