Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I would really appreciate any advice you guys could give me about this. I'm an international student who's going to go to university in the UK. Thanks for your time!

Okay, so I have offers to do Econ and Pol from Exeter and Pol, Phil and Econ from Manchester. I have a PPE offer from Durham as well but after visiting the campus I don't think I'll go there

I was wondering if you guys knew which university had a bigger name internationally? On the domestic league tables Exeter is ranked around 10 for Politics and Economics and Manchester is around 30 for Philosophy, Politics and Economics. However, on the international rankings, Manchester is generally ranked in the top 50 and exeter is in the top 150.

So I thought I'd go to Manchester, but then I looked at subject specific rankins and Manchester wasn't even in the top 200 for social sciences and economics, whereas exeter was once again in the top 150.

So i'm really confused. Which university has greater international prestige, and is Manchester's social science's department really that awful? I'd rather to go a big city than an isolated campus, but that isn't really that big of a consideration. I've read that Manc is on a drive to recruit 5 nobel prize winners by 2015, and the first one is Stiglitz, one of my favourite economists. In short, please help me decide

:confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You seem like someone what can be swayed by the campus very easily, maybe it would be wise to visit Manchester and Exeter. If that's not possible check the forums of both and gauge how people found the campuses from their own visits.

In terms of the courses, I wouldn't rank over the other since there's no definite way to compare them. Look at the modules they offer then determine which you're most interested in. On a side note Exeter is in no way isolated, it's 10 minutes walk into the main city.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.