Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've posted before about my situation. Basically, I lost my job in accounts last spring due to company restructuring (I stupidly resigned rather than waiting to be made redundant - although it was on very good terms and only because I wasn't due to get any money and couldn't apply for any of the managerial roles)! I have never had difficulty getting a job and was suprised when I found myself still out of work several months later! In hindsight I realise I was very naive, but it was my first 'proper' job and I basically didn't know any better. I won't make the same mistake again!

Since I couldn't find another accounts job to continue my AAT (I needed practical work signed off and my previous company had been funding it), I decided to switch over to my other skill (writing) and take an English Literature degree through the Open University. I find English very easy as I write in my spare time and figured I wouldn't have any trouble studying it by myself. Plus, it was almost entirely funded by the OU so I would not be out of pocket. I hoped that just having any degree on my CV would make me more employable. I never intended to go into journalism or anything related afterwards. I think I just panicked and it seemed like the only viable option at the time. I've continued tutoring in maths and science (KS3 and GCSE) during the last 2 years.

It is now April and I still haven't found work (aside from tutoring and a 1 week placement as a receptionist to cover staff leave). I hadn't any fixed ideas about careers up until this point, but really enjoyed the placement in HR (even though it was very short). I liked the atmosphere and variety and although I'm not at all interested in receptionist work, I wouldn't mind a more maths-based job in HR.

I am half way through the first 2 modules of the English degree (out of 8) and it is pretty easy. But I am concerned that due to it being so straightforward, it will not be worth much to a future employer. I need to choose my next 2 modules by August and I am now considering doing something more maths-based that will be worth more on my CV. As I have 3+ years in accounts, I am wondering if this will compliment my work experience more than English. My brother has also questioned why on earth I am studying English when I want to work with numbers and the only reason I could give was that I didn't have the confidence to study maths at the time (I was pretty gutted when I lost my job) and figured English was the 'easy' option that I couldn't possibly screw up!

My biggest problem has always been that I had no idea what to do as a career and I have skills in every area. My parents really put me off maths and science (my mum has a weird phobia of numbers and I was always led to believe that maths was beyond most people), but all the jobs I've had involving anything mathematical have been my favourite. I want something well paid and I don't mind moving to the city in the future, but I need to pick something quickly and stick with it. Up until now I have just jumped into whatever job was going and my CV has no direction. I am good with numbers, good with communications, have good people skills, am good with computers and I'm very creative! So I'm stuck trying to narrow it down. I have worked in various admin roles and in accounts, so I am just going by previous experience now or I will end up too old to be considered for anything. I need to be decisive!

So... as I can put the English modules towards credit for any degree (it requires points from optional modules anyway), would it be better to focus on something maths-related rather than English (which I can do as a hobby anyway)? I have to study this for 3-4 years, so I want it to be worth the effort! I want good money and a good career in something where I can use my brain. At every interview I am asked why I am studying English when I am applying for finance roles and have worked in accounts previously and I can see their point. I want to tailor my CV towards a specific career now that I have my confidence back.

What degrees would anyone suggest? My A Level subjects are irrelevant as I ended up changing several times and the end result is not a reflection of what I have studied. Also, the OU doesn't ask for specific subjects in order to take degrees.

Any advice/ideas?

Edit: I should also add that I studied a Business degree at a crap university for 1.5 years and managed to pass the Economics and Maths modules even though I quit the others (I like charts, graphs, data and equations).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SidDelicious)
    I've posted before about my situation. Basically, I lost my job in accounts last spring due to company restructuring (I stupidly resigned rather than waiting to be made redundant - although it was on very good terms and only because I wasn't due to get any money and couldn't apply for any of the managerial roles)! I have never had difficulty getting a job and was suprised when I found myself still out of work several months later! In hindsight I realise I was very naive, but it was my first 'proper' job and I basically didn't know any better. I won't make the same mistake again!

Since I couldn't find another accounts job to continue my AAT (I needed practical work signed off and my previous company had been funding it), I decided to switch over to my other skill (writing) and take an English Literature degree through the Open University. I find English very easy as I write in my spare time and figured I wouldn't have any trouble studying it by myself. Plus, it was almost entirely funded by the OU so I would not be out of pocket. I hoped that just having any degree on my CV would make me more employable. I never intended to go into journalism or anything related afterwards. I think I just panicked and it seemed like the only viable option at the time. I've continued tutoring in maths and science (KS3 and GCSE) during the last 2 years.

It is now April and I still haven't found work (aside from tutoring and a 1 week placement as a receptionist to cover staff leave). I hadn't any fixed ideas about careers up until this point, but really enjoyed the placement in HR (even though it was very short). I liked the atmosphere and variety and although I'm not at all interested in receptionist work, I wouldn't mind a more maths-based job in HR.

I am half way through the first 2 modules of the English degree (out of 8) and it is pretty easy. But I am concerned that due to it being so straightforward, it will not be worth much to a future employer. I need to choose my next 2 modules by August and I am now considering doing something more maths-based that will be worth more on my CV. As I have 3+ years in accounts, I am wondering if this will compliment my work experience more than English. My brother has also questioned why on earth I am studying English when I want to work with numbers and the only reason I could give was that I didn't have the confidence to study maths at the time (I was pretty gutted when I lost my job) and figured English was the 'easy' option that I couldn't possibly screw up!

My biggest problem has always been that I had no idea what to do as a career and I have skills in every area. My parents really put me off maths and science (my mum has a weird phobia of numbers and I was always led to believe that maths was beyond most people), but all the jobs I've had involving anything mathematical have been my favourite. I want something well paid and I don't mind moving to the city in the future, but I need to pick something quickly and stick with it. Up until now I have just jumped into whatever job was going and my CV has no direction. I am good with numbers, good with communications, have good people skills, am good with computers and I'm very creative! So I'm stuck trying to narrow it down. I have worked in various admin roles and in accounts, so I am just going by previous experience now or I will end up too old to be considered for anything. I need to be decisive!

So... as I can put the English modules towards credit for any degree (it requires points from optional modules anyway), would it be better to focus on something maths-related rather than English (which I can do as a hobby anyway)? I have to study this for 3-4 years, so I want it to be worth the effort! I want good money and a good career in something where I can use my brain. At every interview I am asked why I am studying English when I am applying for finance roles and have worked in accounts previously and I can see their point. I want to tailor my CV towards a specific career now that I have my confidence back.

What degrees would anyone suggest? My A Level subjects are irrelevant as I ended up changing several times and the end result is not a reflection of what I have studied. Also, the OU doesn't ask for specific subjects in order to take degrees.

Any advice/ideas?

Edit: I should also add that I studied a Business degree at a crap university for 1.5 years and managed to pass the Economics and Maths modules even though I quit the others (I like charts, graphs, data and equations).

Right, That is one hell of a long post. I read it all but sorry if i missed important points. From what I understand:
    You are doing an English degree having previously dropped out of a business degree?
    You have relevant work experience and want to work in accountancy?
    But you are wondering whether to continue with an English degree or to start a maths degree for a career in finance?

Okay, the type of degree doesn't matter if it is acountancy you want to go in to. I do an arts degree and have a big four accountancy offer. As long as you can explain your reason for choosing it (not because you thought it was easy! Try interesting, etc) then you will have no problems there.

I would also say that if accountancy is the profession you want to go in to, that A levels are relevant as you need a certain amount of ucas points.

Also, I really wouldn't change your degree again as you may get away with dropping out of one degree, but two is a different story. It wouldn't bring you across in a great light with employers if you keep changing degrees. Also, it means that you end up being a student forever.

Anyway, I have tried to help based on your above post. Sorry if i have miwsunderstood any points. Hopefully this helps in some small way though. Feel free to post any more questions (but try and be a little bit clearer :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too fussed about accountancy as I prefer the analytical side of things (loved the Economics and Maths modules at uni). I was studying AAT as my previous company wanted me to, not because I particularly enjoyed it. I was happy enough just working with numbers. When I took Accounting at uni, I passed it but found the subject a bit dry compared to Economics and Maths. It may have been the lack of teaching (most of the lecturers were on strike or skipped many classes), but that didn't seem to affect my Economics and Maths scores so much. For the record, my favourite subject has always been Physics, but I think I would struggle to get through a Physics degree working from home (especially the lack of lab work).

I'm haven't decided on a specific degree yet - I have until August to choose. I do want to do something maths based that I can put towards finance/analyst roles in the long run. The OU doesn't offer a degree in pure Finance, so my options are (in order of preference):

BSc Economics and Mathematical Sciences
    BSc Mathematics
    BA Business Studies With Economics
    BA Business Studies With Accounting

Also, I won't be dropping out of this degree as the English points will count towards the optional module that makes up part of the qualification. I need 360 points for an honours degree in one of the above and 60 points of that can be from any subjects as long as I take the other core modules in maths, economics, accounting, etc. My funding will also continue as all the modules will be put towards the same degree classification at the end.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.