Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would like to pursue dentistry (graduate entry).

I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in psychology, and I am currently studying towards a PhD in the social sciences. I get paid to 'study' for the PhD; in reality it's a research assistant post. I have also never been out of work, I worked part time throughout my undergraduate degree and my master's degree.

Assuming I got in to study dentistry at age 26, I would graduate at 30 years old.
    Would potential employers look unfavourably on the fact that I've spent 12 years studying?

Once you qualify as a dentist, would it matter?

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    no. mature students have more life experience than undergraduates fresh from college.. and are generally more focused and able to communicate effectively with their patients in clinics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomflag)
    I would like to pursue dentistry (graduate entry).

I have a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in psychology, and I am currently studying towards a PhD in the social sciences. I get paid to 'study' for the PhD; in reality it's a research assistant post. I have also never been out of work, I worked part time throughout my undergraduate degree and my master's degree.

Assuming I got in to study dentistry at age 26, I would graduate at 30 years old.
    Would potential employers look unfavourably on the fact that I've spent 12 years studying?

Once you qualify as a dentist, would it matter?
    Chill it's fine...I'm doing dentistry at Leeds and there are a handful people who are studying dentistry aged older than usual i.e. 22-35! As long as you can justify why you decided to dedicate so much time to learning..it's fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azn-wonder91)
    Chill it's fine...I'm doing dentistry at Leeds and there are a handful people who are studying dentistry aged older than usual i.e. 22-35! As long as you can justify why you decided to dedicate so much time to learning..it's fine
    Thank you for your reply. How are you finding the workload? I'm also looking for some general advice regarding the course.

Have a good day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eskrima)
    no. mature students have more life experience than undergraduates fresh from college.. and are generally more focused and able to communicate effectively with their patients in clinics.
    QFT.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.