Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I'm new to this forum.

I'm hoping to start an Access To Science course in September. What career paths can one follow by doing this particular course?

I took a one year break from studying. I did this BTEC National ICT course, the year before that, in which I failed, unfortunately.
    My GCSEs currently stand at:

Maths E
    English D

This was all the back from 2005.

The colleges offer a Key Skills Level 2 Maths and English, which I've heard is equivalent to GCSEs.

Do I have to retake GCSEs? Would be a bit of struggle to do along with the intensive Access course. But I'd be up for it.

And realistically, what unis can I get into if I get a DDD on the Access course?

Looking forward to your replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHD90)
    Hi there. I'm new to this forum.

I'm hoping to start an Access To Science course in September. What career paths can one follow by doing this particular course?

I took a one year break from studying. I did this BTEC National ICT course, the year before that, in which I failed, unfortunately.
    My GCSEs currently stand at:

Maths E
    English D

This was all the back from 2005.

The colleges offer a Key Skills Level 2 Maths and English, which I've heard is equivalent to GCSEs.

Do I have to retake GCSEs? Would be a bit of struggle to do along with the intensive Access course. But I'd be up for it.

And realistically, what unis can I get into if I get a DDD on the Access course?

Looking forward to your replies.

Hi MHD90
    first welcome to TSR hope u will become a regular contribuer to all the threads on here second the Access to HE Science courses offers a great number of possibilities
    You could go into after successfully gaining the Access to He diploma in Science and after gaining the required grading such as Distinction or Merit Overall the following degrees

Physiotheraphy,Radiography,Speec h Therapy, Nursing, Podiatry, Dietetics, Nutrition, Pharmacy and Environmental Science.Also Archaeology, Police and Criminal Investigation, Food and Nutrition, Science and Football, Wildlife Conservation, Genetics, Bioveterinary Science, Nuclear Engineering, Materials Science.
    However i would also recommend that you re-take your English and Maths GCSE MHD90 because most of the above degrees will also be looking at a GCSE grade C or above in addition to A graded Access diploma course.

From my personal experience GCSE equivalent courses in Maths and English sometimes are not sufficient as meeting the degree entry requirements the only exception to this rule is possiable Adult nursing or Mental health nursing and it all depends which universities will accept the GCSE quivalents

My advice MHD90 is to do your own individual research and contact the relevant universities and and the admissions tutors for the degrees themselves and ask them what they would consider
    hope my advice has been useful

ReputationRep:
    To add to Wizardtop's sterling advice: check out your Science access course carefully before you start and be aware of the # of points you will actually get from science subjects.
    All courses are not equal!
    The course I study does not give enough science-related credits for many uni courses and this year, as a result, our offer success rate is really low compared to the humanities courses at the same college.
    Hope this helps.
    Feel free to pm me for more details and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The access to science pretty much allows you to apply for majority of science based and healthcare focused degree's, the allied health professions provided by the NHS at loads of different universities is open to you, Wizardtop pretty much said all of them and you could if you get the correct amount of credits required by each individual institution your in with a brilliant chance at getting
    In.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want to do really.

Do you fancy a physics, chemistry of biology type degree?

Also do you mind what uni you go to? (do you mind moving away?)

You need to work out roughly what you want to do before we could advise you fully.

I would say get those C grades at GCSE in english and maths though

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.