Turn on thread page Beta

Pale vs Tanned. Fake tanners, please! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    If you want a sun-kissed look that won't streak and isn't too expensive, I thoroughly recommend Garnier Summerbody. I think it's £5 a bottle but if you use it all over you can run out in a few weeks. It's a self tanning moisturiser. I'm super pale and it gave me the bit of colour I desperately needed.
    I use this too (better than Johnson's Holiday Skin which makes me a bit yellow), still make sure you moisturise any dry bits (knees etc.) with body butter or a bit of baby oil otherwise even the 'light sunkissed look' will go patchy. Also, I wouldn't use the medium/dark one until you've got a bit of a real tan from the sun!

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't been a day in the last 5+ years I haven't worn fake tan.some people look beautiful pale but I'm whiter than White and it looks really unnatural like I'm ill. if you want a subtle glow for summer try st tropez gradual moisturiser or garnier summer body

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpunkyVanDros)
    pale in my humble opinion is more sophisticated and classy as a lot of the girls in the UK are glowing orange ... but girls with naturally darker skin should also work it and not try to be paler.
    +1 also

From a guys perspective (although I wouldn't classify myself as wholly normal). Natural all the way. I can't stand fake tan.

Oh and, sophisticated and classy is DEFINITELY the way forward in all aspects!

ReputationRep:
    I fake tan sometimes, usually when my face is looking so unnaturally pale and the circles under my eyes are basically black so that I really do look like the walking dead. I never lather it on, only a tiny bit and you can still look natural and healthy at the same time. Some girls do look great pale, and thats fab for them but if you have the tendency to look really ill with your natural skin, it can be nice to feel a bit rejuvenated with a slight bit of colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanaalou)
    Hasn't been a day in the last 5+ years I haven't worn fake tan.some people look beautiful pale but I'm whiter than White and it looks really unnatural like I'm ill. if you want a subtle glow for summer try st tropez gradual moisturiser or garnier summer body
    We're a cold country off of the Atlantic and North seam with inclement weather. It's our natural skin tone. it's not unhealthy, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    We're a cold country off of the Atlantic and North seam with inclement weather. It's our natural skin tone. it's not unhealthy, really.
    I didn't say everyone looks unhealthy,but I do

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say everyone looks unhealthy,but I do
    Perhaps it's the way you perceive yourself. Ghostly pale isn't bad at all. You'er just different, not ill! Hence my point: we're supposed to be pale; some are paler than others. Think of how much you could save!

ReputationRep:
    pale and interesting ftw.

ReputationRep:
    I like girls of any colour, just so long as it was naturally acquired (pale as the ginger one from GA :coma: or nicole scherzinger :dice: or rochelle from saturdays :sogood: and if I remember correctly I had my first fap over Mel B :teehee:)

Anything looks good so long as its not fake (rubbed on), its a real turn off, the thought that I might touch a girl and her colour would start to come off

ReputationRep:
    I second what others say about moisturiser with gradual tan, if you're naturally pale and don't like it - use the lighter shades - being darker will look tacky. I've avoided the sun for health reasons the last few years, being pale doesn't look natural on me! Probabaly because i go some strange shade of light yellow like a cross between a ghost and jaundice because I have olive skin naturally :P So I use the darker version of garnier moisturiser with gradual tan... boyfriend hasn't realised it's fake yet...or my parents 0_0
    However, I think on english skin, pale is beautiful!

ReputationRep:
    Its really weird, why dont white girls just stay white and pale, dont tan forgoodness sake im speaking from a brazilian/mexican/pakistani natural tan girls point of view, when white girls tan they DONT look brown they look somewhat like orange blobs walking around and it looks really patchy im surprised no one ever tells them that it looks like a skin disease. I think white girls should stay white because you look much prettier been pale and then you look more like a "english rose". :teehee:
    every one has beautiful skin, i feel sorry for white girls, so much pressure for getting fake tans lol might as well save that money and spend it on clothes and makeup rather than fake tan
    btw no offence to anyone who does use fake tan.

ReputationRep:
    I just wouldn't go out without having my fake tan on! It shouldn't go patchy if you exfoliate and use a tan mit.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it's the way you perceive yourself. Ghostly pale isn't bad at all. You'er just different, not ill! Hence my point: we're supposed to be pale; some are paler than others. Think of how much you could save!
    cost isnt a problem

ReputationRep:
    cost isnt a problem

Forgive me, I just don't understand why we're so obsessed with tans tbh. Funny when a lot of guys prefer those who do not tan!

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite pale and don't like the idea of fake tan. It costs money and just isn't worth the time or effort.

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me, I just don't understand why we're so obsessed with tans tbh. Funny when a lot of guys prefer those who do not tan!
    you've clearly never seen anyone as pale as me then. I actually get comments about how unnatural I look when I'm not fake tanned etc haha it's not like I walk round orange or anything

ReputationRep:
    Psch, I like pale skin, I think it makes girls look prettier (but less sexy)

ReputationRep:
    I'm paler than pale, and I'm not even supposed to be caucasian.
    My family always make fun of me at the beach.
    I have never fake tanned in my life.
    I do eventually get a tan, just takes a good couple of months.

ReputationRep:
    I once tried out some fake tan belonging to my cousin which was St Tropez in a cream version, have to say the result looked natural and wasn't blotchy. Apart from that I'm pale, and I work with it! I actually like my skin colour, and it is infinitely better than the tangoed look which seems so popular these days. I avoid the sun as much as possible for health reasons, but I don't wear sun protection on a daily basis (aiming to change this soon!) and definitely don't sunbathe! I'm fortunate that I have very clear skin, so I don't wear foundations or powder. In summer my cheeks naturally blush pink, and if it's cold I just dab a bit of blusher on my cheeks so I don't look pale all over my face.

ReputationRep:
    Remember you live/come from scotland , because of our uv exposure our skin is naturally pale.
    If your going to fake tan please don't be orange or as in our house tangooed

My mum and dad are both white as sheets , I have pale olive skin so I have got off lightly in the tanning section but got called a simpson.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.