Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I guess im one of those annoyingly lucky people that tans in half an hour in the sun, doesnt need to use anything more than SPF8 unless i'm within feet of the equator, and goes a really nice colour with the fake stuff?

I'm sat here right now with a Crazy Angel extra dark spray tan on. Will report back in the morning when i've washed today's guide colour off....but it's gonna be pretty dark even for me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously pale, but I only use the gradual tanning moisturisers, I tend to put it on for a couple of days then give it a break - basically, I don't make myself any darker than I would be if I had a natural tan (which isn't very dark at at all!). Also for me, I like to have a bit of colour as it evens out my pretty variable skintone, and makes the redness of my eczema of my arms/face/neck less obvious; it just makes me a little less conscious of it given how prominent it is. I personally use Palmers coco butter one: http://www.boots.com/en/Palmers-Coco...250ml_1189257/. It goes a really lovely colour, has yet to give me any sort of streaks and has the same lovely smells as the other Palmers products!

ReputationRep:
    Had to use some fake tan stuff today.. I went to the beach yesterday and half of me went brown. (I mean like, literally one side of me)
    Had to even it up a little

ReputationRep:
    You should go to Los Angeles. Or a tanning salon. Although be careful when you tan, because the more you tan, the more you're at risk for melanoma. Better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm pale with dark hair and dark eyes and cannot believe how many people come up to me and comment on my skin tone as if its an unusual thing. I am no paler than the average caucasian person should be yet its seen as such an unusual thing to be this colour! I reckon more than half of girls in England use fake tan and I think its ridiculous! People look so much more fresh faced and youthful with natural skin and I don't see why white skin is such a sin to the eyes these days- a hundred years ago it was a sign of beauty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaBee)
    I'm pale with dark hair and dark eyes and cannot believe how many people come up to me and comment on my skin tone as if its an unusual thing. I am no paler than the average caucasian person should be yet its seen as such an unusual thing to be this colour! I reckon more than half of girls in England use fake tan and I think its ridiculous! People look so much more fresh faced and youthful with natural skin and I don't see why white skin is such a sin to the eyes these days- a hundred years ago it was a sign of beauty.
    I actually think i look younger and more natural with a tan. Jus' sayin'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)
    I actually think i look younger and more natural with a tan. Jus' sayin'...
    How can you look more natural with a fake tan than your natural skin tone?
    And if its sunbeds you use rather than fake tan then you won't be saying that in 10 years when the sun damage shows up

... just saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaBee)
    How can you look more natural with a fake tan than your natural skin tone?
    And if its sunbeds you use rather than fake tan then you won't be saying that in 10 years when the sun damage shows up

... just saying.
    Ever heard of sitting in the sun? Healthy glow?

99% of people look better/healthier/more alive with a slight tan, fact. If girls choose to go overboard and paint themselves with cuprinol-esque cheap and nasty fake tan that's up to them, but i'm one of the lucky people who gets that healthy glow after just 15 minutes in the sun, tan lines after half an hour and NEVER burns. Olive skin has advantages.

And yes, I do occasionally (ie last time I used one was january) use sunbeds. I don't advocate regular use but as long as you look after your skin, occasional use like mine does no more harm than a foreign holiday.

I would like to hedge a bet that I will look better/healthier at 30 with a tan, than you do at 20 and pale. Just saying...

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't born with dark skin and was light skinned up until I started going in the sun.

If I stay away from the sun, within weeks I'll go slightly light brown but the second I go in the sun I start to brown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)
    Ever heard of sitting in the sun? Healthy glow?

99% of people look better/healthier/more alive with a slight tan, fact. If girls choose to go overboard and paint themselves with cuprinol-esque cheap and nasty fake tan that's up to them, but i'm one of the lucky people who gets that healthy glow after just 15 minutes in the sun, tan lines after half an hour and NEVER burns. Olive skin has advantages.

And yes, I do occasionally (ie last time I used one was january) use sunbeds. I don't advocate regular use but as long as you look after your skin, occasional use like mine does no more harm than a foreign holiday.

I would like to hedge a bet that I will look better/healthier at 30 with a tan, than you do at 20 and pale. Just saying...
    Which is better for modeling? White or Olive skin? Maybe it's me, but I think it's a wee folly for most people in a sun-starved nation to appear as if they have spent a month in Tuscany!

I'm a fake tanner shame I cannot use it this year due to my medication side effects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    Which is better for modeling? White or Olive skin? Maybe it's me, but I think it's a wee folly for most people in a sun-starved nation to appear as if they have spent a month in Tuscany!
    Depends what sort of modelling - most super-duper editorial high fashion models go for the pale end of the spectrum but that doesn't mean tanned models don't exist.

You can't go from white to olive btw, olive skin is generally a shade or two darker with totally different undertones to "white" skin.

I personally tan insanely easily, to the point where my 2008 summer holiday (10 days in Andratx, Majorca) tan lasted until summer 2009. Without the use of sunbeds or fake tan.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.