Premiership winter break Watch

This discussion is closed.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Premier league chairmen have voted in favour of introducing a winter break for a test trial of 2 seasons. What do you think?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/3439739.stm
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
About bloody time!

Though it'd probably just get filled with international friendlies.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
About bloody time!

Though it'd probably just get filled with international friendlies.
cheers pal.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Meh, I think its risky considering the nature of British weather.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Well clubs may actually give their players a holiday. During the winter of 1998 Alex Ferguson gave Peter Schmeichel a few weeks off, he returned to help us on to the Treble. This season he's given Cristiano Ronaldo a three-week holiday. Every club should have that luxury, not just the biggest squad in my opinion.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yep, sun, filthy sand, blackpool beaches and all.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
True, but that's why it's gonna be a 2 season trial first. If they find there being a huge backlog of premiership ties to play, then they might reconsider this option.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well clubs may actually give their players a holiday. During the winter of 1998 Alex Ferguson gave Peter Schmeichel a few weeks off, he returned to help us on to the Treble. This season he's given Cristiano Ronaldo a three-week holiday. Every club should have that luxury, not just the biggest squad in my opinion.
but if the lesser clubs did that tehn they would have less cahnce of competing with the top teams while they have some players rested.

the top teams do that because they can afford to - financially (smaller teams wouldn't often be prepared to pay thousands 4 players chillin for 3 weeks) aswell as in squad strength - many good players, sufficient to beat lesser teams anyway.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
True, but that's why it's gonna be a 2 season trial first. If they find there being a huge backlog of premiership ties to play, then they might reconsider this option.
If I had my way the Premiership would be 12 clubs with four Football League divisions of 20 each. That way fixtures would be far better spread out, the international (and particularly England) players would be less worn out, and the top teams would be better able to contest the League Cup and FA Cup alongside European competitions.

Obviously impossible to implement in practice.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bono)
but if the lesser clubs did that tehn they would have less cahnce of competing with the top teams while they have some players rested.

the top teams do that because they can afford to - financially (smaller teams wouldn't often be prepared to pay thousands 4 players chillin for 3 weeks) aswell as in squad strength - many good players, sufficient to beat lesser teams anyway.
I mean there should be a winter break so that all clubs can rest their players in this way, and since no one is playing no one is hurt.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I mean there should be a winter break so that all clubs can rest their players in this way, and since no one is playing no one is hurt.
fair enough.

sorry, i know what u mean now, i am real tired and am talking complete drivel........

sorry, i'll shut up now.

must go to bed.

thanks 4 rep, and goodnight to everyone.

God Bless.
Nima
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Infact, i shall end on this splendid note :

"Streets Of London Lyrics

Have you seen the old man, in the closed-down market
kicking up the papers, with his worn-out shoes?
In his eyes you’d see no pride, hand held loosely by his side
yesterday's papers, telling yesterday's news

So how can you tell me, you're lonely
and say for you the sun won’t shine?
Let me take you by the hand,
and lead you through the streets of London
I'll show you something, to make you change your mind

Have you seen the old girl, who walks the streets of London
dirt in her hair, and her clothes in rags?
She's no time for talking, she just keeps right on walking
Carrying her home, in two carrier bags

In the all-night cafe, at a quarter past eleven
same old man sitting there, on his own
Looking at the world, over the rim of his tea-cup
Each tea lasts an hour, then he wanders home alone

Have you seen the old man outside the Seamens mission
memorie fathing, with the medalreabbons that he weares
In our winter city, the rain cryes little pitty,
For one more forgoten hero, and a world that doesn´t care

and say for you that the sun doesn't shine?
I'll show you something, to make you change your mind"

fab, brings back memories.

goodnight all, sleep well.
DanMushMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If I had my way the Premiership would be 12 clubs with four Football League divisions of 20 each. That way fixtures would be far better spread out, the international (and particularly England) players would be less worn out, and the top teams would be better able to contest the League Cup and FA Cup alongside European competitions.

Obviously impossible to implement in practice.
prem football down to 12? That would ruin English football. The League are clubs' bread and butter, and every league game is important. Eg Arsenal will field a better team against Wolves in 2 weeks than against Middlesborough, and thats a semi final. Plus there wouldn't be football every week, which would be rubbish, because some of us like to watch it...
jediknight007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, as long as it ain't too long because I miss Champion's League football at the moment. It's my favourite tournament, even more than the Premiership and if we was to have like a month without football, I wouldn't know what to do. Maybe I could focus on supporting a foreign team in Europe while I wait.....
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Well, as long as it ain't too long because I miss Champion's League football at the moment. It's my favourite tournament, even more than the Premiership and if we was to have like a month without football, I wouldn't know what to do. Maybe I could focus on supporting a foreign team in Europe while I wait.....
so i take it you're in favour of a european super league. Whilst i think it may be a good idea, clearly the major problem would be the cost to see your team away, whereas in the CL you have a max of 7 foreign games.
jediknight007
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
so i take it you're in favour of a european super league. Whilst i think it may be a good idea, clearly the major problem would be the cost to see your team away, whereas in the CL you have a max of 7 foreign games.

Well, I have never really thought about the European Super League. I just seem to like Champion's League football that's all. My dream would be to score for Man Utd against Real Madrid in the Final in the San Siro, with 80,000+ fans cheering me on. But yea, I would agree about the travelling expenses and therefore, there wouldn't be as many matches and it would soon get boring! So therefore, I would be slightly against a Super League. I would like the Champion's League to be even more often and instead of grouping 4-6 matches within a week of each other and then having a 3 month break, I would prefer matches to be constantly within 2 weeks of each other. So as you can see, I just love Champion's League football. Btw, I think the new Champion's League theme is crap.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, I have never really thought about the European Super League. I just seem to like Champion's League football that's all. My dream would be to score for Man Utd against Real Madrid in the Final in the San Siro, with 80,000+ fans cheering me on. But yea, I would agree about the travelling expenses and therefore, there wouldn't be as many matches and it would soon get boring! So therefore, I would be slightly against a Super League. I would like the Champion's League to be even more often and instead of grouping 4-6 matches within a week of each other and then having a 3 month break, I would prefer matches to be constantly within 2 weeks of each other. So as you can see, I just love Champion's League football. Btw, I think the new Champion's League theme is crap.
new theme? isn't it the same song? It was when we played Kiev at home.
I think getting rid of the 2nd group stage was a mistake, but it means less games, which turned out good for us this season.
malledo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
does that include nationwide clubs?
I disagree with it, the hectic christmas and new year period is what makes english football great. I cant see how sven thinks having 13 days off will really bfit the national team in the long run to be honest.
malledo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

why the san siro. I have been there when ipswich played inter, admittedly it was an awesome stadium but why not at the nou camp or somewhere bigger
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by malledo)
does that include nationwide clubs?
I disagree with it, the hectic christmas and new year period is what makes english football great. I cant see how sven thinks having 13 days off will really bfit the national team in the long run to be honest.
yeh, actually no football over winter, and if that means over christmas, will be bad.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.81%
Pro-humanity (168)
54.19%

Watched Threads