This discussion is closed.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Maybe they should deal with the real issue, and reduce the number of fixtures teams have to play. Maybe by reducing the size of the premiership, or getting the season to start more around the same time as the nationwide or something.
DanMushMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Maybe they should deal with the real issue, and reduce the number of fixtures teams have to play. Maybe by reducing the size of the premiership, or getting the season to start more around the same time as the nationwide or something.
i think the size of the premiership is good as it is. Maybe get rid of the carling cup. Its only the teams in the cl and possibly a run in the uefa who have a lot of games, some of the prem clubs just have 40 or so.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It is a very good idea. I can see the lesser clubs being hit financially to a degree. Christmas games are usually sell outs are they not?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
i think the size of the premiership is good as it is. Maybe get rid of the carling cup. Its only the teams in the cl and possibly a run in the uefa who have a lot of games, some of the prem clubs just have 40 or so.
Well in my opinion its a couple of clubs too big.
The carling cup is pretty much optional, as the big clubs invariably use a reserve side, so that would not make much difference.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
The carling cup matches is a brill way to see the up and coming talent of the top sides though.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by malledo)
why the san siro. I have been there when ipswich played inter, admittedly it was an awesome stadium but why not at the nou camp or somewhere bigger
I like Italian football better since I'm learning to speak Italian and I'm into it's culture more than Spanish. The Nou Camp is better by like 20,000 seats but the San Siro can generate as much atmosphere.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
prem football down to 12? That would ruin English football. The League are clubs' bread and butter, and every league game is important. Eg Arsenal will field a better team against Wolves in 2 weeks than against Middlesborough, and thats a semi final. Plus there wouldn't be football every week, which would be rubbish, because some of us like to watch it...
I was just worried that Premiership football wasn't competitive enough. These days it takes a situation like at Chelsea to challenge the big two, there are too many mediocre clubs in the League, and the relegation fight seems to be between six teams at most. This season has been a bit of an anomaly with the tightness of positions but in history it hasn't been so close. Fewer clubs in the league means less mediocrity, more competition and possibly more TV money to the lower leagues. I did mention it was a pipe dream though.
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by malledo)
does that include nationwide clubs?
I disagree with it, the hectic christmas and new year period is what makes english football great. I cant see how sven thinks having 13 days off will really bfit the national team in the long run to be honest.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/3441129.stm

This shows some of the pros and cons of the winter brek. I think it'sonly for the premiership.
Xenon
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
I was just worried that Premiership football wasn't competitive enough. These days it takes a situation like at Chelsea to challenge the big two, there are too many mediocre clubs in the League, and the relegation fight seems to be between six teams at most. This season has been a bit of an anomaly with the tightness of positions but in history it hasn't been so close. Fewer clubs in the league means less mediocrity, more competition and possibly more TV money to the lower leagues. I did mention it was a pipe dream though.
There will still be the main top 2, which 3 or so others following a bit behind, and the rest fighting for scraps after.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeh, overall the premiership is quite polar, but on their day any premership team can beat the best, eg Wolves. Thats what makes it more exciting. Plus if you cut the premiership down then the top clubs will become even further away in terms of finances from the other clubs.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeh, overall the premiership is quite polar, but on their day any premership team can beat the best, eg Wolves. Thats what makes it more exciting. Plus if you cut the premiership down then the top clubs will become even further away in terms of finances from the other clubs.
Well I'd like to see the more boring teams (e.g. Villa, Southampton, Spurs) have to be a bit less mediocre. They just seem to plod through every season and shock everyone if they get in the top 6, I mean the point of a competition is to win it so why should only the top two aspire to win it?
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well I'd like to see the more boring teams (e.g. Villa, Southampton, Spurs) have to be a bit less mediocre. They just seem to plod through every season and shock everyone if they get in the top 6, I mean the point of a competition is to win it so why should only the top two aspire to win it?
well for most clubs, esp this season - which the league is so compressed - their first aim is to avoid relegation, since the money loss is massive. Then the next aim is Europe, then CL then the title. But look at a team like Charlton, they're in a good position, because they've established themselves in the prem and built over the years (with not much money), Everton did well last year etc. however I agree with the mediocre teams who do nothing each year, esp Spurs, but its still good to see teams like Southampton and Villa play your team because you know not prem game is going to be an easy one, esp away.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well for most clubs, esp this season - which the league is so compressed - their first aim is to avoid relegation, since the money loss is massive. Then the next aim is Europe, then CL then the title. But look at a team like Charlton, they're in a good position, because they've established themselves in the prem and built over the years (with not much money), Everton did well last year etc. however I agree with the mediocre teams who do nothing each year, esp Spurs, but its still good to see teams like Southampton and Villa play your team because you know not prem game is going to be an easy one, esp away.
Still, we need at least two clubs out of the league. But that will eliminate four matches per team per season, does that make any difference with preseason and total competitive matches exceeding 50 for some teams? But no one will argue with the status quo these days unless it screws Man Utd to do so...
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Still, we need at least two clubs out of the league. But that will eliminate four matches per team per season, does that make any difference with preseason and total competitive matches exceeding 50 for some teams? But no one will argue with the status quo these days unless it screws Man Utd to do so...
why? cos if we'd lost 2 teams u wouldn't have lost at molineux?
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
why? cos if we'd lost 2 teams u wouldn't have lost at molineux?
:rolleyes:

The chairmen of the top few (nearer to a dozen than a trio) clubs are crying out for an 18-team League and have done for ages.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Glory supporters /o\
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
:rolleyes:

The chairmen of the top few (nearer to a dozen than a trio) clubs are crying out for an 18-team League and have done for ages.
The other 80 or so league clubs don't like the sound of it though.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
20s good at the mo.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
20s good at the mo.
Suppose, not very broke so no need of a fix. The winter break ought to work as it does so well for the Italians and Spaniards.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i haven't read the proposal, is the break over xmas, because traditionally they have the best attendances and is a really good time for football
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads