Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In naming this organic compound, should we say it propanone or 2-propanone?

CH3COCH3

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Propanone. It is the shortest possible ketone. Think about a ketone beginning with eth-, surely it is an aldehyde! You can only have the O on the second C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK471993)
    Propanone. It is the shortest possible ketone. Think about a ketone beginning with eth-, surely it is an aldehyde! You can only have the O on the second C.
    Thanks for your reply. Can you explain that further? For example CH3COCH2CH2CH3 is considered 2-pentanone. Why didn't we include 2 in propanone?

ReputationRep:
    Because the carbonyl can only be on the 2nd carbon. If it's on the 1st carbon then it wouldn't fit the general formula of R-CO-R.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsOurDecision)
    Because the carbonyl can only be on the 2nd carbon. If it's on the 1st carbon then it wouldn't fit the general formula of R-CO-R.
    Thanks for your reply.

I still really can't get the idea. Can you just explain how you name the two ketones here? Maybe it will make it more clear.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWEngineer)
    Thanks for your reply.

I still really can't get the idea. Can you just explain how you name the two ketones here? Maybe it will make it more clear.

Thanks.
    The reason you don't include the 2 in propanone is because if it was on either carbon 1 or carbon 3 then it wouldnt be propanone at all, it'd be propanal.

So it goes without saying.

Its like why you dont include numbers on carboxylic acids, the acid group must go at the end of the carbon chain, it can't go anywhere else so no need for numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie901)
    The reason you don't include the 2 in propanone is because if it was on either carbon 1 or carbon 3 then it wouldnt be propanone at all, it'd be propanal.

So it goes without saying.

Its like why you dont include numbers on carboxylic acids, the acid group must go at the end of the carbon chain, it can't go anywhere else so no need for numbers.
    Thanks for your reply.

So, is it OK to say 2-propanone?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.

Thanks.
    Try and draw out propan-1-one on some scrap paper, maybe you'll see where you're going wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.

So, is it OK to say 2-propanone?
    I doubt you'd ever lose a mark in exam for including the numbers. So yeah, it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Try and draw out propan-1-one on some scrap paper, maybe you'll see where you're going wrong.
    When I do this, I get:

CHOCH2CH3

Which is I think now will be called propanal?

So, how could I draw 1-propanone? Or, it doesn't exist?

Thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    When I do this, I get:

CHOCH2CH3

Thanks.
    It doesn't exist and that is why you don't need to specify the '2' in propanone.

It's called redundancy - I've already explained this principle to you...

ReputationRep:
    When I do this, I get:

CHOCH2CH3

Thanks.
    Exactly, if the oxygen is on the end it becomes an aldehyde, which is why you don't have to include the position of the carbonyl when naming propanone or butanone.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, if the oxygen is on the end it becomes an aldehyde, which is why you don't have to include the position of the carbonyl when naming propanone or butanone.
    Got what you mean.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.