Turn on thread page Beta

how do some people manage to get a licence? watch

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, was on my driving lesson today, and was on a duel carriageway....i went to move back into the left lane, check my mirrors put a left indicator etc. moved the car and my driving instructor had to grab the wheel. I looked and some idiot had been trying to overtake me in the left hand lane! And was also sat in my blind spot and not even slowed down as he could see my left indicator was on!

seriously how do people like this manage to get a licence!

ReputationRep:
    They're **** drivers, but manage to focus for a single day to pass their test. Then they go back to being **** drivers.

ReputationRep:
    Key point: should have checked your blind spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    yeah i know but your not allowed to overtake on the left on a duel carridgeway! plus they shouldn't have been sat in my blind spot!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with above. (Fluffy's post)
    Wait until you get on motorways.

ReputationRep:
    Last week 2 people died in my town

3 boys stole a car, the driver didn't have a license he overtook a lorry over the speed limit and crashed into a 28 year old women with a 2 year old son head on.
    She died on impact.
    The passengers legged it when he crashed before getting caught. The driver of the boys car died in hospital few days ago.

I know he didnt have a license, but its just stupid to drive like a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilrascal19)
    I agree with above.
    Wait until you get on motorways.
    yeah i now to to check my blind spot because of idiots! but seriously they oviously wasnt paying any atention to the road at all

ReputationRep:
    You'll see far worse stuff than that once you've passed and are driving more regularly.

1. Middle lane drivers too lazy to move over
    2. People undertaking
    3. People pulling out at junctions without looking
    4. People indicating left at a roundabout to go straight over
    5. People tailgating you on roads 50mph+
    6. People over taking in opposite lane on bends
    7. People doing 70mph+ in narrow lanes
    8. People cutting you up

and many more.

Driving is extremely stressful at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    yeah i now to to check my blind spot because of idiots! but seriously they oviously wasnt paying any atention to the road at all
    Sorry, I had to edit. Didn't realise someone else had posted. But I ment fluffy's post.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean OP.

It's like women driving...I mean COME ON!

Cars don't belong in kitchens, it's dangerous. I found this out recently after crashing into my cooker and causing a pile up.

Nah I'm kidding....I'd never cause a pile up, I'm an amazing driver.

EDIT: Wow...you ladies must really be insecure about your driving skills. It's a joke for Pete's sake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    You'll see far worse stuff than that once you've passed and are driving more regularly.

1. Middle lane drivers too lazy to move over
    2. People undertaking
    3. People pulling out at junctions without looking
    4. People indicating left at a roundabout to go straight over
    5. People tailgating you on roads 50mph+
    6. People over taking in opposite lane on bends
    7. People doing 70mph+ in narrow lanes
    8. People cutting you up

and many more.

Driving is extremely stressful at times.
    i have and have seen 2, 3, 6 and 8 so yeah. people should pay more attention to the road:/

ReputationRep:
    Were you driving slower than the speed limit?

yeah i know but your not allowed to overtake on the left on a duel carridgeway! plus they shouldn't have been sat in my blind spot!
    Not abiding by the rules doesn't make someone a bad driver. When you pass your test you're free to do as you please. I hate being undertaken but do it myself if people sit on the outside lane doing 10mph under the speed limit. Learn to check your mirrors and blind spots, and do it regularly so you can see if someone is coming up behind you where you don't expect them to. When I'm on a motorway or dual carriageway I look in the mirrors every few seconds to make sure when I change lanes I won't be cutting into anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theboilermantr15)
    Were you driving slower than the speed limit?
    nope the speed limit was 30mph i was traveling at that. even still it is illigal to overtake someone on the left on a duel carridge way

ReputationRep:
    be quiet, little one with green licence :eyeball:

check your blind spot next time, you can't rely on the rules of the road to keep you safe, don't rely on indicators or people not undertaking or anything that you're taught in lessons, people do them (or do them wrong) all the time.

ReputationRep:
    True, but then this is what you need to expect from the roads. As my driving instructor always told me "Never trust anybody, everyone is an idiot". Undertaking(or overtaking on the wrong side of the road) is a very minor thing that drivers do, you'll sure see some crazy stuff as you get more experience. I've only been driving independently for 4 months now and it's quite shocking the things you see other drivers do.

Remember that the blind spot is the key. Drivers aren't supposed to be in your blind spot on the left, but then you need to already expect this and prepare to stay in the right hand lane or slow down to let them past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    Had she hit the driver undertaking though he would have been liable for the accident.

Undertaking is classed as careless or dangerous driving. If the car undertaking was accelerating and therefore about to undertake it was their fault. Had the car been staying at a constant speed or slowing down and she tried to pull in cutting them up then it would be her fault. The undertaking rule in the highway code follows 'Do Not' and is only an advisory, however the police can still give you points for not following advisories if they deem your manoeuvre dangerous or careless. If it is illegal then the highway code will state 'MUST NOT' before the rule.

Given her description of the other driver undertaking I can only assume they were accelerating and therefore they would have been liable.

The only time undertaking is permitted in any circumstances is if there is slow moving traffic and the left lane is moving faster than the other two lanes. This would have to be proven in caught by the party that carried out the undertaking manoeuvre.

The highway code also states that cars in the left lane should give room to those in the middle lane to come back into the left lane.

Bare in mind, the person undertaking will always be made liable in court unless other circumstances such as high traffic volume can be proven.

Source: overclockers member and forum assistant for 8 years.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, was on my driving lesson today, and was on a duel carriageway....i went to move back into the left lane, check my mirrors put a left indicator etc. moved the car and my driving instructor had to grab the wheel. I looked and some idiot had been trying to overtake me in the left hand lane! And was also sat in my blind spot and not even slowed down as he could see my left indicator was on!

seriously how do people like this manage to get a licence!
    Drive faster or stay in the slow lane, I hate drivers who go too slowly in the wrong ****ing lane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyimbored)
    be quiet, little one with pink licence :eyeball:

check your blind spot next time, you can't rely on the rules of the road to keep you safe, don't rely on indicators or people not undertaking or anything that you're taught in lessons, people do them (or do them wrong) all the time.
    yeah i know i am gonig to check my blind spots in future. but im just saying some people are pure idiots and dont know how to drive properly.

btw my licence is green..
    (Original post by JamesBris)
    True, but then this is what you need to expect from the roads. As my driving instructor always told me "Never trust anybody, everyone is an idiot". Undertaking(or overtaking on the wrong side of the road) is a very minor thing that drivers do, you'll sure see some crazy stuff as you get more experience. I've only been driving independently for 4 months now and it's quite shocking the things you see other drivers do.

Remember that the blind spot is the key. Drivers aren't supposed to be in your blind spot on the left, but then you need to already expect this and prepare to stay in the right hand lane or slow down to let them past.

yeah i know that now just wasnt exspecting it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Had she hit the driver undertaking though he would have been liable for the accident.

Undertaking is classed as careless or dangerous driving. If the car undertaking was accelerating and therefore about to undertake it was their fault. Had the car been staying at a constant speed or slowing down and she tried to pull in cutting them up then it would be her fault. The undertaking rule in the highway code follows 'Do Not' and is only an advisory, however the police can still give you points for not following advisories if they deem your manoeuvre dangerous or careless. If it is illegal then the highway code will state 'MUST NOT' before the rule.

Given her description of the other driver undertaking I can only assume they were accelerating and therefore they would have been liable.

The only time undertaking is permitted in any circumstances is if there is slow moving traffic and the left lane is moving faster than the other two lanes. This would have to be proven in caught by the party that carried out the undertaking manoeuvre.

The highway code also states that cars in the left lane should give room to those in the middle lane to come back into the left lane.

Bare in mind, the person undertaking will always be made liable in court unless other circumstances such as high traffic volume can be proven.

Source: overclockers member and forum assistant for 8 years.
    they were accelerating and i almost hit their car..

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.