Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

how do some people manage to get a licence? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    Drive faster or stay in the slow lane, I hate drivers who go too slowly in the wrong ****ing lane.
    the dual carridge way i was on was 30mph in ALL lanes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Had she hit the driver undertaking though he would have been liable for the accident.

Undertaking is classed as careless or dangerous driving. If the car undertaking was accelerating and therefore about to undertake it was their fault. Had the car been staying at a constant speed or slowing down and she tried to pull in cutting them up then it would be her fault. The undertaking rule in the highway code follows 'Do Not' and is only an advisory, however the police can still give you points for not following advisories if they deem your manoeuvre dangerous or careless. If it is illegal then the highway code will state 'MUST NOT' before the rule.

Given her description of the other driver undertaking I can only assume they were accelerating and therefore they would have been liable.

The only time undertaking is permitted in any circumstances is if there is slow moving traffic and the left lane is moving faster than the other two lanes. This would have to be proven in caught by the party that carried out the undertaking manoeuvre.

The highway code also states that cars in the left lane should give room to those in the middle lane to come back into the left lane.

Bare in mind, the person undertaking will always be made liable in court unless other circumstances such as high traffic volume can be proven.

Source: overclockers member and forum assistant for 8 years.
    I don't disagree - my point was purely that if she'd checked her blind spot, she would have noticed the driver there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    the dual carridge way i was on was 30mph in ALL lanes
    So?

In Cardiff to Bristol it's 50 MPH on the motorway until you're nearly at the Severn Bridge...

I still do 76.5 mph...

Does that make me a bad driver? No. I've had my license for two years, no points, never had an accident because I ALWAYS look before making any sort of move.

It's not my fault that some people are too nervous to drive at higher speeds, they should just be in the slow lane along with the caravans, horseboxes and pensioners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    I don't disagree - my point was purely that if she'd checked her blind spot, she would have noticed the driver there.
    im a learner...we dont know everything yet....were still LEARNING

ReputationRep:
    they were accelerating and i almost hit their car..
    under the prosecution service they would have been liable then.

I have heard of many people being done for undertaking and unfortunately a lot of people do not learn that it is, in this country, regarded as a dangerous offence.

The person on the left should always, unless they can prove there was slow moving traffic, allow space for those in the right hand lanes to move back into the left hand lane.

ReputationRep:
    So?

In Cardiff to Bristol it's 50 MPH on the motorway until you're nearly at the Severn Bridge...

I still do 76.5 mph...

Does that make me a bad driver? No. I've had my license for two years, no points, never had an accident because I ALWAYS look before making any sort of move.

It's not my fault that some people are too nervous to drive at higher speeds, they should just be in the slow lane along with the caravans, horseboxes and pensioners.

so your speeding? yeah that makes you a good driver dosnt it?

ReputationRep:
    Undertaking not always illegal.

Highway Code, 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Hopefully you will not just rely on your mirrors next time.

Of course there circumstances when undertaking is pretty much a necessity to make progress due to inconsiderate middle/outside lane hoggers refusing to move over.

No but neither does consistently sticking to the speed limits or slower make you any better. What makes a good driver is awareness of the road environment and other road users and to be able to respond appropriately to changes in conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    Yes, fair enough. I did realise that you never said she would be in the wrong. I was just making a point for the OP.

However, even if the person undertaking is regarded as liable the OP should always check as such an accident, especially if its at high speed on a motorway can result in death.

Even though she may not be in the wrong as she was been undertaken, she should still check her blind spot otherwise she risks gambling with her life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)

Highway Code, 268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Of course there circumstances when undertaking is pretty much a necessity to make progress due to inconsiderate middle/outside lane hoggers refusing to move over.
    still...they should have slown down since i was signalling left

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know i am gonig to check my blind spots in future. but im just saying some people are pure idiots and dont know how to drive properly.

btw my licence is green..
    I well and truly cocked that up.

Anyway, this is hopefully a big learning experience for you and something to show you how important the little steps are and how you can't be too careful. Technically there shouldn't be anyone in your blind spot to the left but it's really common for there to be someone there. Taking a slightly different scenario, I've had people sat in my blind spot to the right (as if they were going to overtake me), but travelling at the same speed so they just sit there for ages, if I were to go to overtake someone I wouldn't see them in my mirrors. Stuff like this happens all the time.

My dad always told me that the biggest danger to me on the roads was everyone else, and you need to drive like everyone's a crap driver, and it's completely true because you never know. Always check blind spots, never trust indications, regularly check all your mirrors and keep safe distances from everyone, and do try to keep out of other drivers' blind spots.

I don't really know whether the other driver would be held liable if you'd crashed into them, but that's not reason to not check. Just be a bit more careful, and take this as a learning experience (you're probably in for plenty more).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Yes, fair enough. I did realise that you never said she would be in the wrong. I was just making a point for the OP.

However, even if the person undertaking is regarded as liable the OP should always check as such an accident, especially if its at high speed on a motorway can result in death.

Even though she may not be in the wrong as she was been undertaken, she should still check her blind spot otherwise she risks gambling with her life.
    hi can i just ask you. so should i check my blind spots ALWAYS when im changing lane to left lane or right lane?

ReputationRep:
    im a learner...we dont know everything yet....were still LEARNING
    Woah, no need to be aggressive! I was merely pointing it out, and I'm not saying you were in the wrong either, it's just a good thing to get into the habit of checking your blind spot.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the logic behind that? If I do 90 mph on the motorway, does that make me a bad driver? No, it makes me a better one. Anybody can drive a car, the best drivers are ones who know EXACTLY what is around them. I always look at cars in other lanes to try and interpret their next move, i.e. I prepare myself for situations that could turn into hazardous ones.

It's not my fault you were going too slowly, pick up the pace.

ReputationRep:
    hi can i just ask you. so should i check my blind spots ALWAYS when im changing lane to left lane or right lane?
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    What I hate is when you see someone go to do something and think omg please don't say they are actually going to do what I think they are, when you can't do much about it. I hate that so much, sometimes even if you slam your breaks on you just haven't got enough time to stop if people pull in front of your path too tight.

Some times people make silly mistakes and yeah they aren't acceptable but it can happen to the best of people some times. It never seems the bad drivers get caught either, they always seem to get away with it for ages if not forever.

ReputationRep:
    still...they should have slown down since i was signalling left
    No, you can't take that defence, they're in the lane and you want to move into it, it would be polite to slow down to let you in, but it's not really a rule.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know but your not allowed to overtake on the left on a duel carridgeway! plus they shouldn't have been sat in my blind spot!
    Well to be honest if the driver felt they had to overtake in the left hand lane, you weren't driving in the right lane. Plus you should have checked your blind spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinsley)
    What I hate is when you see someone go to do something and think omg please don't say they are actually going to do what I think they are, when you can't do much about it. I hate that so much, sometimes even if you slam your breaks on you just haven't got enough time to stop if people pull in front of your path too tight.
    Buy a Range Rover, 'nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)

Highway Code, 268

I already highlighted undertaking isn't always illegal and in certain circumstances such as high traffic volume it is legal to do.

However, under prosecution, if you told them you undertook the person in the middle lane as they were hogging it and doing 60mph they would tell you one thing.

'Move into the far right hand lane to overtake them and then move all away back across into the left hand lane.'

One driver hogging the middle lane and being inconsiderate is not an excuse to carry out a dangerous manoeuvre in the eyes of the prosecution service.

The only time I have ever seen someone get off with undertaking, once out of ten's of incidents, is the when there has been ny-on crawling traffic and the left lane is moving slightly faster than the right. As the traffic is in such high volume it would be extremely difficult to move out into the far right lane to overtake and back in with further causing disruption to the flow of traffic.

Undertake by all means but 9/10 you will be liable if you get hit by the person coming in from the middle lane.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the logic behind that? If I do 90 mph on the motorway, does that make me a bad driver? No, it makes me a better one. Anybody can drive a car, the best drivers are ones who know EXACTLY what is around them. I always look at cars in other lanes to try and interpret their next move, i.e. I prepare myself for situations that could turn into hazardous ones.

It's not my fault you were going too slowly, pick up the pace.
    i have never been on a motorway as im still a learner so i woudn't know but you said the speed limit is 50mph and you said you were doing 78 or what ever...thats speeding?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.