Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how do some people manage to get a licence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    So?

In Cardiff to Bristol it's 50 MPH on the motorway until you're nearly at the Severn Bridge...

I still do 76.5 mph...
    Then how the bloody hell haven't you had loads of speeding fines?

Where is the logic behind that? If I do 90 mph on the motorway, does that make me a bad driver? No, it makes me a better one. Anybody can drive a car, the best drivers are ones who know EXACTLY what is around them. I always look at cars in other lanes to try and interpret their next move, i.e. I prepare myself for situations that could turn into hazardous ones.

It's not my fault you were going too slowly, pick up the pace.
    What?
    How does speeding make you a better driver :confused:

And no, she didn't need to pick up the pace as she was going at (or around) the speed limit.

(Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    hi can i just ask you. so should i check my blind spots ALWAYS when im changing lane to left lane or right lane?
    Yes.

still...they should have slown down since i was signalling left
    Signalling is only a "signal" of intent. It doesn't mean other drivers will react to that. Especially when so many drivers indicate incorrectly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Then how the bloody hell haven't you had loads of speeding fines?
    The cameras don't work, there was a problem with the wiring.
    I've had nothing through as of yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Had she hit the driver undertaking though he would have been liable for the accident.

Undertaking is classed as careless or dangerous driving. If the car undertaking was accelerating and therefore about to undertake it was their fault. Had the car been staying at a constant speed or slowing down and she tried to pull in cutting them up then it would be her fault. The undertaking rule in the highway code follows 'Do Not' and is only an advisory, however the police can still give you points for not following advisories if they deem your manoeuvre dangerous or careless. If it is illegal then the highway code will state 'MUST NOT' before the rule.

Given her description of the other driver undertaking I can only assume they were accelerating and therefore they would have been liable.

The only time undertaking is permitted in any circumstances is if there is slow moving traffic and the left lane is moving faster than the other two lanes. This would have to be proven in caught by the party that carried out the undertaking manoeuvre.

The highway code also states that cars in the left lane should give room to those in the middle lane to come back into the left lane.

Bare in mind, the person undertaking will always be made liable in court unless other circumstances such as high traffic volume can be proven.

Source: overclockers member and forum assistant for 8 years.
    You can also undertake if the car in the right-hand lane is clearly intending to turn right (so is signalling right or is in a right-hand only lane).

Drive faster or stay in the slow lane, I hate drivers who go too slowly in the wrong ****ing lane.
    She was following the speed limit. Regardless if you think it is fine to break the speed limit, you should respect drivers who want to follow the law. Especially learners, or are you saying on her test she should drive 70 on a 50 road, and say "Oh, its fine, its safe"?

still...they should have slown down since i was signalling left
    Unless you were in heavy traffic, then they should not have been undertaking, unless you were going significantly under the speed limit, and even then they should have been careful. There are idiots on the road though :|
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Youll remember to check your blind spot next time!

You need to when changing lanes for that very reason! Cos people are idiots, but if you hit him, a court would have seen it as your fault, sad but true. ALWAYS check them when changing lanes, you cant just rely on mirrors.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the logic behind that? If I do 90 mph on the motorway, does that make me a bad driver? No, it makes me a better one
    ...no it doesn't...

speeding doesn't necessarily make you a worse driver, but it doesn't make you a better one...you're probably not nearly as good as a lot of drivers on the motorway doing 60 or 70.

ReputationRep:
    hi can i just ask you. so should i check my blind spots ALWAYS when im changing lane to left lane or right lane?
    Yes for your own safety.

If you were undertaken the person undertaking would be liable unless they could prove there was traffic congestion. You would be able to make a claim on their insurance but what is of more value to you

1) your life/health

2) an insurance payout

Had you checked your blind spot you could have avoided any chance of collision with this driver who was being dangerous so yes, its always vital to check.

ReputationRep:
    i have never been on a motorway as im still a learner so i woudn't know but you said the speed limit is 50mph and you said you were doing 78 or what ever...thats speeding?
    It's 50 mph for "roadworks"... I've never seen any roadworks going on as it's safer to work at night. Why should I travel at 50mph on a motorway which is national speed limit?

If I get pulled I will just say I assumed the 50 only applies when there is working going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    You can also undertake if the car in the right-hand lane is clearly intending to turn right (so is signalling right or is in a right-hand only lane).

She was following the speed limit. Regardless if you think it is fine to break the speed limit, you should respect drivers who want to follow the law. Especially learners, or are you saying on her test she should drive 70 on a 50 road, and say "Oh, its fine, its safe"?

Unless you were in heavy traffic, then they should not have been undertaking, unless you were going significantly under the speed limit, and even then they should have been careful. There are idiots on the road though :|
    Fair enough, I agree.

I was mainly aiming my points towards dual carriageway and motorway undertaking though where right turns are not in the majority, but yes, your point is valid and the OP should take note of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyimbored)
    ...no it doesn't...

speeding doesn't necessarily make you a worse driver, but it doesn't make you a better one...you're probably not nearly as good as a lot of drivers on the motorway doing 60 or 70.
    I can't compare myself to everybody, no. All I know is.. in two years of driving I've had one warning for speeding, no points, no tickets and no crashes.

Considering I drive everyday, plus where I live in Wales is quite lethal in winter and I've not had an accident... I bet a lot of these better drivers would crash in icy conditions.

ReputationRep:
    If I get pulled I will just say I assumed the 50 only applies when there is working going on.
    And you really think that is going to be any defence? The speed limits around there are quite clear.

The cameras don't work, there was a problem with the wiring.
    I've had nothing through as of yet.
    Lucky. I know a few people who have got caught around there.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=rmhumphries;30740410]

No, you will fail because you're breaking the law. I think the law is wrong, I don't think there should be any speed limits on motorways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Fair enough, I agree.

I was mainly aiming my points towards dual carriageway and motorway undertaking though where right turns are not in the majority, but yes, your point is valid and the OP should take note of it.
    I thought I should note it, as on some of the dual carriageways around mine, especially the lower speed ones like the op was on, then they have right turns in various places.

ReputationRep:
    It's 50 mph for "roadworks"... I've never seen any roadworks going on as it's safer to work at night. Why should I travel at 50mph on a motorway which is national speed limit?

err how about because other drivers will assume you are doing 50mph as thats the temp speedlimit? you could cause a accident

ReputationRep:
    1-You have horrific spelling. Not really related but I had to point it out.
    2-This story has very quicly changed to "I was going quite slowly and cut up someone in the left had lane because they were in my blind spot and didn't think to check"

err how about because other drivers will assume you are doing 50mph as thats the temp speedlimit? you could cause a accident
    I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a car on the motorway sticking to temporary limits...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    And you really think that is going to be any defence? The speed limits around there are quite clear.

Lucky. I know a few people who have got caught around there.
    Yeah, i've got away with speeding before on Newport Road in Cardiff where I was doing nearly 55 I think it was.

On the way back to Wales as I come off at Sainsburys just before Newport, I think I miss the majority of the cameras there.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, was on my driving lesson today, and was on a duel carriageway....i went to move back into the left lane, check my mirrors put a left indicator etc. moved the car and my driving instructor had to grab the wheel. I looked and some idiot had been trying to overtake me in the left hand lane! And was also sat in my blind spot and not even slowed down as he could see my left indicator was on!

seriously how do people like this manage to get a licence!
    I agree with the posts above which have said that you can overtake on the inside in certain conditions. If it was a 30mph dual carriageway then I can only assume you were not overtaking cars but trying to get into the correct lane. But I was always taught that indicating does NOT mean that other drivers have to cede to what you are about to do, in my opinion you should have checked the blind spot and then waited until that car had passed in order to indicate and move over. True the other driver should not have been accelerating but you cannot control other drivers, only yourself and act accordingly.

ReputationRep:

No, you will fail because you're breaking the law. I think the law is wrong, I don't think there should be any speed limits on motorways.
    Exactly. So there, my point stands that learner drivers, even if no-one else, need to stay below the speed limit, and still need to be able to overtake slower moving vehicles.

I also disagree with the law in many cases, but for the most point, follow it. If you have valid reasons why a law is invalid, then lobby against it via your MP, etc, however I am pretty sure that studies done shows there would be a raise in accidents, and fatal accidents if the limit was raised even to 80.

Do you check your tyres before every journey? How often do people check their oil, windscreen fluid, brake pads?

I could cause an accident, the same way somebody eating food could cause an accident...
    That is why eating food while driving is not allowed either.

ReputationRep:
    Do you check your tyres before every journey? How often do people check their oil, windscreen fluid, brake pads?

I could cause an accident, the same way somebody eating food could cause an accident...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    1-You have horrific spelling. Not really related but I had to point it out.
    2-This story has very quicly changed to "I was going quite slowly and cut up someone in the left had lane because they were in my blind spot and didn't think to check"

I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a car on the motorway sticking to temporary limits...
    Very often during the roadworks on motorways have I seen people sticking to the speed limit, even where there are no cameras.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i've got away with speeding before on Newport Road in Cardiff where I was doing nearly 55 I think it was.

On the way back to Wales as I come off at Sainsburys just before Newport, I think I miss the majority of the cameras there.
    55 is a lot different to 76 though.
    Its the same with other speed limits - a few mph just over and you'll usually be fine. But not 26 mph over.

You may already know, but they've taken away the limit for a part of that section now. Theres a variable speed limit set up, but the couple of times I've passed there in the last month it has been set to 70. The rest is still 50 though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.