Turn on thread page Beta

how do some people manage to get a licence? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    Yeah, i've got away with speeding before on Newport Road in Cardiff where I was doing nearly 55 I think it was.

On the way back to Wales as I come off at Sainsburys just before Newport, I think I miss the majority of the cameras there.
    You clearly need a car like my old one.
    Valentine one radar detector
    Blinder M45 laser jammers
    Snooper Syrius
    Awwww Yeeeeah

ReputationRep:
    Where is the logic behind that? If I do 90 mph on the motorway, does that make me a bad driver? No, it makes me a better one. Anybody can drive a car, the best drivers are ones who know EXACTLY what is around them. I always look at cars in other lanes to try and interpret their next move, i.e. I prepare myself for situations that could turn into hazardous ones.

It's not my fault you were going too slowly, pick up the pace.
    Agree completely, fast driving can be dangerous but it is dangerous by nature. A good driver can drive fast and safe, just like a bad driver (and there are many of these about) can drive slowly and dangerously. Awareness is the key and it is not affected by speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Exactly. So there, my point stands that learner drivers, even if no-one else, need to stay below the speed limit, and still need to be able to overtake slower moving vehicles.

I also disagree with the law in many cases, but for the most point, follow it. If you have valid reasons why a law is invalid, then lobby against it via your MP, etc, however I am pretty sure that studies done shows there would be a raise in accidents, and fatal accidents if the limit was raised even to 80.
    Of course they do, a good driver will know what lane to be in, know to check a blind spot before changing lanes, I do this always and it's not just a quick glance either.

There is an on-going debate about the speed limit, the German autobahn has no limits in some places, the fatality rates on these stretches of roads are at around 5%, lower than roads with speed limits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    55 is a lot different to 76 though.
    Its the same with other speed limits - a few mph just over and you'll usually be fine. But not 26 mph over.

You may already know, but they've taken away the limit for a part of that section now. Theres a variable speed limit set up, but the couple of times I've passed there in the last month it has been set to 70. The rest is still 50 though.
    Newport Road is a 30mph zone. I haven't noticed that, I'm not sure if they've fixed the cameras either but there was definitely an issue with the wiring a few months back.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. So there, my point stands that learner drivers, even if no-one else, need to stay below the speed limit, and still need to be able to overtake slower moving vehicles.

I also disagree with the law in many cases, but for the most point, follow it. If you have valid reasons why a law is invalid, then lobby against it via your MP, etc, however I am pretty sure that studies done shows there would be a raise in accidents, and fatal accidents if the limit was raised even to 80.
    Not the case unfortunately.

Germany has lower accident rates yet has higher speed limits than 70mph in areas all over the country.

However, that is an entirely different debate and both sides have very good arguments for and against any increase in the national speed limit on a motorway.

I do find it funny how those saying it should stay the same or should be decreased have, because Germans have less accidents, used the excuse 'Germans are better drivers than the British' though :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Of course they do, a good driver will know what lane to be in, know to check a blind spot before changing lanes, I do this always and it's not just a quick glance either.

There is an on-going debate about the speed limit, the German autobahn has no limits in some places, the fatality rates on these stretches of roads are at around 5%, lower than roads with speed limits.
    Yes, but then I believe that the road quality is better, etc. While I have never really got into the debate too much, and won't argue about something I don't know what I am on about, I know there have been various reasons posted why that wouldn't work in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    You clearly need a car like my old one.
    Valentine one radar detector
    Blinder M45 laser jammers
    Snooper Syrius
    Awwww Yeeeeah
    Pro.

ReputationRep:
    I think the main issue we'd have in this country with the complete removal of speed limits is the novelty factor.
    Imagine all the saxo chavs and wannabe street racers in your neighbourhood.
    Now imagine them all out on the roads at >110mph.
    Scary stuff, I think we'd see a significant increase in deaths in the short term, even if there wasn't much of a long term impact.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but then I believe that the road quality is better, etc. While I have never really got into the debate too much, and won't argue about something I don't know what I am on about, I know there have been various reasons posted why that wouldn't work in the UK.
    The German's have dedicated police units for those stretches of road, even though there are no speed limits there still is a safety law enforced, the UK could probably cope if we had that sort of budget for traffic policing.

ReputationRep:
    I think the main issue we'd have in this country with the complete removal of speed limits is the novelty factor.
    Scary stuff, I think we'd see a significant increase in deaths in the short term, even if there wasn't much of a long term impact.
    i don't like that thought....:/

ReputationRep:
    I live in the countryside, nothing but luxury cars bombing around my lanes
    Your point is fair, I still think the UK driving test isn't up to scratch though. Finland and Sweden both have extreme tests where you must perform numerous techniques. Saying that, I think it takes 3 years training to pass in Sweden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    yeah i know but your not allowed to overtake on the left on a duel carridgeway! plus they shouldn't have been sat in my blind spot!
    Actually they can pass in the left lane if traffic in the right hand lane is moving slower. So they can't go from RHL to LHL then back to RHL, but if you were sat in the RHL going slower than them in the LHL then it's perfectly legal for them to pass you.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, was on my driving lesson today, and was on a duel carriageway....i went to move back into the left lane, check my mirrors put a left indicator etc. moved the car and my driving instructor had to grab the wheel. I looked and some idiot had been trying to overtake me in the left hand lane! And was also sat in my blind spot and not even slowed down as he could see my left indicator was on!

seriously how do people like this manage to get a licence!
    Get used to it… there’s so many bad drivers on the roads.. All you can do is make sure YOU are driving correctly and always looking out. He might have been in your blind spot but you need to do more checks, I constantly look over my shoulder because the area I live in has a lot of foreign people still using there licence from there own country where the test wasn’t as hard and they cant drive! Its just the way it is.

ReputationRep:
    Some people cannot drive for sh*t. One of my friends passed her test just under a year ago, and makes some of the most stupid, and dangerous mistakes that i refuse to even sit in the car with her. She's gone speeding down a one way road the wrong way, while there was oncomming traffic ahead, and just started to scream instead of slowing down/stopping, or moving onto the side. Shes also gone around a roundabout the wrong way, again with oncomming traffic ahead, and then proceeded to do a 3point turn in the middle of a busy roundabout :| She doesnt bother checking her mirrors, or signaling when changing lanes on a dual carriageway. I have no idea how on earth she managed to drive sensibly during her test.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are awful drivers. Good thing you got away safely as that's what's important in the end .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    3. People pulling out at junctions without looking
    This is what nearly killed my friend on his bike a few years ago. Stupid woman even said to the police "I didn't look". (changed it again after meeting her son, who was shouting at said friend as he lay in the gutter with his leg smashed to pieces)

In court she changed her story again to say my friend was speeding and driving on the wrong side of the road - resulting in a front-on collision. The bike had its front wheel intact, side of the engine was smashed through my friends leg, all other damage was superficial. How could this physically happened with a front on collision? Seems to imply she drove into the side of him.

Anyway - she got off - the court decided, probably because my friend was 20-something on a motorbike, that it wasn't her fault.

Stupid drivers - stupid court system. If you ever want to kill someone, hit them with your car. You will get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    Long term would be great as all the saxo chavs, punto police evaders and wannabe fast and furious actors will all kill themselves in the first few months making the roads a safer place in the long run.

Those who then pass their test in the future will hear of all the deaths in relation to speeding and will be more likely to drive sensibly.

One of the reasons a lot of young drivers speed is because speed related deaths are hardly ever brought up in the media and then young drivers think 'i'll never get caught and It won't be me that crashes and gets killed'.

If they heard more and more everyday how dangerous and how many lives speed related accidents claimed then more would think otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I live in the countryside, nothing but luxury cars bombing around my lanes
    When not at uni I live in the shetland islands, which probably deserves to be a kind of mecca for fast road driving, even though it's not
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gott...347.24,,0,9.06

2000 miles of road
    1 speed camera

Your point is fair, I still think the UK driving test isn't up to scratch though. Finland and Sweden both have extreme tests where you must perform numerous techniques. Saying that, I think it takes 3 years training to pass in Sweden.
    There's got to be a happy middle-ground.
    I did my test over 2 years ago, have since done pass plus, and I currently hold a national B racing license.
    I feel like I'm at a reasonable standard for road driving, but realistically pass plus should be the standard all new drivers in britain should reach before being allowed to drive alone.

(Original post by Hanvyj)
    This is what nearly killed my friend on his bike a few years ago. Stupid woman even said to the police "I didn't look". (changed it again after meeting her son, who was shouting at said friend as he lay in the gutter with his leg smashed to pieces)

In court she changed her story again to say my friend was speeding and driving on the wrong side of the road - resulting in a front-on collision. The bike had its front wheel intact, side of the engine was smashed through my friends leg, all other damage was superficial. How could this physically happened with a front on collision? Seems to imply she drove into the side of him.

Anyway - she got off - the court decided, probably because my friend was 20-something on a motorbike, that it wasn't her fault.

Stupid drivers - stupid court system. If you ever want to kill someone, hit them with your car. You will get away with it.
    That story made me quite angry...
    He should've got a decent lawyer though and appealed.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know but your not allowed to overtake on the left on a duel carridgeway! plus they shouldn't have been sat in my blind spot!
    Other motorists shouldn't be sitting out in the inside lane when they're not overtaking. If someone can undertake you, you're doing it wrong. Just because you're travelling at the speed limit is no excuse either - the rules are there to allow the free flow of traffic.

Sit out in a lane again and you can well expect to be undertaken regularly. I'd do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Other motorists shouldn't be sitting out in the inside lane when they're not overtaking. If someone can undertake you, you're doing it wrong. Just because you're travelling at the speed limit is no excuse either - the rules are there to allow the free flow of traffic.

Sit out in a lane again and you can well expect to be undertaken regularly. I'd do it.
    i was only in the right hand lane because they were parked cars in the left hand lane. so i moved to the right until i had gone by the parked cars then i tried moving back to the left..

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.