Turn on thread page Beta

how do some people manage to get a licence? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsrstar)
    Some people cannot drive for sh*t. One of my friends passed her test just under a year ago, and makes some of the most stupid, and dangerous mistakes that i refuse to even sit in the car with her. She's gone speeding down a one way road the wrong way, while there was oncomming traffic ahead, and just started to scream instead of slowing down/stopping, or moving onto the side. Shes also gone around a roundabout the wrong way, again with oncomming traffic ahead, and then proceeded to do a 3point turn in the middle of a busy roundabout :| She doesnt bother checking her mirrors, or signaling when changing lanes on a dual carriageway. I have no idea how on earth she managed to drive sensibly during her test.
    how did she pass her test...when she dosnt even know what way round to go on a roundabout..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    So?

In Cardiff to Bristol it's 50 MPH on the motorway until you're nearly at the Severn Bridge...

I still do 76.5 mph...

Does that make me a bad driver? No. I've had my license for two years, no points, never had an accident because I ALWAYS look before making any sort of move.

It's not my fault that some people are too nervous to drive at higher speeds, they should just be in the slow lane along with the caravans, horseboxes and pensioners.
    Rephrased to:

I break the law, I must be a good driver - I haven't been caught yet.

You're an arse. Never use speed as an excuse that you're better. That works on a track, nowhere else.
    I've been driving 8yrs and consider myself a decent driver because I follow the rules.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    still...they should have slown down since i was signalling left
    No. In your maneuvers you should not make other drivers have to change their speed! Yes he was in the wrong as he shouldn't have been undertaking but he could argue that as it was 30 it was a reasonably slow speed (theres a clause that allows drivers to undertake when in slow traffic, usually applies to motorway traffic jams) If you had looked in your blind spot you would have seen him and you wouldn't have carried on with the maneuver. Just because you're signalling doesn't mean you can automatically do it, you need to asses before you do, if it is safe.

hi can i just ask you. so should i check my blind spots ALWAYS when im changing lane to left lane or right lane?
    Yes. Always, always, always!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Rephrased to:

I break the law, I must be a good driver - I haven't been caught yet.

You're an arse. Never use speed as an excuse that you're better. That works on a track, nowhere else.
    I've been driving 8yrs and consider myself a decent driver because I follow the rules.
    He didn't say he was better because he goes fast, he was saying he was not a less safe driver because he speeds. I agree, speed does not always equate to danger. Bad drivers cause accidents, not necessarily speeders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thrifty1992)
    He didn't say he was better because he goes fast, he was saying he was not a less safe driver because he speeds. I agree, speed does not always equate to danger. Bad drivers cause accidents, not necessarily speeders.
    speed limits are there for a reason..

ReputationRep:
    i was only in the right hand lane because they were parked cars in the left hand lane. so i moved to the right until i had gone by the parked cars then i tried moving back to the left..
    If there were parked cars in the left hand lane then how was the other driver able to be driving in that lane? Surely if there was space for him then you need not have moved.

I stand by the argument that dual carriageways in urban areas at 30mph are not dual for overtaking, they are for positioning at coming junctions/roundabouts, so you should rarely, if at all, have to move between them, you should be in the correct lane.

ReputationRep:
    If there were parked cars in the left hand lane then how was the other driver able to be driving in that lane? Surely if there was space for him then you need not have moved.

I stand by the argument that dual carriageways in urban areas at 30mph are not dual for overtaking, they are for positioning at coming junctions/roundabouts, so you should rarely, if at all, have to move between them, you should be in the correct lane.
    i only left it about 2 mins after the parked cars to move back over. and i had to move over due to the parked cars they was no room on the left hand lane because of them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    I can't compare myself to everybody, no. All I know is.. in two years of driving I've had one warning for speeding, no points, no tickets and no crashes.

Considering I drive everyday, plus where I live in Wales is quite lethal in winter and I've not had an accident... I bet a lot of these better drivers would crash in icy conditions.
    Considering a fairly large proportion of those drivers will have been driving for a long time, what makes you think that you, with 2 years driving experience, is better than someone with say 15, 20, 25 or 30 years of experience? They would have dealt with far more harsh winters than you have and would have been tested in various situations more than you have. They will likely have much better observational skills than you and maybe better control of the car.

You're clearly a confident driver, which is a good thing in general, but don't go out thinking that you're a better driver than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    speed limits are there for a reason..
    They are in urban areas, yes, but on rural dual carriageways and motorways, as has been said above, there is no proven link between speed (within reason) and accidents, i.e. autobahn in Germany, some of the safest roads in the world, no speed limits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    No. In your maneuvers you should not make other drivers have to change their speed! Yes he was in the wrong as he shouldn't have been undertaking but he could argue that as it was 30 it was a reasonably slow speed (theres a clause that allows drivers to undertake when in slow traffic, usually applies to motorway traffic jams) If you had looked in your blind spot you would have seen him and you wouldn't have carried on with the maneuver. Just because you're signalling doesn't mean you can automatically do it, you need to asses before you do, if it is safe.

Yes. Always, always, always!!!
    You can not argue 30 is slow moving traffic is the speed limit is 30.

ReputationRep:
    if everyone is driving in the correct lane, there will never be a chance to undertake.

in the UK its illegal to undertake, and you can get points, but to be in the wrong lane is fine (ive seen police do it many times :rolleyes:).

In France its the other way round, you can get stopped and fined (i think) for using the wrong lane.
    and its noticeable, the drivers in France move back over the right hand lane after an overtake, rather then the many of the drivers in the uk :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    i only left it about 2 mins after the parked cars to move back over. and i had to move over due to the parked cars they was no room on the left hand lane because of them
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying
    Either there was enough space for you in the left hand lane, because the car you almost collided with was in it, or you were too slow moving back across and the other car moved early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    You can not argue 30 is slow moving traffic is the speed limit is 30.
    Technically within the law, if one car is travelling in the left hand lane at 35, and the other like the OP is driving in the right hand lane at 30, then the first car, as it is going faster, can undertake slower moving traffic which is not allowing any other opportunity to overtake. It would be the speeding at 35, not the undertake, which is against the law.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying
    Either there was enough space for you in the left hand lane, because the car you almost collided with was in it, or you were too slow moving back across and the other car moved early.
    basically i left it a bit to late to move back over, and the car was already in the left lane trying to over take me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    You'll see far worse stuff than that once you've passed and are driving more regularly.

1. Middle lane drivers too lazy to move over
    2. People undertaking
    3. People pulling out at junctions without looking
    4. People indicating left at a roundabout to go straight over
    5. People tailgating you on roads 50mph+
    6. People over taking in opposite lane on bends
    7. People doing 70mph+ in narrow lanes
    8. People cutting you up

and many more.

Driving is extremely stressful at times.
    PISS me off! i was driving up motorway on a sunday evening, nice n quiet, caravans were in front so i checked mirrors was a white van AGES away yet, so pulled out to go round a couple of caravans, had just got level with front one and the white van got as close as possible to me, flashing his lights, sat there untill i pulled over then put his middle finger up at me... there was NOTHING in the outside lane and he was nowhere near when i pulled over (were talking 5+ car lengths ) he was just to lazy to move into the other lane :| how can someone be THAT lazy!

x

ReputationRep:
    i had my lesson today too, nice day lol but yeh i notices theres really bad drivers everywhere one common mistake is to look at where your turning before you even get to there turn so the car in front maybe stationairy but ul drive straight into it ( saw this today lol) but yeh aslong as your a good driver and stay alert youl be fine but then again cant blame someone for making a mistake cose of someone else, listen to your instructer! :train:

ReputationRep:
    basically i left it a bit to late to move back over, and the car was already in the left lane trying to over take me
    Well next time you know to move over more quickly... this is why people have to take driving lessons, to learn from experiences like this, and by the time you take your test you will know how to avoid many situations like this and others.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, for a learner to check their left hand side blind spot while maintaining positioning in the road at the speed of a dual carriage way is no small feet. Most drivers won't even check their blind spot when moving back in after an overtake.

It was 100% the other drivers fault. For a start undertaking is mostly illegal. Secondly, she's a learner, the other driver would have been clearly aware of this by the fact she had Ls on. For him to massively derp out and try to undertake, not even quick enough for a clean undertake, was a massive HERP DERP.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know but your not allowed to overtake on the left on a duel carridgeway! plus they shouldn't have been sat in my blind spot!
    No one really sticks to this rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    Had she hit the driver undertaking though he would have been liable for the accident.

Undertaking is classed as careless or dangerous driving. If the car undertaking was accelerating and therefore about to undertake it was their fault. Had the car been staying at a constant speed or slowing down and she tried to pull in cutting them up then it would be her fault. The undertaking rule in the highway code follows 'Do Not' and is only an advisory, however the police can still give you points for not following advisories if they deem your manoeuvre dangerous or careless. If it is illegal then the highway code will state 'MUST NOT' before the rule.

Given her description of the other driver undertaking I can only assume they were accelerating and therefore they would have been liable.

The only time undertaking is permitted in any circumstances is if there is slow moving traffic and the left lane is moving faster than the other two lanes. This would have to be proven in caught by the party that carried out the undertaking manoeuvre.

The highway code also states that cars in the left lane should give room to those in the middle lane to come back into the left lane.

Bare in mind, the person undertaking will always be made liable in court unless other circumstances such as high traffic volume can be proven.

Source: overclockers member and forum assistant for 8 years.
    so does that mean if i sit at 70 in the left hand lane, i can pass the cars in the middle lane doing 60?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.