Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how do some people manage to get a licence? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately you're just gonna have to deal with it. Like the examiners always say, you've been taught how to operate a car, it's only after you've got your license you actually learn to drive.
    Dealing with morons like that in a calm way (and not crashing) is what makes you a good driver

Although yeah, it's bloody annoying at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by initiation)
    No but neither does consistently sticking to the speed limits or slower make you any better. What makes a good driver is awareness of the road environment and other road users and to be able to respond appropriately to changes in conditions.
    That's a bit harsh - OP's driving instructor wouldn't have let her go over the speed limit anyway, even if she wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    You guys should consider yourself lucky. Where I am from (3rd world country) you are full of blind spots. The driving culture of the people here is from 20-30 years ago when driving drunk is preferable. Also the condition of the roads is at a state that if you turn your head for a milisecond or lose concentration you need to change tire/tires and eventually repair the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    so does that mean if i sit at 70 in the left hand lane, i can pass the cars in the middle lane doing 60?
    If you're doing 70mph in the left lane and there is someone in the middle lane doing 60mph you will be expected to pull into the far right hand lane to overtake them and then come back across into the left lane.

If you undertook at 70mph a car doing 60mph in the middle lane and they came across and hit you the prosecution service would make you liable for not following the proper overtaking procedure and instead carrying out a dangerous manoeuvre (i.e. undertaking).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    I think the law is wrong, I don't think there should be any speed limits on motorways.
    There didn't used to be speed limits on the motorways, I don't know what the accident rates were compared to now (proportional to the number of cars on them), but it became dangerous because it effectively acted as a boy racer drag strip with people racing up and down them, and it even reached the point where race cars were tested on them. I think one of the things that caused the speed limit to be introduced was a Le Mans car being recorded travelling at 180mph or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiiiii)
    You guys should consider yourself lucky. Where I am from (3rd world country) you are full of blind spots. The driving culture of the people here is from 20-30 years ago when driving drunk is preferable. Also the condition of the roads is at a state that if you turn your head for a milisecond or lose concentration you need to change tire/tires and eventually repair the car.
    I have a house in Asparukhovo, Bulgaria, about 1 hour from both Varna and Bourgas.

Zdrasti i've been learning the language. (Zdrasti was in Bulgarian but TSR won't let me use the Cyrillic alphabet )

I was going to go to the American style uni over there but am now moving there once I've graduated.

Yes I agree about the driving. They all think they're formula one drivers and overtake on blind bends everywhere.

Driving aside, the country is a lot nicer than here in my opinion. The only downfalls in my opinion are the driving, the education system and in some ways the government corruption, but then again government corruption is a problem that is common in most countries, even the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    how did she pass her test...when she dosnt even know what way round to go on a roundabout..
    I have no idea how she passed, she is the least capable driver i have ever come across so far. The wrong way around a roundabout incident was minor compared to the other mistakes shes made while driving. Her excuse was, 'i didnt see the roundabout..i thought it was a normal straight road' :confused: Maybe practical tests have become easier.

ReputationRep:
    i only left it about 2 mins after the parked cars to move back over. and i had to move over due to the parked cars they was no room on the left hand lane because of them
    What was the actual amount of time, roughly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Other motorists shouldn't be sitting out in the inside lane when they're not overtaking. If someone can undertake you, you're doing it wrong. Just because you're travelling at the speed limit is no excuse either - the rules are there to allow the free flow of traffic.

Sit out in a lane again and you can well expect to be undertaken regularly. I'd do it.
    Why would you need to overtake anyone if they are going at the speed limit?

ReputationRep:
    I agree! I was driving a few days ago at 40 mph (which was the speed limit) when some jerk zooms up and starts tailgating me before overtaking me (at a bend, may I add), and then accelerates away at a dangerous pace. I'm used to this sort of behaviour from other drivers on the road - but what was worrying about yesterday was that there were quite a lot of young primary school children walking on the pavement. The speed limit is there for a reason!

ReputationRep:
    Driving slower than the speed limit it THE most annoying thing ever, if it's a 40, do 40, not 30! Ugh this is the biggest thing that annoys me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    I have a house in Asparukhovo, Bulgaria, about 1 hour from both Varna and Bourgas.

Zdrasti i've been learning the language. (Zdrasti was in Bulgarian but TSR won't let me use the Cyrillic alphabet )

I was going to go to the American style uni over there but am now moving there once I've graduated.

Yes I agree about the driving. They all think they're formula one drivers and overtake on blind bends everywhere.

Driving aside, the country is a lot nicer than here in my opinion. The only downfalls in my opinion are the driving, the education system and in some ways the government corruption, but then again government corruption is a problem that is common in most countries, even the UK.

Well the country is nice because you can do w/e you want ...but that is part of the problem also. The corruption and ex soviet parties that are running it.

That aside ..let me just show a picture of a normal Bulgarian street (in the capital) and let them decide how they will earn their licence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    Drive faster or stay in the slow lane, I hate drivers who go too slowly in the wrong ****ing lane.
    tsk tsk

There's no such thing as a slow lane! All lanes are for overtaking except for lane 1 (left hand lane) which is for normal driving. Even if you are going fast, you should be in lane 1 if the road is clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    That's the job of the road police to enforce. Your job as a driver is to move across to lane 1 when it is clear and you are not performing an overtaking manouvre. Stopping someone from breaking the speed limit is not an excuse for lanehogging.

ReputationRep:
    OP: can I ask how long you've been learning to drive? Have you never been taught to look at your blindspot? Anyways, you'll soon learn that this is just what many drivers do, you'll get used to it. Fair enough the driver was in the wrong but so were you, you should have checked thoroughly.

ReputationRep:
    I've done the exact same thing, except i blamed myself and not the guy who nearly flew into me because i didn't check my blind spot before moving over. It was your fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    Because you are not.

It's not for every pleb on the road to go around enforcing speed limits. The rules of the road are separate from regulatory matters like speed limits, and should in theory work to ensure proper traffic flow regardless of such arbitrary limitations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_emmzy_x)
    OP: can I ask how long you've been learning to drive? Have you never been taught to look at your blindspot? Anyways, you'll soon learn that this is just what many drivers do, you'll get used to it. Fair enough the driver was in the wrong but so were you, you should have checked thoroughly.
    I’m embarrassed to admit i have been learning for quite some time. Months. But my instructor has only ever told me to check my blind spots when moving off

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, was on my driving lesson today, and was on a duel carriageway....i went to move back into the left lane, check my mirrors put a left indicator etc. moved the car and my driving instructor had to grab the wheel. I looked and some idiot had been trying to overtake me in the left hand lane! And was also sat in my blind spot and not even slowed down as he could see my left indicator was on!

seriously how do people like this manage to get a licence!
    There are some god awful drivers out there! And believe me, many actually don't have driving licenses!
    It's something you will have to deal with though as they're everywhere! Wait until you start driving on the motorway, plenty people overtake right in front of you at 100mph with no indicating! EEJITS
    You will develop a 6th sense about these drivers though

ReputationRep:
    I’m embarrassed to admit i have been learning for quite some time. Months. But my instructor has only ever told me to check my blind spots when moving off
    Oh no I'm sorry, I didn't mean it in an offending way! I'm just very surprised! If your instructor is failing to tell you this maybe their are other things he's not saying? Have you been taught the seven steps to check you're safe? As general rule for further reference, you should always check your blindspot on dual carriage ways and motorways! Good luck with your driving OP, stay safe.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.