Turn on thread page Beta

how do some people manage to get a licence? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_emmzy_x)
    Oh no I'm sorry, I didn't mean it in an offending way! I'm just very surprised! If your instructor is failing to tell you this maybe their are other things he's not saying? Have you been taught the seven steps to check you're safe? As general rule for further reference, you should always check your blindspot on dual carriage ways and motorways! Good luck with your driving OP, stay safe.
    what are the seven steps? i may have been taught it not shore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiiiii)
    Well the country is nice because you can do w/e you want ...but that is part of the problem also. The corruption and ex soviet parties that are running it.

That aside ..let me just show a picture of a normal Bulgarian street (in the capital) and let them decide how they will earn their licence.

I've been there many a time A great country in my opinion. The people are nice and welcoming in the majority and the only downfalls I could find are the ones I mentioned earlier.

The landscape and climate just puts Britain to shame, oh and the women!

Walking down the Boulevard in Bourgas town centre and the young women are gorgeous! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    what are the seven steps? i may have been taught it not shore?
    Blindspot, window, mirror, front, mirror, window, blindspot! This is what I was taught to do when pulling off.

Normal driving was window, mirror, front, mirror, window.

Dual carriageway and motorways was blindspot mirror for pulling out I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_emmzy_x)
    Blindspot, window, mirror, front, mirror, window, blindspot! This is what I was taught to do when pulling off.

Normal driving was window, mirror, front, mirror, window.

Dual carriageway and motorways was blindspot mirror for pulling out I think.
    oh yh i know wt to check when pulling off. and normal driving. i think he has just forgot to tell me about dual carriage way

ReputationRep:
    Some people shouldn't be driving, agreed.

I have lost count the amount of people too lazy to flick the indicator on.

And it's people like this that make some driving lessons a living hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController;30743506[B)
    ]That's the job of the road police to enforce.[/B] Your job as a driver is to move across to lane 1 when it is clear and you are not performing an overtaking manouvre. Stopping someone from breaking the speed limit is not an excuse for lanehogging.
    Huh? Its against the law. One of you jobs as a driver is to follow the law. I'm confused - are you saying that its ok to break the law, and the police has to try to stop you? I dont get it.

If the slow-lane is empty and you are traveling at the speed limit - you should move into it. If the slow lane is occupied - going the speed limit in the middle lane is fine.

But if the person in the middle lane is going at the speed limit, and you are in the left lane, speeding up to overtake is illegal.

I'm not sure if the guy in the blind spot the OP is talking about was wrong or not - if he was just driving along surely thats fine? The OP should have checked there wasn't anyone hovering in his blind spot (the guy shouldn't have really been doing) but if the guy was trying to overtake he was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    That's the job of the road police to enforce. Your job as a driver is to move across to lane 1 when it is clear and you are not performing an overtaking manouvre. Stopping someone from breaking the speed limit is not an excuse for lanehogging.
    Eh??? Why are people saying this T_T

You are allowed to break the speed limit, and its the police's job to stop you? wtf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-jones2009)
    Seriously, was on my driving lesson today, and was on a duel carriageway....i went to move back into the left lane, check my mirrors put a left indicator etc. moved the car and my driving instructor had to grab the wheel. I looked and some idiot had been trying to overtake me in the left hand lane! And was also sat in my blind spot and not even slowed down as he could see my left indicator was on!

seriously how do people like this manage to get a licence!
    Trust its happened to me, once people pass after a few years they dont care about other people thats why you get traffic problems because they care about themselves. Like on a dual carriageway some guy pulled froma sideroad and i had to brake harrrdddddddddddd

ReputationRep:
    People get into bad habits after passing their test, as the confidence of driving boosts and they become more experienced, and like to take advantage of learners. :no: They just be a "good" driver for their test day, then just do whatever they want basically...until they are caught doing things unbelievably stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thrifty1992)
    Technically within the law, if one car is travelling in the left hand lane at 35, and the other like the OP is driving in the right hand lane at 30, then the first car, as it is going faster, can undertake slower moving traffic which is not allowing any other opportunity to overtake. It would be the speeding at 35, not the undertake, which is against the law.
    Nope, Highway code rule 286, which talks about this says:

"268

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake."

So undertaking is under valid when traffic in your lane (not just you) is moving faster than traffic in the right hand lane.

(Original post by Hanvyj)
    Huh? Its against the law. One of you jobs as a driver is to follow the law. I'm confused - are you saying that its ok to break the law, and the police has to try to stop you? I dont get it.

If the slow-lane is empty and you are traveling at the speed limit - you should move into it. If the slow lane is occupied - going the speed limit in the middle lane is fine.

But if the person in the middle lane is going at the speed limit, and you are in the left lane, speeding up to overtake is illegal.

I'm not sure if the guy in the blind spot the OP is talking about was wrong or not - if he was just driving along surely thats fine? The OP should have checked there wasn't anyone hovering in his blind spot (the guy shouldn't have really been doing) but if the guy was trying to overtake he was wrong.
    The car in the left most lane was attempting to overtake the OP, where the OP was travelling at the speed limit.

ReputationRep:

So, in other words, undertaking someone should be damn-near impossible. If you're not overtaking a driver who is in a near-side lane, then you shouldn't be sitting out in any other lane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    So, in other words, undertaking someone should be damn-near impossible. If you're not overtaking a driver who is in a near-side lane, then you shouldn't be sitting out in any other lane.
    Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because the person in the middle lane is in the wrong, doesn't mean you can do a wrong as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because the person in the middle lane is in the wrong, doesn't mean you can do a wrong as well.
    Indeed, but it seems that these lazy lane-hogs seem more morally self-righteous than speeders on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Indeed, but it seems that these lazy lane-hogs seem more morally self-righteous than speeders on the whole.
    I don't know, most speeders seem to think they are entitled to speed.

ReputationRep:
    so sad

ReputationRep:
    Eh??? Why are people saying this T_T

You are allowed to break the speed limit, and its the police's job to stop you? wtf?
    No, I'm saying that if someone else on the roads wants to speed, that is their choice to break the law and they will be fined for it. It's not up to you to block their lane and drive at exactly 70mph when the road is clear to stop them from speeding. Just let them get past you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    No, I'm saying that if someone else on the roads wants to speed, that is their choice to break the law and they will be fined for it. It's not up to you to block their lane and drive at exactly 70mph when the road is clear to stop them from speeding. Just let them get past you.
    Oh, sorry I misunderstood. Of course its not your job to stop him - but driving in the middle lane at the speed limit (assuming the left lane is full) is what you are supposed to do isn't it? If he decides to overtake you on the inside, because he is speeding, he is in the wrong right?

I'm not very sure about motorway rules!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    What if both lanes of traffic are travelling at the speed limit? Someone in the left lane could decide to speed up. But yeah, I do agree - if the was space for him to overtake, they OP should probably have been in the left. That said - OP was trying to move over a lane.

It also depends on whether the other driver was just weaving around. I have seen drivers undertake by going into everyone breaking space before.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i just slap a blue light on top of my car and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM journey time is **** all

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry I misunderstood. Of course its not your job to stop him - but driving in the middle lane at the speed limit (assuming the left lane is full) is what you are supposed to do isn't it? If he decides to overtake you on the inside, because he is speeding, he is in the wrong right?

I'm not very sure about motorway rules!
    If you are overtaking then yeah it's fine to be in the middle lane at the speed limit. What I thought you were advocating was what some people allegedly do deliberately, which is act as "civil police" by sitting in the 'fast lane' at 70mph on a clear motorway in order to slow people down.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.