Turn on thread page Beta

Travelling to Vienna - Advice? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am planning a trip to Vienna for my partner and I. I've been to Austria when I was younger but don't remember much. Anyone been before, if so can you recommend any places to visit? Already going to the Vienna Zoo, which is one of the best in Europe.

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No one been to Vienna?

ReputationRep:
    Been a few years ago. Cant remember much sorry, but I got one of those tourist cards which give you free travel etc. Went to quite a few of the attractions and they were really good. I seem to remeber the castle/palace as being very good and interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Never been but as I'm currently in Germany I'm thinking of going in the summer. I found this website helpful for ideas:
    http://www.wien.info/en

ReputationRep:
    Must. Check. Out. Hundertwasser's. House!

One of the most famous sightseeing points is also Prater, take an afternoon off to just enjoy yourself, and if you go there make sure you ride the Riesenrad (the Ferris wheel, over 100 years old).

In the city centre you'll probably just wander around the pedestrian zone a little bit, make sure you visit Stephansdom (St Stephen's Cathedral) and check out one of the traditional Viennese cafes. If you have some extra money to spend go to Hotel Sacher and try one of Austria's most famous products, Sacher chocolate cake.

Definitely go to Schönbrunn Palace (and Hofburg), and if you don't know anything about Austrian history I suggest you read a little bit about the Habsburg family and what impact their reign had on the development of Central Europe.

What else... One of the reasons I love Vienna is that you can just wander around for the whole day and admire the architecture, just take a walk on Ringstrasse (there are the Opera House, the Parliament building, the City Hall, few museums, ..)

Visit some museums and galleries, there are plenty there seeing as Vienna is one of the most culturally rich capitals in the world.

Enjoy your visit there.

ReputationRep:
    If you have the money maybe go to the Opera House. I really wanted to do that when I went but at that stage I was running out of money and struggled to even afford a starbucks. But it seemed like such a lovely city just to walk about in with all the beautiful buildings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    No one been to Vienna?
    I regret going there; there just wasn't much going for it, in so far as its a city of 1.7m, but there were no real standout attractions imo. Admittedly, there's a lot of grandeur in the old town, in fact a remarkable amount of it for such a city, but that's all I remember. Of course, if opera and classical music are your thing then Vienna would rival few others for such a trip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ireth00)
    Must. Check. Out. Hundertwasser's. House!

One of the most famous sightseeing points is also Prater, take an afternoon off to just enjoy yourself, and if you go there make sure you ride the Riesenrad (the Ferris wheel, over 100 years old).

In the city centre you'll probably just wander around the pedestrian zone a little bit, make sure you visit Stephansdom (St Stephen's Cathedral) and check out one of the traditional Viennese cafes. If you have some extra money to spend go to Hotel Sacher and try one of Austria's most famous products, Sacher chocolate cake.

Definitely go to Schönbrunn Palace (and Hofburg), and if you don't know anything about Austrian history I suggest you read a little bit about the Habsburg family and what impact their reign had on the development of Central Europe.

What else... One of the reasons I love Vienna is that you can just wander around for the whole day and admire the architecture, just take a walk on Ringstrasse (there are the Opera House, the Parliament building, the City Hall, few museums, ..)

Visit some museums and galleries, there are plenty there seeing as Vienna is one of the most culturally rich capitals in the world.

Enjoy your visit there.
    Thanks for the reply. Some great advice there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    I regret going there; there just wasn't much going for it, in so far as its a city of 1.7m, but there were no real standout attractions imo. Admittedly, there's a lot of grandeur in the old town, in fact a remarkable amount of it for such a city, but that's all I remember. Of course, if opera and classical music are your thing then Vienna would rival few others for such a trip.
    That's a shame. How long did you go for?

ReputationRep:
    Vienna is absolutely stunning, went there for a wedding a few years a go. Beautiful city Went with family friends who showed us around... Go to all the old palaces and parks - theres one which has a zoo in it? cannot remember the name but the grounds and building were gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    That's a shame. How long did you go for?
    I was there for two nights around mid-way through an Interrail trip, it was also the only destination where i wasn't staying in a hostel (all hostels were fully booked, which is a good sign ), so i guess this hampered my experiences there, seeing as I was a solo traveller. But there does seem to be a less than impressed consensus of the place, although each to the own I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ac132)
    Vienna is absolutely stunning, went there for a wedding a few years a go. Beautiful city Went with family friends who showed us around... Go to all the old palaces and parks - theres one which has a zoo in it? cannot remember the name but the grounds and building were gorgeous.
    Yeah as said in my original post, we are going to that zoo. Mainly for that actually, my gf loves animals so am taking her there, was voted best zoo in europe last year.

Thanks for the reply though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    I was there for two nights around mid-way through an Interrail trip, it was also the only destination where i wasn't staying in a hostel (all hostels were fully booked, which is a good sign ), so i guess this hampered my experiences there, seeing as I was a solo traveller. But there does seem to be a less than impressed consensus of the place, although each to the own I guess.
    Did you stay in a hotel? What are the locals like?

ReputationRep:
    Did you stay in a hotel? What are the locals like?
    I stayed in a guesthouse near the main train station. I didn't have enough contact with locals to form an opinion of them. Oh, and the kebabs there are :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Art
    - If you like art get yourself to the belvedere museum, it's a bit outside of the the centre you'll have to get one of the local trains, but worth the wait. I preferred it to the

- Another art history museum that's famous, although i preferred Belvedere .

- Across the road from the art history museum is also a Natural history museum just across the otherside from it.

Food
    - Cafe central really nice place for coffee and cake, it's just beautiful (Think kafka really liked this place)

- Nice chocolate shop that has some of the best chocolate you'll get commercial (Plantation bars) called Xocolat at

To get to both chocolate shop and cafe Get off at herrengasse on the metro, go down the first street and the cafe has a massive sign and it's inbetween two streets can't miss it. Behind the cafe is like an extravagant sort industrial estate type thing it's called although it didn't look industrial, you have to look for Freyung 2, it's inside this arch way type thing. You wont see it unless you go into Freyung 2.

Address for Xocolate: Freyung 2, 1010 Wien, Austria +43 1 5354363,

- Trip into the University of Vienna is lovely just to sit and read. It's really near the chocolate shop across the road. Look at the google maps above should be near there. Just walk into the entrance and then walk straight on till you get out of the building and into the green area, it's so so nice.

- Vienna Zoo is suppose to be good, I never got a chance to go, but friends tell me it's good if that's your thing.

- If you're into opera or classical music, must see one in Vienna. Also don't go during july/august if you're interested I think all of the opera is off as they all go on holiday then.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks insparato, although I think I'd rather shoot myself than sit through an opera.

ReputationRep:
    When I went to Vienna last summer, I had a tour around the stables of the Spanische Hofreitschule.
    We were really close to all the famous white stallions and got so interesting information!
    And then we even saw some of the mares and their foals. It was fantastic!
    But you can only see the mares and foals in summer, I think.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.