Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Upset over my lack of social life... Watch

ReputationRep:
    [Deleted][Deleted]...

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2BDecafj30!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    Hi, so I'm 16 and I have a few close friends.

J - my best friend
    L - my other best friend who doesn't attend my school but she's quite good friends with J too
    K - a close-ish friend but she's best friends with J
    G - a close friend but none of my other friends like her

They're my "best friends", I have a few other friends but none that I feel comfortable with doing things out side school with yet.

The holidays are approaching, so I'll have two weeks off school. What should I do in them? Before, I've only met up with L out of all my friends to go to the cinema and the other 13 days I've spent on my computer. How do I initiate plans and think of fun things to do with my friends? Helppp. I'm fed up of having no social life.

Today for instance, I was sat with a big-ish gorup of people on a table in class (around 12 people) and I just sat there. There were conversations I could have contributed to but I just didn't know what to say so I just stared at the table, day-dreaming. Any advice? I'm reaaally shy. I've nearly finished school permenantly and I feel like I've not accomplished what I wanted to do. I thought after 5 years of being with the same peopel for 5 hours a day I'd have came out of my shell, but nope.
    Set rules for yourself - specifically, try giving up using computers / the internet / games consoles etc for a few weeks.

Don't try to plan what you are going to say, just say it.

Try to approach and chat to one person you dont know each day.

You CAN make shyness wear off, you just need to be strict with yourself and peristant

ReputationRep:
    Jeez just make plans with your friends for god sake youve got no social life cos your making no effort to have one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gryffindor)
    Jeez just make plans with your friends for god sake youve got no social life cos your making no effort to have one
    It's easy saying that, but how do I make plans? I'm scared of rejection even though they're my best friends. There's also nothing to do apart from shopping (none of my friends have money) or cinema.

ReputationRep:
    Just go for it. Text people, chat to them on Facebook, ask if a big group of you want to go shopping. Or a few of you could do some exercise classes or something?

Common sense, really..

ReputationRep:
    You might as well just try sort something out as others have said.
    Although I think saying you're depressed is a bit strong. :/

ReputationRep:
    You think that's bad?

There's a barbeque going on at my house that I wasn't invited to...

ReputationRep:
    Cinema, shopping, go for a walk, go for a meal etc. One of the things I quite enjoy doing in holidays is volunteering at a animal rescue, it gives me that warm fuzzy 'i am doing something good' feeling, it's free and I have met some lovely people

Edit: Be careful using the term 'depressed'. Depression is a serious illness that some might not agree with when used in this circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    How about revise for your GCSE'S?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by post it note fiend)
    Cinema, shopping, go for a walk, go for a meal etc. One of the things I quite enjoy doing in holidays is volunteering at a animal rescue, it gives me that warm fuzzy 'i am doing something good' feeling, it's free and I have met some lovely people

Edit: Be careful using the term 'depressed'. Depression is a serious illness that some might not agree with when used in this circumstance.
    I agree. Sorry if I offended anyone, I decided to change the title of the thread.

(Original post by Louzilla)
    You might as well just try sort something out as others have said.
    Although I think saying you're depressed is a bit strong. :/

ReputationRep:
    im dreading the holidays too.
    i am going to be revising alot, but i want i few a days just to hang out with people.
    i ve had no proper friends for 3 years. i miss it.

ReputationRep:
    just ask X Y Z

ReputationRep:
    Thats not really bad at all if i'm honest, sorry to be-little your problem, i'm sure it's upsetting but don't get too hung up about it!

Revising is a really good idea, it will take up time and help in your exams..and getting the good grades will boost your self esteem!

why don't you just hang out with your friends? like chill/watch tv/go for a walk and just talk for ages? that's what i do with my friends.

but tbh you have more friends than me and you're only 16! you still have college where i'm sure you'll meet a fair amount of people. i'm sure all the things i've just said have already been said but meh..hope you're a bit happier after all the advice! ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Whilst all of my friends are out tonight, I'm home on TSR.
    Sums it all up really...

(Original post by LeaX)
    Whilst all of my friends are out tonight, I'm home on TSR.
    Sums it all up really...
    Because "going out" is the be all and end all right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Because "going out" is the be all and end all right?
    No, but I'm 16. I'm supposed to have a good social life, Facebook albums filled with pictures from parties, etc... But, I have no life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    No, but I'm 16. I'm supposed to have a good social life, Facebook albums filled with pictures from parties, etc... But, I have no life.
    Do you have any common girly interests? Hair, boys, tv shows.

A lot of girls talk about tv shows they watched. It's generally quite fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nepene)
    Do you have any common girly interests? Hair, boys, tv shows.

A lot of girls talk about tv shows they watched. It's generally quite fun.
    Yeah, I have a group of best friends as mentioned but they just either:
    - Never do anything or arrange to meet up
    - Do something but don't think to invite me

:/

ReputationRep:
    maybe join something extracurricular outside of school or try making other friends outside your friend group who don't think to invite you, to be honest going out and stuff is fun, but it gets mundane really quickly, it's not really worth getting that upset over

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.