Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by kerily)
    :teehee: I guess your Level 9 on the SATs will stand you in good stead for an A** at GCSE...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The SATs don't go up to Level 9. There's no such thing. Your teacher is either wrong or joking.
    Before they were abolished, National Curriculum Tests went up to Level 8 but descriptors were produced for Level 9 and Level 10. Level 9 questions were included on KS3 tests - they were also known as EP questions (exceptional performance).

10 Ticks still sell Level 9/10 resources for Key Stage 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Before they were abolished, National Curriculum Tests went up to Level 8 but descriptors were produced for Level 9 and Level 10. Level 9 questions were included on KS3 tests - they were also known as EP questions (exceptional performance).

10 Ticks still sell Level 9/10 resources for Key Stage 3.
    Oh wow, really? I didn't know that I'd heard of 'exceptional performance' but we were never told how you got it or if you had to sit extra papers etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbricks)
    Thanks, for the support guys
    If you have any other tips, feel free to share them

Also, would an FSMQ or Statistics GCSE affect anything in my life (career, university etc)?
    Obviously, the more the better but to be honest, the qualifications that will affect you most for this sort of thing are A-levels. But that's a long way away.

As well as that, is it weird for me to like and enjoy Maths/Science and hate English at school- even though that's what I'm naturally better at?
    No, I enjoyed French but I was never amazing at it.

And which KS3 exam would my school more likely give me- the latest one (2009) or an older one (e.g. 2008)? Or would they mix SAT papers together (e.g. get some pages from the 2009 exam and 2008 exam and mix them together)?
    There's not really much point trying to guess this sort of thing. Just do all of them and get the practise.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll try to practise as much Maths as possible in this Easter break

Okay, but what should I do when I'm doing the past papers- should I try to finish them within the time limit, or should I try to take however longer it takes to finish it, regardless of the time limit?

If you say, I should finish the exam within the time limit, should I just forget about the questions I didn't do or should I come back to them after I've marked them?

And when I've done all the past papers, should I just keep doing them over and over again?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll try to practise as much Maths as possible in this Easter break

Okay, but what should I do when I'm doing the past papers- should I try to finish them within the time limit, or should I try to take however longer it takes to finish it, regardless of the time limit?

If you say, I should finish the exam within the time limit, should I just forget about the questions I didn't do or should I come back to them after I've marked them?

And when I've done all the past papers, should I just keep doing them over and over again?
    When I do a past paper, I always try and aim to get them done in the time limit where possible, but if I find they're taking longer than that then I would still try and get through the whole paper anyway. Don't just 'forget' about the questions you didn't do since they're likely to be the longer, harder questions at the end where it's most important to get practice.

I rarely do the same past paper twice because it's never the same doing a paper that you've seen before. But certainly have another go on questions you were stuck on.

ReputationRep:
    wow my brothers in year 9, and all he does is sit on his laptop playing runescape all day...
    I'd rather do stuff like the OP

ReputationRep:
    Excellent advice, guys, it keep it coming

wow my brothers in year 9, and all he does is sit on his laptop playing runescape all day...
    I'd rather do stuff like the OP
    lol I used to play Runescape...Back in Year 6

"I like Maths so I need to Excel in it" (sorry about the pun )

ReputationRep:
    Also, are you allowed to choose which tier you want to be in for Maths? Or does the school/ exam board choose for you? If they choose for you, how do they choose it- by an exam or classwork? I'd like to do higher tier but a lot of people in Year 11 are doing Foundation. My examination board is OCR.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Also, are you allowed to choose which tier you want to be in for Maths? Or does the school/ exam board choose for you? If they choose for you, how do they choose it- by an exam or classwork? I'd like to do higher tier but a lot of people in Year 11 are doing Foundation. My examination board is OCR.
    You school chooses - if you are close to level 8, you will certainly be entered for Higher. Foundation is pretty unsuitable for people who attain level 6 or above in year 9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You school chooses - if you are close to level 8, you will certainly be entered for Higher. Foundation is pretty unsuitable for people who attain level 6 or above in year 9.
    So why were there lots of people on the list for Foundation, and not so many in Higher?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So why were there lots of people on the list for Foundation, and not so many in Higher?
    Because more than two thirds of Year 9 students attain level 6 or lower.

ReputationRep:
    PRACTISE, PRACTISE, AND EVEN MORE PRACTISE!!!
    Do lots and lots of past papers, and master all the methods, formulas, etc...
    Thats what I did, and I got an 8B in year 9.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Does anyone know which year's SAT exam my school would more likely give me (e.g. which would I more likely get, the newer 2009 one or a 2008 or older exam etc?)

ReputationRep:
    Wow, wish I only had SATs to worry about this summer :teehee: not Further Maths A level and all three STEP papers :mad:

Anyway, to prepare, I would just say to go through every past paper you can find, then you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Practice makes perfect. Especially with maths, if you learn how to do one formula or whatever you learn in Y9 (I'm old I can't remember..) it's all the same just with different numbers And don't forget to show your working, as you can get marks for that even if your eventual answer is incorrect x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Wow, wish I only had SATs to worry about this summer :teehee: not Further Maths A level and all three STEP papers :mad:

Anyway, to prepare, I would just say to go through every past paper you can find, then you should be fine
    I thought it was impossible to do all three in the same year??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths_Lover)
    I thought it was impossible to do all three in the same year??? :confused:
    Not this summer. I'm entered for all of them, and I think often it isn't possible because previously STEP I and III have been on the same day, which is not the case this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Not this summer. I'm entered for all of them, and I think often it isn't possible because previously STEP I and III have been on the same day, which is not the case this year.
    Oh. I was wondering. Good luck in the STEP papers, then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths_Lover)
    Oh. I was wondering. Good luck in the STEP papers, then.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Glen_Nichols)
    Mymaths.co.uk is kewl.
    I used to find that website amazing- id deffinately recommend it.
    As well as using this- do lots of past papers to get practice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 10, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.