Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Supposing you're doing 70mph on the left most lane on the M40, you then come up to a big huge lorry doing 56mph.

In the middle lane there is this idiot in a Ford Mondeo doing probably 58mph.

On the outside (fast) lane there is one Citroen Saxo doing 80mph.

If you keep on going you will pass the Mondeo and enough space to change lanes and pass the lorry. But is passing the Mondeo from the inside lane considered undertaking?

Can't remember exactly what's the highway code on this.... but is it illegal to turn on the right indicator and change lanes behind the Mondeo and get into the fast lane in front of the Citroen.... assume when you get in front of the Citroen you will speed up to 85mph, so no chance of a collision. Also if you are doing this manoeuvre is keeping the indicator switched on from the inner most (slow) lane suffice or?

ReputationRep:
    My mother (driving instructor) says 'undertaking is only legal when there is slower moving traffic on your right', and she says that it'd be really dangerous to do what you suggested.

I'd wait in the left lane til the Mondeo goes past, then go in behind it by which point the Saxo would be far in the distance so you can overtake the Mondeo and come back in again.

Oh, and if you were stupid enough to do this manoeuvre, keeping your right indicator on is fine until you're in the right most lane.

Sounds like undertaking to me. I wouldn't jump in front of the Citroen as well though. I don't think a copper would pull you over for undertaking a prat toodling along in the middle lane (if there's space to undertake there's space for them to have pulled into the slower lane), but if you fly across the motorway from the inside to the outside, effectively undertaking two cars across two lanes at the same time, you'd be attracting some kind of attention. It'd be pretty dangerous too. If the Citroen is doing 80 there's a 20mph difference so it won't take long for them to pass you when you get to the middle lane.

Technically you're supposed to check to make sure the way is clear before signalling.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah passing on the inside is undertaking unless you're in a queue of near-stationary traffic.

doing a two lane swerve isn't illegal but you might attract the attention of any cops watching.

the saxo shouldn't even be in the 3rd lane unless he's about to overtake something in the middle lane, I'd bear in mind that it's pretty difficult to judge the speed of stuff coming up behind and think he was probably going faster than I thought he was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    My mother (driving instructor) says 'undertaking is only legal when there is slower moving traffic on your right', and she says that it'd be really dangerous to do what you suggested.
    Eh? no offense to you or your mum, but how could you undertake something that wasn't moving slower? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    bloody pootlers in the middle lane. I don't know why they made the M25 four lanes...everyone still insists on driving in the two right-hand lanes, max 70mph most of the time. drives me BONKERS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Eh? no offense to you or your mum, but how could you undertake something that wasn't moving slower? :confused:
    I assume she means slower than the speed limit. I undertake in this situation too as it's safe and I'm paying attention. Undertaking itself isn't an offence, it's just expected that you overtake on the right. Purposely moving to the left to undertake would probably be driving without due care and attention or dangerous driving. Had it happen to me a few times doing just over 70 in lane 2 and coming up on a lorry in the left lane where someone moves to the left in the tiny gap and zooms past and squeezes through a tiny gap very dangerously.

ReputationRep:
    In your position I would continue in lane 1 and then pull into the space in lane 2 infront of the mondeo. You aren't breaking any laws by passing the mondeo in lane 1 if you have been in lane 1 for some time and aren't moving into it purely to overtake. You are simply keeping up with the pace of traffic in lane 1 and moving out to overtake the lorry when necessary, regardless of the middle lane hogger.

ReputationRep:
    Highway code #286
    Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code_motorways

ReputationRep:
    I mostly agree with that. Notice that it is a 'Do not' rather than a 'MUST not' though. 'MUST not' would be against the law, 'Do not' isn't against the law but advised against.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how powerful your car is...

I know the distance it takes for my car to accelerate from 65 to 85 (not long!) so if that distance exists in front of the Citroen then I would go for it. Obviously I wouldn't in something with no power.

ReputationRep:
    I make it a point of principle to undertake anyone doing under 55 in the middle lane when it's possible to do more. I mean, teaches them a lesson that it's just as dangerous to drive too slow for conditions than too fast.

ReputationRep:
    yes, passing the mondeo on the left hand side is considered undertaking, and yes, it's illegal.
    irritating much, people who cannae drive, or drive slowly in the faster lanes grrrrrr, but yeah, don't do it :P not a good plan. saw a porche undertake a couple cars once, then overtake a couple, then undertake. the police quickly followed. i just laughed.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting responses here. It's a rather annoying situation to be in.
    Personally, I tend to prefer to know there is a good deal of space between me and the vehicle I'm overtaking/any vehicles coming up in the next lane over (assuming the road is reasonably clear and that's feasible) so I would probably wait for the Mondeo to go past, go into the middle lane and then move into the fast lane.

But then, the first time I went on the motorway I got a bit overenthusiastic with the overtaking so I've always been pretty careful since.

People who undertake unnecessarily or weave piss me off.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would have eased off the gas before I got to the Mondeo and given the Citroen time to clear through, then switch from lane 1 (left) to 3 (right) to pass the Mondeo. If there was plenty of space between the Mondeo and the truck I would then switch to lane 2 (middle) to pass the truck, but otherwise I'd stay out in 3 and pass them both, then go back to 1 if appropriate.

Undertaking the Mondeo would be illegal and it could also impede your progress. The Mondeo might notice your undertake and be uncomfortable with it, but still want to pass the truck. He might speed up to 65 or so to get back in front of you and stay out in lane 2 until he passes the truck. You then have the situation where you don't have room in front of the Mondeo to go to lane 2, and you could find youself trapped behind the truck whilst the Mondeo and the Citroen do their overtakes, and being forced to slow to 56.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameraGirl)
    yes, passing the mondeo on the left hand side is considered undertaking, and yes, it's illegal.
    irritating much, people who cannae drive, or drive slowly in the faster lanes grrrrrr, but yeah, don't do it :P not a good plan. saw a porche undertake a couple cars once, then overtake a couple, then undertake. the police quickly followed. i just laughed.
    See above. Undertaking in itself is not illegal. Reckless undertaking by weaving in and out of lanes is driving without due care and attention. Sliding past the Mondeo on the left would be legal as you're not changing lanes to pass it and he's going slower than most traffic in the left lane.

(Original post by TheFatController)
    Undertaking the Mondeo would be illegal
    Also see above. Unless there is a 'MUST not' in the Highway Code, the act is not illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh User)
    See above. Undertaking in itself is not illegal. Reckless undertaking by weaving in and out of lanes is driving without due care and attention. Sliding past the Mondeo on the left would be legal as you're not changing lanes to pass it and he's going slower than most traffic in the left lane.

Also see above. Unless there is a 'MUST not' in the Highway Code, the act is not illegal.
    Undertaking in itself might not be an offence, but I imagine it would get you a ticket for driving without due care (or similar) from any copper who sees you doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh User)

ok, fair point. i always thought it was illegal unless there was a traffic jam and the entire lanes left of you were travelling slower and your lane was progressing and there was no other choice but to pass on the left. i've been proven wrong :P

still risky though, i wouldnt do it, i'd have slowed down slightly then moved to the right behind the mondeo to overtake both mondeo and lorry.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.