This discussion is closed.
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
does anyone know of any way to find this out (now!) online?

I want to know if its worth getting up tomorrow morning
MC
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)

Is it not individual school across the country vary.
I also doubt that many schools put details online as not all students have access to the net.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

if you google for school closures, theres a lot of websites for different areas.

dont know which county you live in, so dont know if its any good.

love Katy ***
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
if you google for school closures, theres a lot of websites for different areas.

dont know which county you live in, so dont know if its any good.

love Katy ***
I live near Birmingham.

I came, I googled, and i saw that the web pages are not updated

thanks anyway tho
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ah...if only it'd snow through the night and make it thick enough to have a cancelation *sigh*, that'd be nice, then I could turn my cruddy maths coursework into something it bit more acceptable *sigh*.

As it is, I'm tired and poo-poo-ed. Blah

Night everone.
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i dont know if my school is closed.. but the bus up there was cancelled...... oh well!
Mr White
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I get the feeling that it would take much more than a snow-storm to close my sixth-form (nothing short of the apocalypse could). Even a couple of years ago, when there was 3 inches of snow (highest in this area for decades), the damn place was still open for business, despite every other school within 50 miles closing down.
ShOcKzZ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
I get the feeling that it would take much more than a snow-storm to close my sixth-form (nothing short of the apocalypse could). Even a couple of years ago, when there was 3 inches of snow (highest in this area for decades), the damn place was still open for business, despite every other school within 50 miles closing down.
what about for the petrol crisis...was it closed then? ours was since most of the teachers couldnt get to school.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ShOcKzZ)
what about for the petrol crisis...was it closed then? ours was since most of the teachers couldnt get to school.
For some reason, this area wasn't very badly affected. The school was still open, but only half the teachers were there (and most of the pupils just said "f**k that" and stayed home).
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmphed- dragged myself out of bed, forced into schoolwear, lumbered to school only to find it was in fact...closed. Ah well, I had it better than the poor lad I met on the way back- he'd cycled from 3 or 4 miles away.

Ah well, no lie in but still- day off, huzzah!
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well I am at boarding school! Nightmare situation. Never closes!
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You poor buggers. I feel for you honestly. You get to miss school because there is a bit too much snow lying around. *waves a hanky* Over here there is a rule that if it hits 40C and rooms for use at the school do not have air conditioning, then the school must close. They merely contemplated this once, but thought that two pathetic ceiling fans compensated for the sweltering heat. Not sure what kids would do if they were sent home though. Our summer is an average of 43C, and higher still over weeks before and after Christmas, but the water in the river and town pool hits a comfy 35C at that time. Snow I tells ya. Just snuggle up in bed and remember that some people will never get that luxury
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sire,

the problem is ice. Yesterday, the council sent the gritting lorries out far too late so all the roads were icy. There were loads of crashes, even more little bumps, wheelspins everywhere and people having to drive extremely slowly. Total gridlock. Some people I know had to walk a long way home from school. I didn't get back until 8 at night - I intended to get my lift at 5:15 after my after-school session and get home for 5:30, but I actually left at 7:00 (mum was stuck in traffic on the way there from her work - she had to pass school anyway) and got back at 8.

That's why they closed the schools, not because of cold.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

i dont think there is a way to find out is there
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
So is anyone actually off school because of the ice...black ice is a nightmare!
kikzen
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa)
i wanna try riding my bike on it.. but i dont have a helmet.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kikzen)
i wanna try riding my bike on it.. but i dont have a helmet.
is that a mediocre attempt of a joke?
Dont cry man!!!! irony!!!
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm off school. I go to the same school as Dickie, but he came on asking this when I was tucked up in bed.

In fact, it was announced on Midlands Today on TV and on local radio stations at about 10:30 last night that all schools within the Birmingham and Solihull districts are closed today. But I haven't found anything on the net about it, strangely enough.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
I'm off school. I go to the same school as Dickie, but he came on asking this when I was tucked up in bed.

In fact, it was announced on Midlands Today on TV and on local radio stations at about 10:30 last night that all schools within the Birmingham and Solihull districts are closed today. But I haven't found anything on the net about it, strangely enough.
Your really lucky down in the suberbs of crawley noone ever knows where it is this is sadly not the case *doh*
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Your really lucky down in the suberbs of crawley noone ever knows where it is this is sadly not the case *doh*
:confused:

So you're saying that in the suburbs of Crawley nobody ever knows if the schools are closed? And it isn't today?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads