Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling that no-one likes you. Has anyone else felt this way? watch

Hello.

I just recently came out of a LTR, and am feeling very lonely.
    It's the kind of time that I feel I need friends to rely on and talk to.

However, recently I've been feeling that everytime I talk to someone, I annoy them. Or, that people just don't like me, and don't want to spend any time with me.

Here's why:
    *I started doing an activity with a friend so I could get out of the house. The last three times, she's cancelled.
    *One of those times, she said she was busy - found out later she wasn't.
    *I have sent two emails to two different friends and have got no response.
    *I used to text one of my friends, but she told me her phone broke so she couldn't get my messages, and then the next day was texting again.
    *No-one has asked me how I am, despite knowing about the breakup. It's almost like people are afraid that I will talk to them, and want to avoid it.
    *When I talk to people online, they are very short with me, and avoid treating me like a friend, ie. talking to me about matters that aren't professional.
    *People seem to see other people rather than me when they have the choice.
    *Friends aren't really bothered about me, and don't text unless they have to for some reason, or need something.

Can you tell anything from the way I am talking that would put people off?
    I am so lonely and miserable, and I need a friend so badly. I feel like the lowest form of crap in the world. No-one wants to spend time with me.
    Am I really that bad? And if I am, how can I not be? How can I be better.

Has anyone else felt like this? If so, how did the situation pan out? Did you ever find out what the reason was?

Thank you for reading.

ReputationRep:
    sometimes ppl do get lonely like that from time to time. there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with you. during your relationship, because it was long, maybe you grew closer to your partner and confided in him/her more than your friends, so your nor as close as you thought. it might be that they are just arses and don't want to talk about it with you.

if you need to talk, i'll listen x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello.

However, recently I've been feeling that everytime I talk to someone, I annoy them. Or, that people just don't like me, and don't want to spend any time with me.

Here's why:
    *I started doing an activity with a friend so I could get out of the house. The last three times, she's cancelled.
    *I used to text one of my friends, but she told me her phone broke so she couldn't get my messages, and then the next day was texting again.
    *No-one has asked me how I am, despite knowing about the breakup. It's almost like people are afraid that I will talk to them, and want to avoid it.
    *When I talk to people online, they are very short with me, and avoid treating me like a friend, ie. talking to me about matters that aren't professional.
    *Friends aren't really bothered about me, and don't text unless they have to for some reason, or need something.

I am so lonely and miserable, and I need a friend so badly. I feel like the lowest form of crap in the world. No-one wants to spend time with me.

Has anyone else felt like this? If so, how did the situation pan out? Did you ever find out what the reason was?

Thank you for reading.
    Noone else has ever felt like this I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Well we're all friends on TSR *hugs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello.

Here's why:

Thank you for reading.
    Sometimes when you're in a relationship, you discard your friends, unknowingly of course. They may feel you dropped them for your ex. However, I think its in tough times like this you see who your real friends are. You will come out of this stronger, and there will come a time when they will need your help, perhaps then you will see you are not so keen to give it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brunettegirl92)
    sometimes ppl do get lonely like that from time to time. there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with you. during your relationship, because it was long, maybe you grew closer to your partner and confided in him/her more than your friends, so your nor as close as you thought. it might be that they are just arses and don't want to talk about it with you.

if you need to talk, i'll listen x
    Maybe this. Taken to extreme, if you actually ditched your friends for boyfriend during the relationship, they may actually feel resentful that you're suddenly clinging onto them now as if nothing's changed.

If that's not the case, do you find yourself talking about him all the time to other people? Whilst it's understandable to want to talk about a break up after it's just happened, it may be too much for people if that's all you're capable of talking about.

Also, do you ask what is happening in their lives?

Not to put you down by the way, I have no idea what's causing this, it is unusual/harsh for friends to ignore someone after a break up. I'm just listing some things which may be the case.

i have this as well.
    there was one day i was particularly bad ( broke up with bf recently too0.
    i remember being stood up by two friends. and i remember feeling sorry for myself cause i was in one weekend nights. then i texted my people asking how they were. no reply. i went online, a friend was really busy talking with a guy she fancied to take any notice. then i was relieved that another friend came online, but they gave me short answers then said they were going offline, pretty much cause i was distracting them from their work. then they appeared offline whilst commenting on facebook pictures etc.
    this was a say i really need some sort of company or contact.

but then other days i'm busy and all them friends do talk to me. so when you need people the most, your true friends will come out for you. i don't think i have much.....

Yes, it's possible that I rejected my friends when I was in the relationship. Probable even.

Although, when it first happened, one of my friends did invite me over to watch movies, and we did a couple of activities together, before her phone 'broke' and she ended up hanging out with others but telling me that she wasn't back from her parents. If she felt rejected.... why did she make the effort in the beginning. It's almost like she tried hanging out with me, and then decided that she didn't like it after all.

I'm not at all resentful of my friends, and if they have their reasons, that's fair enough. I just wish I knew why. What it was about me that makes me so unlikeable. When I'm with others, I try hard to be fun and bubbly and happy.

Apart from the friend I just mentioned, I haven't talked to anyone else about the breakup because.... Well, they've never brought it up, or seemed interested, and when I start to talk to them in a more personal way, they seem to switch off. I try to ask others how their life is. No-ones really talked to me in depth about their problems, but that's probably because they don't want to talk to me. I do ask how they're doing.

I feel I have grown apart from my friends. But we were never that close to begin with. I guess I'm kinda suprised that this massive change has happened in my life, and no-ones even asked about it. No one has wondered if I'm okay. This is the first time I've ever lived alone, and no-one has come to visit me at all in the couple of months I've been here. I'm only five minutes down the road. I just feel utterly uncared about.

Anonymous poster no. 2, I feel exactly like that. I'm lucky, I haven't had a day that has felt as bad as that yet, but it's the same kind of rejection.

Is it very self involved for me to think that people would care more.
    I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

Thank you, btw, to everyone

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.