Turn on thread page Beta

Smoking when pregnant-your views. watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so basically I saw this girl today who was pregant and about 16 or 17 walking with her partner sharing a ciggerette and posted this status to facebook-

"Just wittnessed some girl smoking a ciggerette ...while pregnant! What the f**k is wrong with some people!?"

My cousin, who had a baby in September past ,quickly replied with :

"Hey I smoked when I was pregnant! Lol"

She had a difficult birth with her son, and suffered a lot of blood loss, so I was kinda thinking "Yeah ,and look what happened." Although I didn't say anything back.

I'm curious though-what are your views on it? Do you have kids and smoked when you were expecting, or are you expecting now, and haven't stopped? All views are appriciated though-regardless of having children or not.

I don't have kids,and don't smoke, but when my time comes I'm not even going to let my bump be exposed to smoke- I don't know how anyone could expose thier child with thier own smoke knowing the damage it could do.

So what is your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with it. Smoking, and all that comes with it, is a lifestyle choice and I don't think it's fair to force that on a baby who doesn't have a choice. :no:

I think its disgusting. Smoking in general too, but whatever. Just think of the unneeded stress its causing the baby and the unnecessary worry you'd get when things go wrong with your baby??

URGH! It makes me so angry :grr:

ReputationRep:
    I feel it's the wrong thing, but at the end of the day, it's their choice and I'm sure a 15-year-old's opinion won't change theirs.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking while pregnant is dangerous for the baby (putting aside the fact that smoking is bad in general) and therefore I think it is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is bad, BUT its their choice and in many countries its legal to smoke. So I have no problem with that. However it has been scientifically proven that smoking when having a baby in the womb will endanger the baby future. That is unforgivable.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is OK to smoke when pregnant - studies have found that there are actually some benefits to it. Also, life is about enjoyment, so why go nine months without doing something you love?

ReputationRep:
    It's selfish and disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky:-))
    It's selfish and disgusting.
    I completely disagree. The baby causes a lot of pain and stress to the mother for nine months, and she isn't even allowed to alleviate that pain with a nice smoke? That isn't at all fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilberforce)
    I think it is OK to smoke when pregnant - studies have found that there are actually some benefits to it. Also, life is about enjoyment, so why go nine months without doing something you love?

I respect your opinion,

but

If it causes still birth or miscarriage of your son or daughter, then you'll have to go your whole life without something you love. Surely giving up a hobby for 9 months is easy compared to giving up your child.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what smoking does to a baby fetus, but I sure know the alcohol really causes problems. I remember being shown fetuses with deformed heads and what have you.

ReputationRep:
    I completely disagree. The baby causes a lot of pain and stress to the mother for nine months, and she isn't even allowed to alleviate that pain with a nice smoke? That isn't at all fair.
    Now I know your joking!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowpatrolchlo)
    I respect your opinion,

but

If it causes still birth or miscarriage of your son or daughter, then you'll have to go your whole life without something you love. Surely giving up a hobby for 9 months is easy compared to giving up your child.
    The chances of a miscarriage occurring solely due to smoking is very, very, very unlikely. There is just as much chance of a miscarriage as a result of the combined stress of their cravings for a smoke and the baby itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jryanas)
    I don't know what smoking does to a baby fetus, but I sure know the alcohol really causes problems. I remember being shown fetuses with deformed heads and what have you.
    I'm not saying drinking is better- The woman is responsible for 2 lives when she's pregnant, hers and her babys. If she really loves that child, she should be able to go 9 months with out smoking or drinking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jryanas)
    Smoking and drinking in pregnancy can damage the part of the brain responsible for making judgments, reasoning, impulsive behaviour etc, so:

Person who's mum smoked when pregnant= increased risk of criminal behaviour

That's not even going into physical health problems it causes!

Anyway this a bit of a serious topic for my first few posts, I'm not always so serious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky:-))
    Now I know your joking!!
    No I'm not joking. Let's see if you find it so easy when you're pregnant. If you don't smoke you obviously can't relate in that sense either.

Oh, and thanks for the neg rep! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No I don't smoke, so unfortunately will never have any idea what the poor souls are having to deal with trying to give up!

neg rep???

ReputationRep:
    The chances of a miscarriage occurring solely due to smoking is very, very, very unlikely. There is just as much chance of a miscarriage as a result of the combined stress of their cravings for a smoke and the baby itself.
    Other reasons why not to smoke-

"Smoking during pregnancy is a risky move. For years, doctors have known that women who smoke while pregnant have almost double the risk of having a low-birthweight baby and an increased risk of giving birth prematurely –- and that secondhand smoke exposure carries similar risks. Cigarette smoke can cause numerous health problems in children that last for years after birth, possibly even an increased risk of childhood leukemia. "
    http://miscarriage.about.com/od/risk.../f/smoking.htm

Is it worth it for a few moments of satisfaction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowpatrolchlo)
    Other reasons why not to smoke-

"Smoking during pregnancy is a risky move. For years, doctors have known that women who smoke while pregnant have almost double the risk of having a low-birthweight baby and an increased risk of giving birth prematurely –- and that secondhand smoke exposure carries similar risks. Cigarette smoke can cause numerous health problems in children that last for years after birth, possibly even an increased risk of childhood leukemia. "
    http://miscarriage.about.com/od/risk.../f/smoking.htm

Is it worth it for a few moments of satisfaction?
    Ah yes, and mothers who don't smoke never give birth prematurely or have miscarriages :rolleyes: Statistics can be used to prove anything, and I maintain that it would take a hell of a lot of cigarettes to have any possible effect, and even then there is only slim chance of anything happening as a direct result from the smoking. And yes, it bloody well is worth it; the mother is giving birth to this baby, why does she have to suffer unnecessary stress that could be avoided with smoking? And as I said before - the benefits of not smoking during pregnancy are evened out by the stress smoking mothers feel having to give up their cigarettes at a time of significant pain for them.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    my opinion is that it's completely disgusting to smoke whilst pregnant, and also to smoke around your children. People should put their kids health first.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.