Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I think i'm Anemic.... watch

Announcements

Any medicines i can buy over the counter instead of going to the doctor? i hate blood tests you see but i'm fairly certain i am anemic.

ReputationRep:
    Get it checked out to make sure before you start taking medicine ... -.-

ReputationRep:
    You're either a troll or just plain stupid.

ReputationRep:
    take some iron tablets.

ReputationRep:
    Grate some iron over your toast.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctors for god sake!

They'll prescribe you iron sulphate tablets or tell you to eat more iron rich food - dark leafy greens ect.

ReputationRep:
    Doctor first, medicine later.

ReputationRep:
    How anaemic do you think you are? You could take multi vitamins with iron, but if you're really anaemic then its not going to do that much good, you're better off going to your doctor.

ReputationRep:
    You're going to have to get over your fear of blood tests because as far as I know that's the only way they diagnose anaemia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    You're either a troll or just plain stupid.

Best picture ever!

[SIG]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Any medicines i can buy over the counter instead of going to the doctor? i hate blood tests you see but i'm fairly certain i am anemic.
    Why do you think you're anaemic?
    Some of the signs of anaemia are the same as diabetes, you really should get a blood test no matter how scared you are.
    Taking iron tablets when you don't need them could be bad for you..too much iron in your system has negative effects.
    You could try changing your diet, eating more meat, eggs, dark green leafy vegetables etc and see how you feel.
    But please get it checked out as it may be something else and you may need other treatment if you're very anaemic!

ReputationRep:
    Iron difficency is the most common nutritional difficency in the world. I'm anemic as well, have been on/off for years.

My mum got me Spatone sachets from Boots, theres 30 in one box, and you put one in a glass of water and it's iron eqivilent is to 8lbs of brocolli or something. So I recommend that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ferrous Sulphate tablets. But you should really take a blood test before taking these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merryhappy)
    Iron difficency is the most common nutritional difficency in the world. I'm anemic as well, have been on/off for years.

My mum got me Spatone sachets from Boots, theres 30 in one box, and you put one in a glass of water and it's iron eqivilent is to 8lbs of brocolli or something. So I recommend that.
    Really? Wow. Maybe I'll try this.

ReputationRep:
    You're better off getting a blood test to make sure. What if its something else or youre not even anemic. Blood tests dont really hurt, better safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    As lots of other people have already said, only a blood test can determine whether you are anaemic or not, so it is advisable that you visit your GP.

It is possible, however, to be slightly anaemic sometimes in relation to your monthly cycle and therefore this may not show up at a blood test at a different time in your cycle.

You can buy multi-vitamin tablets that contain iron in them. I take one from Boots that has 100% of the RDA of iron in each tablet (you take one a day).

ReputationRep:
    so did this guy:

but seriously, try getting Fenoglobin syup

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was anemic back, turns out I just had really low blood pressure, and they didn't have to take a blood sample. So just go to the doctor's, it's unlikely that you are actually anemic.

ReputationRep:
    Have the blood test, if you are anaemic then you would want to know about it. Chances are for you it will be diet related, but assuming it's not, the doctor also needs to treat the cause of the anaemia, as well as the anaemia. Iron deficiency also isn't the only cause of anaemia, so again, you need a blood test so they can choose the right treatment.

Whilst you're waiting for your appointment, try eating enriched breakfast cereals, red meat and pumpkin seeds, spinach, milk etc. Don't drink tea with meals, because it stops you absorbing as much iron, have orange juice instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bfly)
    Really? Wow. Maybe I'll try this.
    Yeah, it's really good.

http://www.boots.com/en/Spatone-Iron-Sachets-28_4933/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.