Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This year I applied to do Environmental Science, got 5 offers and then firmed and insured Southampton and Reading.

Im now having second thoughts, the course doesn't sound as appealing to me as it did when I applied and it seems like too much geography and I'm bored of that now.

Im currently studying Physics, Chemistry and Geography and hoping to get ABB, and I now have a greater interest in Chemistry than I've ever had, and, to do the job I am looking forward to doing the most in the future I think a BSc in Chemistry and then a Masters in another field (related) may just get me where I want.

What should I do? I dont know if I can change course now, so do I wait until I get my grades in August? I also dont know how to speak to my parents about it as they have been fully supportive and really helpful getting to where I am now.

Any advice please?

ReputationRep:
    UCAS Extra...
    You have to decline all of your offers (contact UCAS to retract your firm and insurance) and then apply for courses that are apart of UCAS Extra. You can do a course search on the UCAS site.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I was in your situation 3 years ago. Doubted whether I wanted to go the course- I eventually went ahead with it, 6 weeks in was so unhappy, unfulfilled and just had no interest that I dropped out. Now, 2.5years on I'm due to graduate on a course where I've been happy, enjoyed my studies and WANTED to learn.

Go with your intuition, there is always extra, clearing or apply next year

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    You COULD contact S'hampton and ask if it would be possible to transfer courses. Just stress you still want to hold your offer for now if you're not too sure :P

ReputationRep:
    If you really don't want to do the course do the whole UCAS extra thing or just go through clearing.

Or just do as Subcutaneous has said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Firstly I was in your situation 3 years ago. Doubted whether I wanted to go the course- I eventually went ahead with it, 6 weeks in was so unhappy, unfulfilled and just had no interest that I dropped out. Now, 2.5years on I'm due to graduate on a course where I've been happy, enjoyed my studies and WANTED to learn.

Go with your intuition, there is always extra, clearing or apply next year

Good luck
    Thanks for the advice. Did you take a gap year then or did you automatically get onto another course?

I'm not sure i'd be able to write a good PS for chemistry if I went through Extra, and my teachers say that its a complicated procedure to go through?

ReputationRep:
    First contact the Universities in question to see if you can be transferred from one course to the other. If they refuse, then you will have to refuse all of your current choices and go through extra or clearing. You should be able to get some offers there and if not, you will have to apply next year.

Before you do anything you need to be absolutely certain about what you think. I would think about this for a few days first and discuss it with friends and family so that you are absolutely 100% clear of what you want. When you are clear about it, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Right Guard 3.D)
    This year I applied to do Environmental Science, got 5 offers and then firmed and insured Southampton and Reading.

Im now having second thoughts, the course doesn't sound as appealing to me as it did when I applied and it seems like too much geography and I'm bored of that now.

Im currently studying Physics, Chemistry and Geography and hoping to get ABB, and I now have a greater interest in Chemistry than I've ever had, and, to do the job I am looking forward to doing the most in the future I think a BSc in Chemistry and then a Masters in another field (related) may just get me where I want.

What should I do? I dont know if I can change course now, so do I wait until I get my grades in August? I also dont know how to speak to my parents about it as they have been fully supportive and really helpful getting to where I am now.

Any advice please?
    There is NO point doing a degree you will not enjoy. Try extra and if not, apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    There was a reason why you chose environmental sciences. Do you think that maybe you're just having second thoughts for fear of not getting in. Environmental sciences contains a lot of chemistry. If you really decide you want to do chemistry, you can wait until results day, try and persuade the uni's to release your place, leaving you free to apply through clearing for chemistry, you can change to whatever course you want in clearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Right Guard 3.D)
    Thanks for the advice. Did you take a gap year then or did you automatically get onto another course?

I'm not sure i'd be able to write a good PS for chemistry if I went through Extra, and my teachers say that its a complicated procedure to go through?
    The plan was to take a gap year and I applied for nursing- However it was right slap bang in the middle of a recession and i really struggled to get a permanent job. So as my course took january intakes I applied on the offchance, got a place...and here I am getting ready to finish

Best decision I ever made, hands down.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.