Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm going to be an NQT next year, and I'm currently looking for a full-time job for next year. I'm also interested in starting an MSc in Anthropology of Childhood, youth & education next year, but the part-time course requires a full day of uni attendance once a week. Does anyone know if it would be possible to have a full day off to attend uni?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, but don't you already have 60 masters credits from your PGCE to put towards this?

I know it probably doesn't answer your question, but I'm interested in what you can do with those masters credits.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you secured a part-time position it would be possible because you'd only be available 4 days a week (would it be every week?) Working part-time would probably extend your NQT year though.

I imagine that doing a masters during your NQT year would be a tough slog!! How are you finding the PGCE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    Probably not, but don't you already have 60 masters credits from your PGCE to put towards this?

I know it probably doesn't answer your question, but I'm interested in what you can do with those masters credits.
    That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. Yes, I have 60 M level credits, but they wouldn't count towards this masters, at least I don't think they do (maybe for options). I'm really interested in traditional master in education. I'm hoping to teach for a few years (hopefully taking on a pastoral role, complete a masters during this time, and then move on to a PhD that combines the MSc I mentioned above and second language acquisition/socio-linguistics. I love teaching, but I want to conduct research as well, but I don't feel I'd be qualified unless I'm a teacher first.

IoE has an okay masters similar to the one above, but it isn't the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JupiterSunshine)
    Maybe if you secured a part-time position it would be possible because you'd only be available 4 days a week (would it be every week?) Working part-time would probably extend your NQT year though.

I imagine that doing a masters during your NQT year would be a tough slog!! How are you finding the PGCE?
    Unfortunately, I don't believe I could afford to work part-time. I know it would be hard work, but I know several who have managed a masters whilst completing their NQT year.

As for the PGCE, I'm finding it easier than I expected. The most frustrating thing is having no control over your placements or what classes you are given. It's also frustrating because you're a bit of an outsider, although this can vary from placement to placement. I was more included at my first placement, but I was the only PGCE in the department and one of four in total. At my second placement, there are 6 PGCE students in my department and 20 overall, so your less included by the faculty. It's not easy, but I still have plenty of time to have a life, and I'm doing well on the course! My observations are out of the way and I have one more 8,000 word essay to write over the half term.

I just might be forced to postpone a masters for a year. After completing my NQT year, then maybe I could go part-time, just having one day off. Or, maybe I'll find a similar enough course.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    The masters credits you gain from your PGCE can only be used towards a masters in education. No university would let you transfer them towards a normal masters; and in this sense most applicants are being lied to about their usefulness. In fact, I think most universities would be dubious about the credits being at masters level at all. Just because the government want teaching to become a masters level profession does not mean it will actually happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1tsun3)
    That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. Yes, I have 60 M level credits, but they wouldn't count towards this masters, at least I don't think they do (maybe for options). I'm really interested in traditional master in education. I'm hoping to teach for a few years (hopefully taking on a pastoral role, complete a masters during this time, and then move on to a PhD that combines the MSc I mentioned above and second language acquisition/socio-linguistics. I love teaching, but I want to conduct research as well, but I don't feel I'd be qualified unless I'm a teacher first.

IoE has an okay masters similar to the one above, but it isn't the same.

Aaah I want to study second language acquisition and socioling too! :p:

Good luck to you though.

(Original post by evantej)
    The masters credits you gain from your PGCE can only be used towards a masters in education. No university would let you transfer them towards a normal masters; and in this sense most applicants are being lied to about their usefulness. In fact, I think most universities would be dubious about the credits being at masters level at all. Just because the government want teaching to become a masters level profession does not mean it will actually happen.

Well, a masters in education is still better, for employment prospects in education, than no masters at all. You can always get a second one later if that floats your boat, right?

ReputationRep:
    [...] Well, a masters in education is still better, for employment prospects in education, than no masters at all. You can always get a second one later if that floats your boat, right?
    Most teachers I have spoken to are even sceptical of it. Unless it improves what you get on the pay scale, I do not see any reason for wasting your time never mind your money on it (some local authorities pay for their teachers to do it, some do not). :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Most teachers I have spoken to are even sceptical of it. Unless it improves what you get on the pay scale, I do not see any reason for wasting your time never mind your money on it (some local authorities pay for their teachers to do it, some do not). :confused:

Yeah, you have a good point.

I must admit I was more excited about it when I thought I could put the credits towards a Masters in Linguistics.

The M-level assignments will be good practice though!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you have a good point.

I must admit I was more excited about it when I thought I could put the credits towards a Masters in Linguistics.

The M-level assignments will be good practice though!
    The M-level can't even be carried over into all Masters in Education programs, only to certain ones. I don't want it. I don't see the point. The masters I am interested in will be valuable, especially in education, more so for me personally than financially. Plus, it would help prepare me for the areas of Linguistics I am interested in.

I would love to do a MA in Linguistics (especially as SOAS), but it's so hard to find a part-time evening course. That seems to be the case in England. I don't want to do my PhD here, but I'd like to complete my masters whilst teaching here. There's better funding elsewhere for PhDs.

From the looks of it, I might just have to focus on my NQT year, complete the CELTA with YL, and then try and find a part-time position the following here, giving me the day I need to work on my masters.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.