The Student Room Group

People in Year 12 or below: Are you still going to university now fees have risen?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
anyone put off by the fees rise shouldnt have been going to uni in the first place
the fees are done fairly, unless you earn over 30k average in your life your going to pay back less than the current system.
Student finance debt isn't a real debt and you dont have to worry about it
Reply 81
Original post by RobertWhite
Umm, 9% of 25k a year is 2250 pounds...?

i think u need to look into this
9% on anything OVER 21k so 9% of 4k
From a kid who does Economics I would say the demand for Universities in general is price inelastic (demand will not respond much to a change in price) for many reasons. I'll still be going and I'm sure a lot of other people will have not changed their minds either.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RobertWhite
Umm, 9% of 25k a year is 2250 pounds...?

It's 9% of your earnings above £21,000, so 9% of £4000. Otherwise, where would the incentive to go from a £20k a year job to a £21k job be.
I am still going to go. Fees or no fees.
Reply 85
Original post by f00ddude
i think u need to look into this
9% on anything OVER 21k so 9% of 4k

Ahh, I see, that's not bad... :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by vandub
It's 9% of your earnings above £21,000, so 9% of £4000. Otherwise, where would the incentive to go from a £20k a year job to a £21k job be.

I see, thanks for clearing that up with me!
Reply 87
:yep: I will still go to university. I have aspirations and I am damn sure that no piece of legislature , no matter how big it is , will stop me pursuing them.
Nothing will stop me from doing it. :borat:
Although the unis I want are probably going to charge the maximum £9,000. :getmecoat:
Reply 88
Nothing will stop me going to uni :smile:
Unless i fail my A levels that is...
It won't stop me :smile:
Original post by im so academic
But think about it, generally speaking, those who do Mickey Mouse courses are usually those from poorer-income backgrounds.

What evidence are you basing this claim on?
Original post by Keith Lemon
****ing welsh, you do realise you, along with the Scots are living out of our back pockets?

**** off with your negs, you foreign bastards.

Cae dy geg, y twpsyn cenfigennus :wink:

P.S. It's strange that you call us foreigners, when the Welsh language is one of the most ancient that still exists in the world today and was being spoken in Britain long before English was...
Reply 92
****ing welsh, you do realise you, along with the Scots are living out of our back pockets?

Can't believe people are upvoting this? Racism against the Welsh is okay then.

Well, I'll make no qualms. Says it all about the English. And "foreign"? Funny that you say that actually, the word "Welsh" actually comes from an Old English word meaning something along the lines of "foreigner", despite the fact that we were on this island a thousand years before you... times never change eh.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Curzon
Can't believe people are upvoting this? Racism against the Welsh is okay then.

Well, I'll make no qualms. Says it all about the English. And "foreign"? Funny that you say that actually, the word "Welsh" actually comes from an Old English word meaning something along the lines of "foreigner", despite the fact that we were on this island a thousand years before you... times never change eh.

You've always been ****, stfu.
Reply 94
You've always been ****, stfu.

OK, if you were referring to black people you'd be banned already. Gonna ban this guy mods?

It's not the most eloquently put but it is grossly unfair.
Reply 96
Original post by lilyrawstorne
It's not the most eloquently put but it is grossly unfair.

How exactly is it unfair? If you're moaning about English taxpayers' money going towards the Welsh budget (as well as every other taxpayer in the UK and Wales vice versa), that's how this works. Californians don't moan about it.

What we do with our budget is our business. You haven't given us extra money just so we can keep fees down you know, we have to make sacrifices in other areas. Luckily we have a government in power that actually cares about things like that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Curzon

Original post by Curzon
How exactly is it unfair? If you're moaning about English taxpayers' money going towards the Welsh budget (as well as every other taxpayer in the UK and Wales vice versa), that's how this works. Californians don't moan about it.

... Californians? What do you mean I'm not exactly interested in the niceties of politics. All I think is that it's **** that the English have to pay more than the Welsh and Scotish to be educated by the same institutions when we're all part of the UK
Reply 98
Original post by lilyrawstorne
... Californians? What do you mean I'm not exactly interested in the niceties of politics. All I think is that it's **** that the English have to pay more than the Welsh and Scotish to be educated by the same institutions when we're all part of the UK

Just added to my above post, take a gander.

Well c'est la vie I'm afraid, maybe you guys shouldn't have voted the tories in. We're all part of the UK yep, but we have different governments. There are federations all over the world, I don't know why people in England seem to find it so hard to get their heads around this.

I mentioned California because they generate a massive surplus and subsidise other areas of the USA.
I'm in year 11 and I am still determined to go to University; it's something that I've wanted to do since a young age and I think it's a 'sacrifice' I am willing to make. Education to me is priceless, yes you have to pay for it one way or another, but the benefits from going to uni and getting a good degree cancels out the price you have to pay for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending