Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

wrong a-levels watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I did not know what I wanted to do in university when I were choosing my options, so my connexions advisor told me to do what I enjoy and at least one science or maths at Alevel so I would have more options when it came to choosing a university course. I now know that I want to do history or history and sociology combined, but I feel I've chose the wrong subject combinations as I take History, Sociology, Psychology and Maths. I realise that English would be a better subject to choose rather than maths as it compliments History. I feel that I do not have a good chance at getting on a history course at an AAA-AAB university, even though I'm heading for those grades as other people with similar grades have chosen subjects that are more complimentary. Anyway what I am asking is do you think I have a chance getting into an AAA-AAB university when other people would have better combinations?

ReputationRep:
    You could get an A if you used the right grammar

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I'm writing it on my phone and I can't actually see what I'm writing most of the time because the website takes up a lot of memory. I am predicted As, I just don't think that I have chosen the right combination of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Your A-Levels are perfectly fine for a History degree.

Honestly what is it with TSR today, or is it me. :K:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Your A-Levels are perfectly fine for a History degree.

Honestly what is it with TSR today, or is it me. :K:
    Next year I'm planning to drop Maths, do you think I should pick up AS English? My sixth form makes us take general studies next year as an AS, but they would probably let me take an AS in another subject instead and most people who I know that want to do history at university do english, which makes me think that I need to do English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello94)
    Next year I'm planning to drop Maths, do you think I should pick up AS English? My sixth form makes us take general studies next year as an AS, but they would probably let me take an AS in another subject instead and most people who I know that want to do history at university do english, which makes me think that I need to do English.
    I'm sure many people who do History also did English Lit, because they like it, but that doesn't mean you need it for a History degree (check out entry requirements of unis you want to apply to). But if you have the option of doing English Lit instead of General Studies, yes definitely a good idea.

Personally I wouldn't drop Maths, but Psychology, or Sociology, if you do want to drop one of your subjects. But that is my personal preference. Maths is a very useful subject to have - not for a History degree, but for careers you might want to go into afterwards. Sorry to pull out the cliche but keeping it does keep your options open. (Only if you are good at Maths, obviously.)

Out of your subjects, History and Maths are the most "respected" (traditional). No History admissions tutor is going to turn up his nose at Maths. (Provided you can get the grade you need in it.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I'm sure many people who do History also did English Lit, because they like it, but that doesn't mean you need it for a History degree (check out entry requirements of unis you want to apply to). But if you have the option of doing English Lit instead of General Studies, yes definitely a good idea.

Personally I wouldn't drop Maths, but Psychology, or Sociology, if you do want to drop one of your subjects. But that is my personal preference. Maths is a very useful subject to have - not for a History degree, but for careers you might want to go into afterwards. Sorry to pull out the cliche but keeping it does keep your options open. (Only if you are good at Maths, obviously.)
    Well, in maths I'm predicted a B and the other two are As but I see your point. I think I would probably decide after results in August, thank you for you help
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Your combination is fine, just leave it, get AAA and you are in strong contention for History at a good university.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at some university courses for History, and see if they require any specific subjects. My guess would be that your subject combo is fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahsl)
    Have a look at some university courses for History, and see if they require any specific subjects. My guess would be that your subject combo is fine
    Thank you. I have checked their websites and they only really mention history, but some say that like warwick say you need a good GCSE grade in a foreign language, I got a B in panjabi at GCSE but I dropped it, the GCSE requirements make me think that they are hinting that they want languages and English at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    Your combination is fine, just leave it, get AAA and you are in strong contention for History at a good university.
    Thank you. A few people have now said that it's fine, which is making me feel less paranoid.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.