Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceday)
    Any advice?
    Is this a serious question?

At my university, you need to get over 65 in every piece of coursework and over 70 in the dissertation to get a distinction. In terms of advice, using my situation, I would suggest allocating an appropriate amount of time for the coursework, then spending as much time as possible on the dissertation; that is, you need to get a sense of proportion with regards to coursework. Supervisors expectations will be far higher for the dissertation than they will be for the coursework, seeing as it might be the first time you have taken the subject before, the first time you have written normal essays that long (i.e. 5000 words rather than 2,500-3000) etc., etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Is this a serious question?

At my university, you need to get over 65 in every piece of coursework and over 70 in the dissertation to get a distinction. In terms of advice, using my situation, I would suggest allocating an appropriate amount of time for the coursework, then spending as much time as possible on the dissertation; that is, you need to get a sense of proportion with regards to coursework. Supervisors expectations will be far higher for the dissertation than they will be for the coursework, seeing as it might be the first time you have taken the subject before, the first time you have written normal essays that long (i.e. 5000 words rather than 2,500-3000) etc., etc..
    Thanks for the reply, yes it was a serious question.

ReputationRep:
    My university wanted an average of over 70, and the dissertation counted as 30% of the entire course, so basically, you had to get a distinction in your dissertation if you wanted a distinction overall.
    Firstly length isn't important, my dissertation was 2000 words under (max length 10,000), and I got well over 70 for it, you just have to make sure you're positioning your work correctly in the literature and you have to actually find out something, constantly ask yourself 'what are the weaknesses with this technique/method, and what assumptions have I made, and then either account for them, work them in as error or eliminate them, but never ignore them. Other than that, its like saying 'how do I get a first' main answer, hard work, I don't think many people get distinctions without putting the effort in, but if you're working as hard as you can and not breaking 65 talk to your supervisor and find out how to change it around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostRiot)
    My university wanted an average of over 70, and the dissertation counted as 30% of the entire course, so basically, you had to get a distinction in your dissertation if you wanted a distinction overall.
    Firstly length isn't important, my dissertation was 2000 words under (max length 10,000), and I got well over 70 for it, you just have to make sure you're positioning your work correctly in the literature and you have to actually find out something, constantly ask yourself 'what are the weaknesses with this technique/method, and what assumptions have I made, and then either account for them, work them in as error or eliminate them, but never ignore them. Other than that, its like saying 'how do I get a first' main answer, hard work, I don't think many people get distinctions without putting the effort in, but if you're working as hard as you can and not breaking 65 talk to your supervisor and find out how to change it around.

What subject was it in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceday)
    What subject was it in?
    glaciology

ReputationRep:
    sorry to hijack but I'm interested in the importance of your postgrad GPA as opposed to your undergrad? Obviously your undergrad enables you to get into various schools to undertake further study so do employers stress about the level of grades you've achieved throughout your masters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masterajb)
    sorry to hijack but I'm interested in the importance of your postgrad GPA as opposed to your undergrad? Obviously your undergrad enables you to get into various schools to undertake further study so do employers stress about the level of grades you've achieved throughout your masters?
    Not really, everything is shunted up a bit at masters level anyway, so an essay that would get you 65 at BSc, is more like 55 at MSc, and in addition to that, the pass mark is usually raised from 40% to 50%. Taking this into account, just having a masters will usually be enough to make up for for poor BSc score (i.e. if you got a 2.2 at undergrad, and had an MSc, you would be competing on a similar level as those with a 2.1 or 1st), but I guess if you were competing with someone who also had an MSc, then having a dissertation or merit would help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.