Turn on thread page Beta

What is the better university: University of Edinburgh or Durham University? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. This is a really important question, because I have to make a decision. I've got offers from Edinburgh and Durham. I applied for Business Studies and Law at Edinburgh and for Business and Management at Durham.
    The offer I got for Edinburgh was 5 IB points higher then the one I got from Durham! The offer from Durham is far under my predictions, so why would I go there.
    I looked at the rankings and internationally Edinburgh is ranked very well. However in the UK Durham is ranked better. I am confused.
    I have not been to Edinburgh or Durham, however from what I hear Edinburgh has to be a great place.
    What is your opinion? What university is more prestigious?
    Please help me!!! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You appear to be rejecting Durham because...they gave you a lower offer? I'm confused.
    Have you looked at the course? Which one do you like the look of more? Don't just go on things like rankings.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh's cheaper. If you're not from the UK and from the EU, which you may be as you're doing the IB, Edinburgh will be free, compared to Durham which will cost around three thousand pounds a year. Just something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the Durham Campus where the undergrad business courses are taught, Stockton is about half an hour from proper Durham and has limited students (around 3000) so may not offer the University experience that you'll get from your other option.
    Also Business and Law is more employable that straight Business as it allows for a wider amount of skills to be learnt and demonstrated to employers once you graduate.
    Ultimately however, the choice comes down to the University where you'd feel the most able to continue your education, prestige should play little to no part in choosing where you want to study for the next 3/4 years of your life.

ReputationRep:
    I think the real question is really whether or not you want to study law - it's more important to get the course right for you than the place.

In terms of reputation, which seems to be worrying you, I'd say the two are pretty similar. In the UK, Durham perhaps has a marginally better reputation (some might disagree, it isn't black and white!) from what I hear, Edinburgh has a better international reputation, if that matters to you. So there's my uninformed two cents.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    1. How much do you want to study law with business?
    2. You should visit if you haven't already.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.