Turn on thread page Beta

How to deal with a tailgater + on the phone at the same time? watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    AFAIK its always the tailgaters fault if they go in the back of you, even if you stop for no reason. This is because it is always your responsibility to ensure that you can stop within the distance that you can see to be clear on your side of the road. There is nothing illegal about applying your brakes.

(Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Braking isn't dangerous. There's a low chance of there being a camera, and if they do into the back of you they have no excuse.
    I would have agreed with you initially (so cheers for the neg whoever that was) but if you read my first post i talked about someone who did this and he got the blame cos he caused an accident!!!! it shouldnt be that way round i would completely agree, all im saying is thats what happened to him, so you need to be careful if youre going to do that, and be ready to accept any consequences!!

ReputationRep:
    You can rest your foot on the brake pedal - touching the pedal will turn on the back lights without applying any braking force.

ReputationRep:
    Don't brake or pretend to brake. It's stupid and causes accidents.

In the scenario you have given you already have one idiot - the prat behind - don't make it worse by adding another idiot to the mix.

I would probably not even slow down- stick to the speed limit. I would increase my observations of the road ahead to make sure that nothing was going to cause me to slow down and make sure that I reacted early to any problems, braking very gently as and when I needed to.

If I came up behind another vehicle, just leave a good gap.

If he runs into the back of you, it will, more than likely, be considered to be his fault but do you really want all the hassle that goes along with an accident. You cannot make him back off, you just have to be doubly vigilant.

It's not a perfect solution but I think is probably the best.

ReputationRep:
    I've (but never in a vehicle I don't want to get damaged) completely dropped the anchors in the past. I had one guy tailgating me whilst on his phone once whilst I was doing 60 on a 60 limit road for about 5 miles. He had plenty of opportunities to overtake but never did, just kept tailing. I eventually lost patience with it and slammed on the brakes as hard as I could - I've never seen anyone look so utterly terrified in my life! Anyway, it definitely stopped him tailgating, he backed off quite considerably after that.

I also used to have to drive the A14 on a regular basis and that has average speed cameras on it - I didn't need to speed and risk getting points, so I never did. On several occasions though, I'd be overtaking a lorry/a few lorries in a row and I'd find a high performance vehicle (usually brand new Range Rovers) approaching at high speed and proceeding to sit on my tail flashing their lights at me. With that, I always just used to take my foot off the accelerator and drop to 50MPH or something and then speed back up - I am not going to be intimidated into speeding and losing my licence because someone following me can't wait a few seconds for me to overtake a lorry. That one always worked too

The first is NOT a good idea really - I really, really, really don't recommend doing it, whereas the second is much less dangerous and less likely to cause an accident. If you want to stop someone tailgating, the best option is probably to slow to the point where they will overtake you instead of tailgating rather than slamming on the brakes, as I suspect that could be construed as dangerous driving and you risk doing a lot of damage both to yourself and the tailgater.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest a few options. Just use whichever is most useful at the time. What you do may depend on the road type you're on, the speed, the volume of traffic and the closeness of the follower.

- Back off a little and increase your following gap (then you can slow down more gradually if the vehicle in front brakes).

- When braking, touch the pedal lightly to show the brake lights for a couple of seconds before you squeeze to lose speed. Gives the driver time to notice and start slowing.

- Slow down gradually and move in to the left (perhaps with use of L indicator) to encourage the tailgater to overtake.

- Turn off for a second then rejoin, or go right round a roundabout and then take your exit to loose the follower if you have the chance.

- Sometimes speeding up may help, but don't be pressured into speeding or travelling faster than you are comfortable with. Beware that if he doesn't back off, the situation becomes worse.

- A light touch of the brakes without slowing may help to discourage, but will only work once or twice maximum without causing anger, which is never a good idea.

- Ensure you're looking and planning far ahead so you're less likely to have to react and brake suddenly, which may cause problems. Keep an eye on what the driver is doing (especially when you're planning and starting to brake), but don't allow yourself to become distracted from what's ahead.

I'm sure there are other things to try too, but these are the sorts of techniques I'd use to deal with an aggressive follower.

ReputationRep:
    Drive really, really slowly to wind him up. When he tries to overtake you, speed up. Just wind him up.

ReputationRep:
    I usually slow right down, to like 15 mph then speed back up to 30 (or 40....), repeat until he ****s off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    Dont... i know someone who actually caused an accident by doing that and he got the blame for it!
    Are you a retard?

ReputationRep:
    One other technique, if you are really seriously worried re a car behind ,is to double tap the hazard warning switch , if need be repeat if he/she does not get the message. You should ensure, whilst operating the switch, that you have complete control and you don't allow your speed to drop as you reach for the switch.

I would not try tapping the brake, if the following car is very close and not paying attention you may press a little hard, slow your car, and cause the event you are trying to avoid.

ReputationRep:
    I normally just ignore a tailgater, it's more important to watch what's in front of you, but if you've got a tailgater just leave some extra room in the front and get on with your driving.

Always keep up with the flow of the traffic and don't be a roadhog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    I would have agreed with you initially (so cheers for the neg whoever that was) but if you read my first post i talked about someone who did this and he got the blame cos he caused an accident!!!! it shouldnt be that way round i would completely agree, all im saying is thats what happened to him, so you need to be careful if youre going to do that, and be ready to accept any consequences!!
    Never happened. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    My dad does it all the time :dontknow:

And anyway, I'm sure he wouldn't have got the blame for it, if someone goes into the back of you it's always their fault.
    fully agree.

ReputationRep:
    In your position I would have taken my foot off the accelerator a bit and let my speed slowly decrease, then speed up again to create a gap between myself and him. Repeat if necessary.

(Original post by Stringer987)
    Man up and get on with the driving? As long as your following the rules your not at fault
    Yes but if ends up taking you off the road that's a lost car and risk of injury... just because you wouldn't be blamed for something doesn't make it a clever idea to try and cause an accident (more aimed at the people suggesting you tap the brakes. If he isn't paying attention there's only one thing that's going to happen) and generally you're going to want to avoid it.

(Original post by MovingOn)
    In your position I would have taken my foot off the accelerator a bit and let my speed slowly decrease, then speed up again to create a gap between myself and him. Repeat if necessary.
    Slowing down in front of a tailgator who's on the phone without showing brake lights is the worst thing you could possibly do.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably not the greatest idea to put your brake lights on. Regardless of how much you slow down, the person tailgating may brake considerably and rather suddenly resulting in the person behind them going straight into the back of that tailgater.

Not worth the trouble. Just ignore him and take pleasure in the fact he's probably getting a bit annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me you wouldnt wanna be infront of me driving real slow on the roads, especially mototways.

If someone is going faster than me i always drive faster or move out the way. People arnt stupid, chances are there was no speed cameras on that road and everyone was doing 30+.

Speed should be context based. E.g. When im driving near a school i dont ever go above 20 even if the limit is 30. In the motorway my minimum speed is 80 assuming good grip and good visibility. My cars brakes and my understanding of distances ensure im never in direct risk of hitting anyone.

I hate lane hoggers the most. Some idiot driving slow in the fast lane i do not like. If that happens to me i drive up close behind them...if they dont move i get even closer and 99% of the time they move out of the way. Its the rule of the jungle, survival of the fittest.

If anyone thinks 70 is where motorway speed limits should be then i advise them to go to m1 or m25 and see real world speeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    If the tailgaters persists let go of the accelerator and perhaps start braking using the gears (but not the brake pedal). Thus your not apply the brake lights and they will edge closer to you and get a shock which tends to lead them to back off.
    Are you serious?
    So you're suggesting people slow down without warning when someone is tailgating?
    Much worse than showing brake lights tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by konvictz0007)
    Trust me you wouldnt wanna be infront of me driving real slow on the roads, especially mototways.

If someone is going faster than me i always drive faster or move out the way. People arnt stupid, chances are there was no speed cameras on that road and everyone was doing 30+.

Speed should be context based. E.g. When im driving near a school i dont ever go above 20 even if the limit is 30. In the motorway my minimum speed is 80 assuming good grip and good visibility. My cars brakes and my understanding of distances ensure im never in direct risk of hitting anyone.

I hate lane hoggers the most. Some idiot driving slow in the fast lane i do not like. If that happens to me i drive up close behind them...if they dont move i get even closer and 99% of the time they move out of the way. Its the rule of the jungle, survival of the fittest.

If anyone thinks 70 is where motorway speed limits should be then i advise them to go to m1 or m25 and see real world speeds.

But there was nothing on the outside lane, he could easily have overtaken me, but deliberately wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnVogue)
    But there was nothing on the outside lane, he could easily have overtaken me, but deliberately wasn't.
    I guess you could:

Move in to the outside lane and then slot back in behind him again,

or

Pull over.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.